Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Could you spare a little prayer?

Discussion in 'The Safe Harbor' started by reggae, Jan 14, 2009.

1. reggae

reggae Guest

My son is having surgery on his knee tomorrow (Thurs.) to repair the ACL and meniscus, and to replace damaged cartilage.

Unfortunately, with all the wakeboard and snowboarding, he has finally messed up his knee pretty badly. He's been putting off seeing the surgeon, but when he did, they wanted him in right away. (My dear friend, Karry, has kindly helped with all my knee questions)

So tomorrow is the day....his Dad is already with him (on the other side of the state) and I'm leaving real early tomorrow to be there, and to stay with him for the rest of the week.

He's a little nervous (and I am too), so any prayers would be appreciated.

p.s...........I already got the "don't worry, Mom"....

2. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

=hugs Um Patty.. Lord have mercy, can we stop sharing..you got your share, and me mine..:(.. all these lovely health issues.The nasty Oncology stuff,we have seemed to corner the market lately!!..:(..
    Dear Michigan Lady Sistah!!l.. I want just good stuff for you!!.You need a real break, and some heart-warming stuff, and my DS Stephen wrecked his knee in 2005 ..3 days before a 14 day cruise..:grin..so I truly have had that baton, and it needs to get buried in a dark hole somehere's!!.
    HUGE prayers for your son..:daisy..he will be fine, but it's the Momma worry rule..*sigh*I have more stinking ways to worry my kids "all better"!! and with 5 kids, Dang I'm a pro!!, as I know you to be!!
    I make a wager you have GOT to have a better month next month!! so until I get to hug you in person in August..here you go..=hug a few extra to tide you over!!..Joanne

3. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Having gone through this surgery with my sister a few times, he absolutely HAS to follow dr.s orders regarding rest, and then rehab, in order to mend as best as he can. Not so little prayers coming his way tonight and for the next few weeks he listens to you and dad and the doc!

4. debowah

debowah Guest

Prayers and postive thoughts for you, your son and the surgeon. :angel

5. Karry

Karry Guest

Patty, I have been MEANING to PM you about DS as I was wondering when he had scheduled the procedure. GloBug gave you the best advice (which I gave you a few months ago :) ) He HAS to be very religious about following doc's orders post-op. It will require some rehab and I truly imagine a LOT of patience from him! Just be strict and tell him to do exactly what he is told. HE will be fine~YOU I am worried about! I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Don't worry, Mom!! (I just had to say it! :dizzy) Keep us updated and you have my sincere sympathies keeping your good man down! =hug =hug

6. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Having had arthroscopic surgery and two knee replacements, let me also stress the importance of following doctor's orders and following a strict rehab regimen.

Your son and the whole family are in my prayers, Patty. Please let us know the outcome when you have time to post.

=hug

Mary An

7. seamom

seamom Guest

My old rickety knees send the very best of wishes........they keep saying I will need at least one of my knees done in the near future.....and I'm very bad at regimens...so tell him to do the exercises for me too ..his knees have to last a lot longer than mine :) All the very best and a big hug from one worrying mom to another.

8. JANPEP

JANPEP Guest

Prayers & good thoughts are on the way for your son from MN.
    And a few extra for his mama.

9. Jill B

Jill B Guest

Sending positive thoughts and prayers from down here. Please keep us posted.

10. reggae

reggae Guest

Well, we are home from the hospital after a long day. DS is resting with that "knee-bending" machine, seems to be working okay. The doctor said there was a lot of damage, he showed us photos taken during the surgery. I'm still not understanding it all, but I remember him saying there were holes through the cartilage. Also meniscus and ACL damage. He is on some strong pain pills now.

I do know that he has a lot of weeks of recovery, and all of you are correct in saying that he has to follow Doctor's orders, therapy, etc. For the next six weeks, he cannot put any weight at all on that leg. So crutches in the snow, should be fun....

He's not leaving this apartment for two weeks! I am here until Sunday, then his roommate promised me he will not let him out!

We are having some very frigid cold weather with snow, very close to Lake Michigan, so he surely doesn't need to be out in that right now....

So thanks again for all the good wishes, we really appreciate it! (There are so many others here with far greater ills)

11. Karry

Karry Guest

Patty, this is the lst time I have been on the computer all day, but thought of you both and so glad it is over with. Thanks for the update and prayers for a speedy recovery! :thumb

12. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Patty - thank you for the update, and prayers for a successful and uneventful recovery continue. I know that machine quite well - just be careful that it doesn't dance across the bed and misalign the knee. I didn't say anything earlier, but with all the damage to his knee, I had a feeling he would not be allowed to put weight on that leg for a period of time. I hope he follows instructions.

=hug

13. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

So glad the procedure went well. Follow the doctors orders to the "T". Will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!

14. JacquieP

JacquieP Guest

Prayers are on the way!!!!

15. Corky

Corky Guest

reggae - I hope all is well with your son this evening and that he is not is too much pain. Tell him to hang in there, and you try to do the same. :)

16. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

reggae, I am sorry to have not responded earlier. How is your son's recovery going?

17. reggae

reggae Guest

Thanks for all the good wishes and concerns for DS.

He went to the doctor on Friday, and they said everything is coming along okay. They sutures won't be coming out until Wednesday, though. He was quite concerned that his lower leg had turned black & blue, but the doctor said that was okay and normal after surgery.

The doctor did tell him that he had a "micro fracture" in his femur and that complicated things with the surgery. But it was real important that he didn't place any weight on that leg for six weeks. He seems to be following that order, but I worry because he's going back to work tomorrow. He has someone picking him up and driving him, but I know he puts in long hours and I hope he keeps that leg up and push himself. (I can only keep reminding him...)

So far, everything is going as planned. In six weeks, the therapy starts, and in the meantime he plans to swim every day starting next week. (apparently the doctor said that was okay =huh)

Thanks again for good thoughts for my son.

18. Whimsy

Whimsy Guest

I did not see this until just now. Wishing him a speedy recovery.