Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Cheaper option than parking at Port of Miami?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by beemarie, Nov 16, 2007.

1. beemarie

beemarie Guest

Hi Cruise experts!

We're going on our first cruise this December and will be driving down first to Naples, FL (from out of state) to visit relatives then heading over to the Port of Miami to board our ship. Parking will be about $140 in the garage for the week, which seems so steep!

Any advice about other options, or should we just suck it up and pay the parking deck fees because it's easier?

Thanks in advance!

2. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

Hello beemarie. I really don't have an answer for you, as this won't really save you any money, but just suggesting that IF you choose to arrive in Miami the day before the cruise, you could choose to stay the night in one of the hotels that offer free cruise parking for those guests who stay with them the night before the cruise.

I know there are a few hotels that do offer it, although I have never used the service ourselves. You would put that $140 toward the hotel cost, and get a different value for your money.

With your family visit being only about two and a half hours away, you don't really NEED to arrive the day early, but it does still have it's advantages.

Driving the day before still has potential for automobile difficulties, ie: breakdowns, accidents, traffic tie ups, any of which could delay your arrival, possibly late enough to miss the ship.

Arrrivng the day before gives you a chance to see the sights in your embarkation city a bit.

It usually allows for an earlier arrival at the pier, giving you more time on the ship for your first day.

And you arrive rested, without the fatigue of a long car ride.

Some of those hotels may even have a shuttle to the port. You could ask on the Community page for the names of hotels with the free parking.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

I meant to day "driving the day of the cruise" instead of "Driving the day before" . Sorry to confuse.

4. spfzero

spfzero Guest

Hi Beemarie...

Not sure if you left yet or not but just fyi in general, I would advise getting to the port early, I recently returned from a cruise on the Imagination (more on that later and it's recent facelift); and I got to the port a bit late, not only was the parking lot full, the garage was too, finally at the third stop I ended up all the way on the sixth floor which is open air top of the garage....it's bad enough paying 20 dollars a day for parking...but 20 dollars a day to park outside in an open air lot? or have your car exposed to the elements on the top floor of the garage? I wasn't happy! (I drive a convertible).

5. beemarie

beemarie Guest

Thanks for the advice, Gayle!

Spfzero, how late did you get there? That is worrisome!

6. viet630

viet630 Guest

I don't know of a cheaper option, but I just went on a 4 day cruise out of Miami with my son and it cost us $800.00 for parking. Absolutley ridiculous.. I will avoid Miami in the future..

7. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

Hello viet630, Did you really mean to say $800 ? Surely you meant $80?

8. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Go to cruiseshipparking.com
    We parked there in Miami. It is near the airport and they shuttle you to port. Very good rate! Book online and it is even cheaper.

9. spfzero

spfzero Guest

I got there about 3:15 ish or so, I know normally they expect everyone to be on board by 3pm, although there were many stragglers. The baggage handlers didn't seem to be worried, as people kept arriving.

The real kicker was even though I was running late, I pulled over for a random spot check at the entrance of the port! I just about had a heart attack! So keep in mind that is a possibility too...and another aside, don't bother dragging with a laptop if you have one, you will be charged the same rates as using their computers and they will make you take the computer out of your bag/skin.

Yes, this trip was an adventure for me! and that was before I got onboard!