• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Christmas market and light decorations in Stockholm

Funnel

Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor
Last Sunday I was in Stockholm for some Christmas shopping, to visit some small Christmas markets and also to see some of the Christmas decorations.
It was a 2 h drive from my home to the outskirts of Stockholm and then almost 30 minutes by metro downtown (I try not to park my car downtown as it is expensive and very difficult to find parking lots).
As usual I thought I should share some photos from my day in Stockholm.

Can you see the 3 cannonballs in this photo from the old town area of Stockholm?

This is a part of Stockholm seen from just outside of the Royal Castle. Typical for Stockholm is that you are always close to the water. It doesn’t look like winter!

There is an ice skating rink in the “Kungsträdgården†(Kings garden) in the middle of the city.

This is the department store NK (Nordiska Kompaniet/Nordic Company) with the Christmas light decoration. It’s one of the most well known stores in Stockholm.

Inside the NK department store there was a big Christmas tree hanging from the roof.

This is the Grand Hotel with the light decorations.

Here are some lights on a bridge, a Christmas tree and in the background the lights of a cruise ship (Birka Paradise, which makes 24h cruises from Stockholm to the island of Åland/Finland – yep, there you can speak about booze cruises…).

This is a close up of the Christmas tree that can be seen in the photo above.

Some more photos to follow…

/Erik

Funnel

Ok, let’s continue with some more photos from Stockholm.
This is a narrow street in “Gamla stan†(the old town) in Stockholm. It’s called “skipper Olof’s alleyâ€.

It’s maybe a bit difficult to drive a car through there…

Now we have reached the Christmas market in Gamla Stan. It’s not a big market but it’s cozy. This is a part of it.

On a market like this you can find, for example, lot’s of Santas…

…home made candles…

…candy (of course)…

…other Christmas decorations…

…and something to drink.

This is a photo of another area in Stockholm that I took on the way back to the metro.

It was actually a great day as it was sunny, not too windy and about 36F. Not bad for this time of year.
I managed to do most of the Christmas shopping, only some minor things remains.

It would be nice to see some of the Christmas decorations in the US as I’m sure there are much more lights than over here.

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik - these photos were not taken by me, but I love New York City at Christmas time. It's the one time of year that I miss no longer living there.

The first two photos are of Rockefeller Center with its beautiful Christmas tree, and second with the statue of Prometheus at the ice skating rink.

Here is Radio City Music Hall - each winter offers a fabulous Christmas show for several weeks around Christmastime.

The top of the Empire State Building shows its Christmas colors...

Funnel

Thank you!

Christoffer, I hope you will have a nice trip to Stockholm in January! Hopefully it will not be too cold. I usually freezes my bu.. off when I'm there during the winter due to the wind and high humidity from the Baltic Sea (but maybe you are used to that from Helsinki :whistle:).

Mary Ann, when I was in New York in January 2009 the top of Empire State building was red and yellow. No green color as I can remember. Is it red and green only during Christmas?
I would love to go to New York during December to see the lights and decorations.

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik - when the top of the Empire State Building is lit in colors, it has special meaning - for example red/white/green for Christmas, red/white/blue for a national holiday such as Independence Day (July 4), green for St. Patrick's Day March 17 (very festive in NYC), etc.

Funnel

Mary Ann, thanks for the information!
When I was in NY, January 23 2009, the top of the Empire State building looked like this:

Maybe it was the "Friday-colors". :boogie:

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered

Skipper Olaf's Alley may be too narrow for a car to navigate, but just think how easy it is for a drunk to prop himself/herself up staggering from wall to wall!:whistle:

Christoffer

The Euro Connection Special Contributor
Erik, been there many times during the cold months and been there with some extreme cold days too.
Well, if it's so just some quick shopping and lunch and then back to the ferry. It's all about the weather what I will do there this time, might go again to the Fotografiska.

Seen New York few times with the Christmas decorations, just amazing, nothing like we have over here.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik - the red and yellow you saw probably was honoring China. This is from Wikipedia and gives an example of some of the floodlighting:

Floodlights

The top of the Empire State Building

In 1964, floodlights were added to illuminate the top of the building at night, in colors chosen to match seasonal and other events, such as St. Patrick's Day, Christmas, Independence Day and Bastille Day.[SUP][48][/SUP] After the eightieth birthday and subsequent death of Frank Sinatra, for example, the building was bathed in blue light to represent the singer's nickname "Ol' Blue Eyes". After the death of actress Fay Wray (King Kong) in late 2004, the building stood in complete darkness for 15 minutes.[SUP][49][/SUP]
The floodlights bathed the building in red, white, and blue for several months after the destruction of the World Trade Center, then reverted to the standard schedule.[SUP][50][/SUP] On June 4, 2002, the Empire State Building donned purple and gold (the royal colors of Queen Elizabeth II), in thanks for the United Kingdom playing the Star Spangled Banner during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace on September 12, 2001 (a show of support after the September 11 Attacks).[SUP][51][/SUP] This would also be shown after the Westminster Dog Show. Traditionally, in addition to the standard schedule, the building will be lit in the colors of New York's sports teams on the nights they have home games (orange, blue and white for the New York Knicks, red, white and blue for the New York Rangers, and so on). The first weekend in June finds the building bathed in green light for the Belmont Stakes held in nearby Belmont Park. The building is illuminated in tennis-ball yellow during the US Open tennis tournament in late August and early September. It was twice lit in scarlet to support nearby Rutgers University: once for a football game against the University of Louisville on November 9, 2006, and again on April 3, 2007 when the women's basketball team played in the national championship game.[SUP][52][/SUP]

Empire State Building with normal white lighting, as seen from New Jersey

In 1995, the building was lit up in blue, red, green and yellow for the release of Microsoft's Windows 95 operating system, which was launched with a $300 million campaign.[SUP][53][/SUP]
The building has also been known to be illuminated in purple and white in honor of graduating students from New York University and blue and white in honor of those graduating from Columbia University.[SUP][50][/SUP][SUP][54][/SUP]
The building has been lit in lavender for gay rights events, particularly during Gay Pride Week in June.[SUP][55][/SUP]
Every October 12, in honor of Christopher Columbus, the building is lit in green, white and red to celebrate Columbus Day and the discovery of America.
Every year in September, the building is lit in black, red, and yellow, with the top lights off (for black) to celebrate the German-American Steuben Parade on Fifth Avenue.[SUP][56][/SUP]
Every March 25, the building is lit in blue and white to commemorate Greek Independence Day
The building was lit green for three days in honor of the Islamic holiday of Eid ul-Fitr in October 2007. The lighting, the first for a Muslim holiday, is intended to be an annual event[SUP][57][/SUP] and was repeated in 2008, 2009 and 2010. In December 2007, the building was lit yellow to signify the home video release of The Simpsons Movie.[SUP][58][/SUP]
From April 25–27, 2008 the building was lit in lavender, pink, and white in celebration of international pop diva Mariah Carey's accomplishments in the world of music and the release of her eleventh studio album E=MC2.[SUP][59][/SUP]

The Empire State Building at night with normal white lighting

In late October 2008, the building was lit green in honor of the fifth anniversary of the acclaimed Broadway Musical Wicked by Kerry Ellis and Stephen Schwartz.[SUP][60][/SUP]
Starting in 2008, the building along with New York City and many other cities around the world, participated in Earth Hour. The skyscraper's floodlights were turned off for exactly an hour to conserve energy.
In September 2009, the building was lit for one night in orange colors, in celebration of the exploration of Manhattan Island by Henry Hudson 400 years earlier. The Dutch prince Willem-Alexander and his wife Princess Máxima were present and turned on the lights from the lobby.
In 2009, the building was lit for one night in red and yellow, the colors of the People's Republic of China, to celebrate the 60 years since its founding.[SUP][61][/SUP][SUP][62][/SUP]
On May 25, 2010, the building was lit with blue and white to commemorate the bicentenary of Argentina's May Revolution.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
On July 12, 2010, the floodlights were red, yellow and red, to celebrate Spain´s victory at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.[SUP][63][/SUP]
On July 20, 2010, the building was lit with Colombia's colors, yellow, blue and red, to mark the bicentenary of Colombian independence. It was arranged by the Consulate of Colombia in New York.

The Empire State Building in red, white, and blue lighting in remembrance of the September 11 attacks.

As is traditional every year, on September 15, 2010 the building was lit with Mexico's colors (green, white and red) to mark the anniversary of Mexico's independence.
On April 29, 2011, the building was lit in red, white, and blue, the colors of the Union Flag at sunset in celebration of the Royal Wedding of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Kate Middleton.[SUP][64][/SUP]
On June 24, 2011, the building was lit in a rainbow of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet after New York passed a same-sex marriage bill.[SUP][65][/SUP]
On July 15, 2011, the building was illuminated with red, blue and white for the celebration of Bastille Day.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
On September 12, 2011, the building was illuminated with blue, for the opening of the Memorial section of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

nieciez

Community Sponsor
Erik your pictures are just lovely and I LOVED the pictures of NK Department store and the Christmas Market..I would so love to walk those stalls and shop!