Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

children's dining room attire

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by SCRAPPERGIRLISI, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Help everyone!!! Gosh I have come to rely on all of you for the info instead of the cruiseline...lol...anyways...we are going on the Ectasy 4-26-04- in a few days, short 4 night trip...and I am hearing alot of conflicting info on the dressing room dress for the adults even...so what about the children? I think I've got my hubby and I figured out, but we have a 16month old, 7 year-old, and 10 year-old I'm trying to pack for! What is teh dress for them? What is the dress on formal night for them? (not sure if they will stay with us on formal night or want to be in camp carnival yet?) I'm not worried about the long dinners- they will be fine- have had practice at nice dinenrs with multiple courses .., But what about the clothes? They go to a private Christian school and wear uniforms, so honestly they either have play clothes or uniforms and then "church clothes"...I don't want them to overdress or underdress....may have to go shopping 1st but trying to avoid it...what do you recommend? like kakis? (sp?) Just want to look nice and be comfortable! Thanks!

2. beccabt

beccabt Guest

I have two kids 10 and 11, my son wears a suit on formal nights my daughter wears a dress every night.They think its fun to get dressy.However, as long as kids aren't in ratty jeans I think they'll be ok.They aren't strict with them as far as being formal goes.I went to Goodwill for some of their nice stuff, since they mostly live in jeans and t-shirts ha ha and I didn't want to spend a fortune.Khakis (sp) should be fine I would think. I've read other posts about kids wearing nice jeans even and nothing was said. So relax and do what you are comfortable with ;')

3. jedgar

jedgar Guest

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.

4. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Scrapper, you don't say what sex your children are but for girls, a skirt and blouse or a nice dress is called for on formal night- or any night. For boys, at least a shirt and tie for formal night- a coat and tie would be better. Our sons were 8 and 10 for their first cruise. They loved getting dress up in their sports coats and ties. Other nights they wore nice slacks and shirts for dinner. As for your toddler, I don't think it would matter much. The older ones are old enough to understand that "dressing for dinner" is part of the custom and tradition of cruising. If you play it up as a treat and not a chore, it will be great for all of you. If, on some night they are not in the mood to dress up, then just relax and have supper in the Lido where they can have pizza or whatever is on the buffet. You don't have to eat in the dining room every night.

5. imlulu

imlulu Guest

My boys wore khakis/cargo with a camp shirt (short sleeve buttond down ..wear tshirt underneath..think gap..old navy..abercrombie) on casual nights.On formal night, they wore khaki dockers with an oxford, tie,and navy blazer. We did a 5 night. My then 9yr old niece wore dresses. Church clothes are fine for formal especially on a 4day cruise. Your little one isnt old enough to particpate in camp carnival(2 yrs old). I think however they offer babysitting for port days. My boys were 4 and 10 on their 1st cruise and they did fine. It has become their favorite vacation.

6. oh sorry, the older kids- 7 and 10 are boys...the toddler is a girl and naturally she has lots of dresses and is ready to go! The boys are looking forward to dressing up- I wasn't sure how dressed up to get on formal night is all...I figured nice casual button/collared shirts and kakis for regular dining nights...its the formal night I wasn't sure if dress pants and long sleeve shirt are ok or if they suits? Honestly new suits aren't in the budget right now...sigh....but Ill ask around at church and maybe we can borrow a basic black suit jackets...weve got the dress pants and shirts covered. Thank you!

7. beccabt

beccabt Guest

it sounds like you've got it covered, don't go nuts trying to find boys suits.May I suggest just adding a clip on tie for formal nights ( if you decide not to get suits) , it adds some fomality to an outfit and the ties are a heckuva lot cheaper. Anything appropriate for church I'm sure is nice enough for dinner.

8. imlulu

imlulu Guest

You dont need a suit. I boguht my boys blazers at a thrift shop...$2 a piece.

9. bconley24

bconley24 Guest

Does anyone know if there is a tuxedo/suit rental store available on board?

10. steph_texas

steph_texas Guest

My son will be wearing a long sleeve button up w/ tie - no jacket ! I really dont think a jacket is necessary... but if you want to go all out... then go for it ! Have fun cruisin... we are 2 weeks off now ! Cant hardly wait !!

11. Is it okay for younger children age 5 & 6 to go without the ties?

12. Honestly, I think its silly to hold children to the exact same dresscode as adults! I understand nice, church or restaurant type clothes...but little suits and ties...seems a bit much, esp when like us, we have 4 children, only 3 going this time, and they grow out of this 1 outfit before they will ever wear it again ...ugh! WE are only going on a 4 nighter, my hubby and I are going formal and I will do my best to make them look as dressed up as possible without breaking the bank! In my opinion, its the children's behavior which should be priority or their attire! Anyone else agree? But thanks for all of your input- I'll let you know how it works out for those of you who set sail after I return!

13. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

If your boys are like mine they are not going to want to wear a tie and jacket. My son was 12 on our last cruise and I had to beg him to wear a button down shirt and tie. When we got the dining room there were a lot of people not nearly as dressed as him...boy was I in trouble.....Don't think I will force him next time at all to get that dressed up.

14. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Cole617 wrote:

> If your boys are like mine they are not going to want to wear a
    > tie and jacket. My son was 12 on our last cruise and I had to
    > beg him to wear a button down shirt and tie. When we got the
    > dining room there were a lot of people not nearly as dressed as
    > him...boy was I in trouble.....Don't think I will force him
    > next time at all to get that dressed up.
    >
    >

Many people would suggest that twelve years old is a little late to start dressing him properly- several years too late. Even if a boy -or his dad- are not used to dressing up (never go to funerals, weddings, graduations?) Mom can still make it a positive thing by letting her expectations be known and by educating the gentlemen in her life as to the custom of dressing properly for cruise dinners. You're taking a special vacation, dressing up one night is part of what makes it special. And you can always do a practice run by having everyone dress up and go out to a nice restaurant some night before the cruise.

15. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Scrapper, bless you, your heart is in the right place. A nice shirt and tie would be great. No need to go out and buy suits for the kids because, by the time the ship sails, they will probably have outgrown them! (been there!) As someone suggested, you might be able to find a sport coat or blazer at a thrift shop, if you want to, otherwise, don't worry about it. You're providing the boys with a great experience. And taking a baby along, too! What a challenge. I hope you and Dad get some quality alone time sometime during the cruise.
    Looking forward to your report when you get back.

16. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Paradisebound asked:
    <<Is it okay for younger children age 5 & 6 to go without the ties?>>

Sure, it's okay. But what an enhanced experience they would have to be dressed up like "the big boys, and dad" with a little clip on tie! If you make it fun for them, they will anticipate the big dinner and getting dressed up.

17. imlulu

imlulu Guest

A 4 day cruise is not as formal as a 7 or 10 day cruise. My boys wore stuff they would use again except for the blazers(that is why I got them at a thrift shop). The cargos and shirts they wear to school. The oxford and ties get worn during Christmas. Also my oldest plays in the school band and they wear ties/oxfords/dockers/dress shoes as their uniform. You are the adult and only you can decide what is right for your family. For me, it was no biggie as they had almost everything and what they didn't have they would use again. Have a great trip! My boys had the best time and absolutely love cruising. All the expense, stress of planning a cruise was worth every penny when we saw their faces! Enjoy!

18. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

imlulu wrote:

> A 4 day cruise is not as formal as a 7 or 10 day cruise.
    > >

I'm not sure I agree with that. A formal night is a formal night, regardless of whether it is a 4 day cruise or a round-the-world cruise.

Post Edited (04-20-04 09:32)

19. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

Directed to Kensterfly

First of all let me say who the HELLO do you think you are????????????????????????????

I posted: that my 12 year old son was not happy wearing a tie to dinner and their were others not as dressed up as him on a 3 night cruise.....................howver he did wear a tie. My son has worn suits on appropriate occassions.......but does he have to like it??????????? what 12 year old really really likes wearing a suit and tie? hmmmmmmm now a 12 year old girl wearing a long dress or a beautiful party dress they would be in their glory i am sure.

QUOTE from me:

If your boys are like mine they are not going to want to wear a tie and jacket. My son was 12 on our last cruise and I had to beg him to wear a button down shirt and tie. When we got the dining room there were a lot of people not nearly as dressed as him...boy was I in trouble.....Don't think I will force him next time at all to get that dressed up.

UN-QUOTE

Kensterfly response:

Many people would suggest that twelve years old is a little late to start dressing him properly- several years too late. Even if a boy -or his dad- are not used to dressing up (never go to funerals, weddings, graduations?) Mom can still make it a positive thing by letting her expectations be known and by educating the gentlemen in her life as to the custom of dressing properly for cruise dinners. You're taking a special vacation, dressing up one night is part of what makes it special. And you can always do a practice run by having everyone dress up and go out to a nice restaurant some night before the cruise.

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO MAKE SUCH A STATEMENT THAT IT IS TO LATE TO HAVE MY 12 YEAR OLD LEARN TO DRESS PROPERLY? YOU HAVE A HELL OF A NERVE EVEN SUGGESTING SOMETHING THAT YOU CLEARLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE THE MOST MORONIC PERSON I HAVE EVER SEEN POST ON THESE BOARDS. I POSTED PREVIOUSLY THAT HE HAD WORN A TIE AND THAT I WOULD NOT FORCE HIM TO AGAIN WE WOULD OPT FOR AN ALTERNATE POSSIBLY ON THAT NIGHT. OMG I CAN'T BEGIN TO SAY HOW PI$$$ED OFF I AM RIGHT NOW AT YOUR ARROGANT COMMENT.

sorry about my caps to others reading this but this person really pushed my buttons.

20. PEB

PEB Guest

Kensterfly in one of your posts you say "what an enhanced experience they would have to be dressed up like "the big boys, and dad" now let me say I do dress appropriately for formal nights and I am deffinately a big boy LOL. Let me also say I do hope you enjoy it and I am glad it is there for you and others who enjoy it but other than leaving the ship it is the worst time on a cruise for myself. For some people formal night does NOT enhance the cruise experience in any way, shape or form. It is more of a pain in the backside.

As I said I do dress appropriately and I am glad it is there for you and others who enjoy it but PLEASE do not think, like many others, that it is and should be enjoyed by everyone.

I personally am one who thinks formal nights detract from a cruise experience and not enhance it. I wish you the best.