Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Conquest "Cruise from Hell" 2/22/04

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by Nanette, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Nanette

Nanette Guest

Gordon sez:

"Most of us were reading articles while all of this was taking place."

I reply:

This is a wonderful point, Gordon.

You didn't experience this. I did. PERIOD.

If you don't care to read any further posts of mine, then don't do so.

Your sarcasm isn't very becoming, dear.

2. Nanette

Nanette Guest

3. Nanette

Nanette Guest

4. Sodey

Sodey Guest

OK, I can't just let this post go. I've tried and tried but I just have to vent.

The amount of logistics that go in to switching 6,000 people is hard enough without an accident causing a major "Change" in the embarking and disembarking where all guests must be bussed to and from the ship from a new port an hour and a half away.

Throw in a major event such as Mardi Graw and add to it a law limiting the amount of behind the wheel time of bus drivers and you end up with total chaos.

Let's see, 3,000 people divided by 50 capacity per bus plus all the luggage and carry-ons means you would need to find 60 busses to quickly contract with to transport 6,000 people to and from New Orleans and Gulf Port. You seem to think that 24 hours since the accident is enough time. You assume Carnival knew the outcome and could start contracting right away. I don't think this was the case.

If I was a passenger waiting to get on the ship, I would definetly be dissappointed, but I wouldn't be angry with Carnival.

So, Nanette, you seem like a generally nice person but I think you don't have a complaint.

It would be as if I was waiting to take an American Airlines jet on vacation and there was an accident or crash at the airport so I had to be bussed to a different airport while they cleared the runways and began their investigation and rescue efforts. And then because I had to wait a long time to get to the alternate airport and American Airlines appeared to be disorganized, I complained about it. I think I would be way off base with a complaint like that. Sometimes S--t happens!

5. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

It doesn't really seem to me that Nanette is really complaining. Sure, she has expressed her unhappiness at the way she feels the situation was handled, but she has every right to do that. That is what we all do here....share our thoughts and opinions. I am not sure that Carnival is at fault for the inadequate transportation either, but that isn't even the issue. Some of you seem to think that Nanette is a heartless creep who only cared about her vacation while people were missing in the river.

I'm sorry. I don't know her personally so I could be wrong, but I don't get that impression at all. I think she is recounting her experience and her thoughts associated with that experience. ALSO, she tells of a lot of fun and makes many positive remarks about Carnival in her story. There are many, many people who would not, could not, do that.

It's hard when a trip you've looked so forward to for so long is inturrupted....no matter the reason. It is possible to have compassion for others and be disappointed for your own situation at the same time, you know.

Further, Let's not pretend that any one of us wouldn't accept an offer of a free dinner at an alternative restaurant, a discount off of our next cruise or any amount of shipboard credit any time it's offered, regardless of whether or not the reason for the offer was the fault of the cruiseline.

Give her a break, guys.

6. CruisingDiva

CruisingDiva Guest

Re: Conquest

Lizardstew,

You're the only one that said "heartless creep"! lol lol lol Just kidding (no need to get lawyers involved).

I too had a simular experience on the Grand Princess. Due to rough seas, the ship did not reach Fort Lauderdale until 6 hours after it was suppose to leave. The cruiselines bused 3,000 passengers to Tampa, FL to a upscale resort hotel that was closed for the season (This was in November) to wait it out. We were only allowed to wait in a huge ball room and the lobby (no rooms, no beds).

They were able to get a local catering company to come in and feed the masses. Food (for last minute was quite good). It was a sad site to see people laying on the floors, trying to keep babies quit, using their luggage for pillows, etc. People were everywhere.

After the ship finally arrived, the journey back to the dock started all over again. The busing process had to be done in reverse. People were fighting and pushing and shoving to get on the first buses out. It was a zoo! This took place until the wee hours of the morning.

So I know and can understand it can be frustrating with all that waiting. When I sit outside the mall waiting for my mother to come out (usually around 3 hours later) I just want to pull out all my hair. But, I do believe in my heart of hearts that the cruiselines are doing all they can (behind the scenes) to make a unpredictable situation better as best they can.

We just chalked up our delay as a hardy "Oh Well" and tried to find that 'magic feeling' once again and enjoyed our cruise.

I hope you feel better at somepoint and are able to put this in the back of your mind. In that same place were we store those memories like when we found out, there is no Santa Claus! But ya keep havin' Christmas! (smile)

Diva

Post Edited (03-10-04 03:41)

7. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Re: Conquest

Ok now....maybe I should clarify...I only said "heartless creep" to get the point across! I hope I made it clear that I don't think Nanette is anything of the sort, but that I thought others were coming down on her too hard for just expressing her feelings. :)

I think it's unfortunate that anyone has to experience things like this (or like your experience on FLL, CruisingDiva). But I think people have to roll with the punches...which Nanette did.

8. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

I agree!
    Carnival is tottally responsible for the river closing!
    I bet they made those two ships collide!

And those people who died, they probably died on purpose to ruin our vacations!!

LEts send a letter of complain to those widows and orphans!!

... Sorry, I just had to...

9. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

You agree with who?

10. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

I just think its so selfish to focus on the ruined vacation and blame the cruise line for not doing what "we think they should do"
    If we knew so much about logistics and such, we would be working on that field.

I know Carnival guests did not get the worst end of the deal because at least they had to cruise. I do believe the Royal Caribbean guests were still stranded on that Monday.

It's just that this reminds me of my Honeymooon on the IM right after 9/11
    People were so upset because they were getting off their ship right before I boarded, and found out that the airports were closed. Carnival offered to let them go on the next cruise for free and they were so upset at Carnival.

My dinner table was filled with people complaning and upset people, little did they knwo that while they were on a cruise over 5000 people had lost their lives at the WTC.
    When Carnival decided to pick up stranded US tourists in Mexico and Grand Cayman, the situation became even worst! The previous passengers kept saying how they would never sail on Carnival again and they wanted monetary compensation blah blah blah... It made me so sad to see how heartless people could be.

11. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I wonder if you took the time to read Nanette's posts or if you just assume that she is like those people wagging their mouths at dinner on your hoenymoom.

One of the first lines of her very first post says that even though the trip didn't start out great, "let me assure you that we had a LOVELY time". I doubt she spent her time at dinner complaining.

Not only that, but she says that although she was disappionted with what was happening, she was "pleased with Carnival’s offer and ADORE our ship".

My goodness!

12. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

I certainly don't mean to take her words out of context. Her post speaks for itself and it is still there so everyone can see it.

I am not saying she did the very same thing the guests onboard the IMagination did, but it certainly reminded me of that.

I guess I should read her post again because all I saw on the first part of her post was derrogatory comments and they were directed at the line. Nowhere did I see something along the lines of "I know its not their faul ,but..."

She is most entitled to her oppinion and I am glad I got to hear from someone who went through the whole ordeal. I do feel awful for all those people whose vacations were ruined, but for some personal reason I just feel worst for other people with bigger problems.

THank you.

13. ella

ella Guest

Nanette -

I totally empathize with your entire experience. And forget these silly little backlashes - obviously, these people do not put themselves in your position - wasting each minute, each hour after hour - not knowing, just waiting.... Of course everyone feels sorry for the dead people - but life goes on! Ha - I bet that will tick some of you off!

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to right your review. I shall read the rest of it soon. And just remember - there are always people with their opinions out there - right, wrong, or indifferent. I once wrote a review regarding my last Celebrity cruise, and some jacka** wrote me a private email, regarding my comment on the food (which I said was quite bad). He ranted and raved, calling me white trailer trash, and said I wouldn't know a good thing if it bit me. Alrighty then!

Regardless, I wish your cruise had better circumstances, but obviously, one can tell what a wonderful person you are, since you turned sour lemons into lemonade.

14. MissVicki

MissVicki Guest

This is my first time on this message board and I must say i'm a bit taken back by so many people being so angry with this nice lady who just wanted to vent a bit then went on to tell how much fun she had . really to imply that she was angry about people getting killed and writing letters to thier familys is absurd and cruel she was upset with the situation not a personal afront on victims. This I would assume is a place to have fun with people who enjoy and are looking forward to trips not to be judged on everything that is said out of context. Thanks

15. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

If you think this is bad, check out a rival Board whose name I shall not mention, but whose initials are "CC" . This is "Paradise" and "Elation" compared to that Board! I couldn't believe what some posters got away with on that site, and they definitely play favorites! Hosts - please advise me if I've violated any guidelines, as that was not my intentiion. Thanks.

16. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Diver~I don't think you have anything to worry about! :)

17. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

(Breathing sigh of relief)...Thanks, lizardstew. Appreciate it. It's refreshing to be here. After a few weeks of trying to post advice and experience, and being flamed and called names, it's definitely refreshing to be here!

18. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

As you can see, we definitely have some passionate, opinionated people here. But I can honestly say that I have rarely seen outright name calling. I have seen some flaming, but our Capt. John usually keeps that stuff under control. (Trust me, if you'd violated any guidelines, the post would be gone by now!)

For the most part, we have nice, helpful, wonderful people here who are more than happy to give tips and advice....many of whom think of the rest of the board as a second family. So....=welcome....glad to have you! :grin

19. Nanette

Nanette Guest

Many thanks to those FEW of you who ACTUALLY read my "review". I appreciate it. As for the rest of the posters......

*thumbing my nose*

20. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

Theres also an alt. newsgroup that can get pretty vicious at times. THis one is tame.

Jim