Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

children's dining room attire

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by SCRAPPERGIRLISI, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

PEB, you obviously feel strongly about this. It's fortunate that you have other options for your evening meal on formal nights. It is a bit of a hassle, packing my tux and dress shoes, but I think it's rather fun and makes for a special night.

2. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

To Cole617, please accept my apologies for the unfortunate choice of words in the opening line of my reply to your post. The intention of the post was to suggest that youngsters usually rise to whatever level of expectations we set for them, if the expectations are set forth in a positive manner. The opening line, I can see now, may have appeared to be a personal attack, to which your irate reaction is entirely justified.
    Again, I am very sorry.

Kenster

3. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

thanks for the appology.........and I do think my kid is capable of "rising" to any occassion put before him....

Just happy I will be on the Miracle in June and you on the Celebration

<sigh>

4. beccabt

beccabt Guest

this isn';t really my business but, cole617, ken issued you a nice apology, didn';t even mention you calling him a moron, and I think you could have been more gracious. I guess I disagree that kensterfly is the most moronic poster on here. ( am I now the worst one?)

scrapper- I only suggested the tie as a less expensive option, a nice shirt and slacks are just fine. As many people have already pointed out in various ways...........as long as kids are presentable, the degree of formality is a matter of what you are happy wearing.

p.s. my 11 year old son LOVES to wear suits, he'd wear them to school if I'd let him.It goes to show that everyone is different , live and let live.

5. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

well goodie for you your son loves to wear a suit and tie. Does everyone have to be the same????????????? My 12 year old does not like to wear suits...should I hang him up by his toes?????????? lol I still think MOST 12 year old boys do NOT like to wear a suit and tie.......But 12 year old girls DO like to get dressed up.....it's why (oh I better not go there) but maybe you will understand the difference now.

You were not the one "attacked" by Kensterfly. I did ACCEPT the appology can you not read? Here let me help you by pasting what i said........

thanks for the appology.........and I do think my kid is capable of "rising" to any occassion put before him....

Just happy I will be on the Miracle in June and you on the Celebration

OK can you see it now? sheesh you just couldn't resist putting your 2 cents in I guess......well have a nice cruise with your kids and I will do the same. Only difference is you can go with your opinion and I will go with mine.

6. steph_texas

steph_texas Guest

Scrapper -
    I visited w/ a TA before booking direct thru Carnival... the TA & Carnival rep both told me that "sunday best" is appropriate for kids of any age. So, dont add pressure to your stress... pack what YOU think your kids will look good in... there is no right or wrong ! Funny enough for us... my son who REFUSES to wear jeans of any kind... actually prefered dockers, slacks... now all of a sudden at the drop of a hat has turned into a clothes horse... HE WANTS TO LOOK NICE ! (Thats a pleasant surprise for any parent - considering most teenagers these days want nose rings, belly rings, and their underwear hanging out of their pants ) Im glad all kids are NOT alike... thank goodness for individuality !!! HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE - get some babysitting for the young one & send the others to camp if you can... get some MOMMY TIME !!

Bon Voyage !

CELEBRATION 05-03-04

7. beccabt

beccabt Guest

Ya know what cole...............of all the things I would like to say to you right now, the main one is that this board is supposed to be for fun.Yes I CAN read, and I can write and if you'll be so kind as to notice I wrote that although my son likes to dress up everyone is different and to live and let live. So goodie for both of us that our kids are different. Next time I'll resist putting my two cents worth in on an opinion board thats open to everyone. If you want to reply please feel free to email me as I'm sure this is boring to everyone else.

8. imlulu

imlulu Guest

All I have to say is I am glad I am on the Miracle in February and not in June. Geesh...

9. Someone need some more bran in their diet....... loosen up folks!

10. hey everyone, thanks fro your help...but please don't fight! And thanks for all of trhe suggestions, I feel better knowing what is appropriate...I'll let you all know how it goes- sailing on Monday! Thanks!

11. Wow, this has gotten lively! I have two teenage boys who don't like to dress up either, so I leave them home when I cruise. (Actually not because of the dress rules, but so I get an adult vacation!) Frankly, I don't care what anyone else wears..it's totally a question of different taste and style. I'd much rather everyone lighten up, worry about themselves only, and be polite and considerate of fellow travelers and the servers!

12. I have a husband who doesn't like to "dress up" either! He thinks that wearing his best Hawaiin shirt "ironed" is dressing up! LMAO! It doesn't make him uncouth- he comes from a good family, has class, impeccable manners, and knows which fork to use in a place setting of 20 utensils. However, he feels wearing a necktie is comparable to wearing a noose! His closet is full of tailored suits and neckties that he wears for work, funerals and weddings. However, cruises are about having fun- we bypassed all formal nights, and had an absolute blast on our own (not participating in mandatory fun.) Most young men, let alone boys, share this dislike of donning a monkey suit. Your cruise is meant to be a memorable experience; why should one have to lug extra luggage for a pretentious "formal night"? You can always get lobster and prime rib at a restaurant at home. Most kids would prefer pizza on the Lido deck, anyway! Take other people's opinions with a grain of salt. Any parent that takes their children on a cruise is a terrific parent! You're on vacation! Have a great cruise!

13. steph_texas

steph_texas Guest

It would be very romantic to take an adult-only cruise... but, that being said... I will take my son on vacations with us as long as he wants to go... wont be long now til mom & dad just arent cool anymore. He will soon have his own life.. so for now... ita all about the family time together !

Scrapper... have a great trip... I will be gone when u get back so I hope to see your post- cruise posts when I get home !!

Bon Voyage -

Steph & guys
    CELEBRATION 05-03-04

14. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

Steph isnt that the truth? How long will your kids really want to go on a "family" vacation. I will continue to take mine as long as he wants to go.....no matter what he wants to wear :)

15. Cole617 wrote:

> Steph isnt that the truth? How long will your kids really want
    > to go on a "family" vacation. I will continue to take mine as
    > long as he wants to go.....no matter what he wants to wear :)
    >
    >

Enjoy them while they still think you're cool! My baby boy turns 16 next month, and along with his 19 year old brother, prefers to spend time with his girlfriend and his guitar to being with boring old me! My daughter, 22, fortunately never went through that stage, but she's away at school and not available. Next year, we are planning a mother-daughter cruise to celebrate her graduation--- and she will love the chance to dress up! (She goes to school in Montreal and most people dress a little more formally than they do here anyway.)