Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Changing clothes after dinner

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by cillovely, Jul 21, 2004.

1. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Trish, you have a very good point, and after thinking about it, I think you're absolutely right. I can see how you could lose some of the ambience if not everyone was dressed.

I'm with ssca - I think the times that I've changed I couldn't breathe because I ate too much in my already tight dress! Not to fear! This next cruise, I'm taking looser dresses - ones with Empire waists - so maybe I can stick it out all night! :grin

2. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Oops sorry folks! Haven't checked this thread in a while. To anyone who has answered my post above, yes, it's your vacation and you wanna be comfy and this and that. I'll never say anything is wrong with that even to this day.

And to that I say, when Debbie and I take a cruise, it's our vacation and this is how we feel comfortable. This is how we strike up conversations with strangers.

bicker: "I suspect that most of the time when you're thinking "shlameel" you're way off-base." Sure, Could very well be. You're not wrong here, it's just an opinion expressed by you and I.

Cill...Don't appologise. Why are you appologising for trying to be comfortable?

I tell you one thing that happened last year on Carnival Legend that tickled me some. Some folk tried to enter the main dining in shorts and were asked to leave. My eyes popped out when the couple tried to argue!! I even felt like getting involved. Obviously he read all about attire before he boarded. So here, it all depends on the Maitre'd. It's his dining room!

3. Kat1613

Kat1613 Guest

Since RCI does not adhere to the dress guidelines that they suggest, than really anything goes. If you are comfortable dressing up -fine. You shouldn't judge people because they do not. The dress code suggestion is for the dining room as you will see in your compass the windjammer is mentioned everynight at alternative and for casual dress therefore, the rest of the ship is casual dress. Since the dress in the dining room is Not enforced, then wear what you want and don't worry about what others are wearing. I barely noticed what others were wearing as I didn't care. If I wanted to dress every nite for dinner than that is what I did -who gives a hoot about what someone else at the next table is wearing?? That is so trivial.

4. Tanya

Tanya Guest

Personally, I do not understand the deal about dressing up on vacation. I have always thought dressing up as something I had to do for work parties, socials and so forth and that on vacation I would prefer to be more relaxed and so forth. I definitely do not feel more comfortable and relaxed in panty hose and high heeled shoes. To each his own....

Saying that, however, I do believe that for the mostpart, everyone should try to adhere to the dress code set forth by the ship or cruise line. For example, I do not think anyone should try to pull off something totally the opposite by trying to get in the main dining room with shorts, bathing suits or jeans......but at the same time, I realize that not everyone can afford to go and buy a tuxedo or rent one or can even afford to by a evening gown. I realize that some people go on cruises because getting a inside cabin can often be the best priced vacation they can afford and cannot afford to buy things such as evening gowns or tuxedo's that they may never use again. I then think if that is the situation, and it is probably that way for most, then Sunday attire (church wear) should be acceptable. I have been on three different cruise lines and all three had more people wearing this type of attire than evening gowns and tuxedo's.

Most of all, I am not worried about what others wear unless its offensive. I personally am more offended by some of the bathing suits I have seen on these cruises than anything else. Don't they realize kids are onboard? My main hope for all who are fortunate enough to cruise, is for all to realize how lucky they are to do so as I certainly feel blessed to have such opportunities and I wish that all have a great time and relax and enjoy themselves.

Tanya

5. bicker

bicker Guest

"Don't they realize kids are onboard?"

That's actually a major gripe that I've seen people write about on these boards. It is the parent's responsibility to handle the children and worry about what they're seeing/not seeing, not that of other passengers, wearing perhaps the latest fashions.

6. IBCAR18

IBCAR18 Guest

I totally agree with Tanya's post above!!!!

7. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

bicker.. yes! that's the root. I only wish the parents can take full responsibility of what their kids do. Why is it the resposibility of the staff on deck or the cabin stewards, or even the purser's desk to look after the kiddies?

8. Tanya

Tanya Guest

I agree that parents are responsible for their kids on the cruises. I also agree that some people do not watch over their kids well enough on cruises but for the mostpart I think most do well. One of my pet peaves is children playing with the elevators. However when it comes to the bathing suits that are indecent(at least indecent to me) such as g-strings and so forth, even responsible parents have NO way of knowing when going to the pool area if there will be someone there with one of these suits on until you are already down there and often its too late and your children have already seen the person's body. Often, we will already be there and these people come with these suits on after we are already there. It is then that we have to leave to afford the person the right to wear whatever they want. Children and their parents have paid for their right to be a passenger just as anyone else and it would just be nice to see everyone respecting each other. I as a parent, would try to protect my child from such things at all lengths if possible.

Adults often have a pool designated for them only on these cruises while children do not. Children want to enjoy the pool as much as anyone else.

Its really a matter of what is more important to you.....

Post Edited (08-02-04 12:11)

9. bicker

bicker Guest

Thanks for recognizing that what may be indecent to you may not be indecent to others. Given that, though, I'm sure you can see how it would be unreasonable to expect others to comply with a standard that they don't share. If your own personal standards are tighter than the requirements of the ship, the onus falls on you to take precautions, rather than on others to modify their plans for enjoying their vacation to accommodate your preferences. While you're correct that you have the right to be a passenger just like anyone else who pays the fare, that doesn't include being able to impose restrictions on other passengers. It only allows you to partake of whatever you choose to partake of, as it is provided.

10. Dolores

Dolores Guest

Bicker,

Allow me to throw my 2 cents in here! It is people's attitudes like yours that are causing the downfall of this country. No one is trying to impose restrictions on anybody. It is a basic sense of morality, common sense, and RESPECT that should keep the g-strings out of the public venues. I agree with the poster that stated there are adult only areas where these types of suits could be worn. I am so totally sick of hearing people say, "It is my right!!!" Yes, we all have rights. But, you know what? The minute your rights overstep my rights, is the moment we all should take a step back and think about what is common decency. I remember one time standing in a line at a bank, when this man and woman came in. There were about 7 people in line in front of them, and 4-5 behind them. The man started degrading this woman right in public in front of everyone, calling her names, etc. She repeatedly asked him to keep his voice down. He was cussing with the "f" word and "gd". A woman in front of me turned around and kept looking at him, but he kept on. Finally, I turned around and said, "Would you please watch your language while you are in this line. The rest of us here don't want to hear you." He shut up for a minute, everyone else applauded, and then he grumbled, "I have a right to talk any way I want". So, again, I turned around and said, "Yes, you are correct. You have a right to talk anyway you want as long as you are on your private property and you are not offending anyone else. And here, you are offending me, so please stop!" His wife was begging him to shut up, so he finally did. I wondered why someone would put up with such a jerk! I realize too, that everyone has different values, and different ideas of what is proper or not, but respect for others is a common emotion that everyone would be better off displaying! And, the swimsuit issue is a matter of respect!!! Period!!!!

11. Just my $.02...
    I cruise with my kids ...2 girls 20 and 17 and a son 16 ... part of our cruise experence is derssing up for dinner, we make a big deal out of it :).... it is the only time my kids get to experence a nice dinner and getting all dressed up .... but at the same time if you want to go to the dinning room in shorts and a t shirt go for it ... I have never seen anyone dressed that way on formal night. ..... You are on vacation do what feels good !!!!!

12. bicker

bicker Guest

"Allow me to throw my 2 cents in here! It is people's attitudes like yours that are causing the downfall of this country."

The feeling is mutual.

"No one is trying to impose restrictions on anybody."

You are mistaken.

"It is a basic sense of morality, common sense, and RESPECT that should keep the g-strings out of the public venues."

Rather, it seems to be more of a personal sense of desire to control others that is at work here. You evidently want to control what others believe and what others do, by dictating that morality is what YOU say it is, common sense is what YOU say it is, and respect is what YOU say it is. As my mother loves to say, "Who elected you King?"

We can even see clear signs of the malicious intent in your words, by the fact that you've distorted a thong bikini into a "g-string". Why did you find it necessary to lie about what we were talking about?

"I am so totally sick of hearing people say, "It is my right!!!""

I'm sure the rights of others is of great concern to you. Luckily, this country was founded based on the principle of freedom.

"The minute your rights overstep my rights, is the moment we all should take a step back and think about what is common decency."

Common decency is NOT what you say it is. It is, rather, what society says it is. This is reflected in the society's laws, not what one random person says on a message board. Common decency is to respect everyone's beliefs, not just one's own.

"I realize too, that everyone has different values, and different ideas of what is proper or not, but respect for others is a common emotion that everyone would be better off displaying!"

Charity begins at home.