Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Cozumel Jeep Rental

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by salesmom, Dec 2, 2004.

1. salesmom

salesmom Guest

I am looking for information on Jeep rentals in Cozumel. There will be 2 couples and we want to explore the isalnd ourselves...have been to Cozumel several times. Has anyone done this and what were the pros and cons?

We will be on the Explorer from Jan 16-23rd. Can hardly wait!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Natalia

Natalia Guest

We have done it before, and it was great fun.... doing it again in 2 weeks. I have rented from Less Pay in the past and were pleased, but there are several companies. Dont hesitate to use a local company, the "chains" are locally owned and managed, so they are not necessarily like what you would find here in the states. Here are a couple links:

info:
    http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/rentals.html

rentals:
    http://www.cozumelinsider.com/carrentals/avis.html
    http://www.cozumelcars.com/rates.html
    http://www.islacozumel.net/services/lesspay/
    http://gocozumel.com/marlin/

I wanted to try Marlin this time, but they were slow in answering my emails, so I put my business with Less Pay again. I have read good things about Marlin though, just to be fair. Email or private message me if you would like more details.

3. lil poohbear

lil poohbear Guest

Hi Nat,

I was reading your reply about the jeep rental in Cozumel on Cruise Addicts and had a couple of /'s

Myself, hubby (we are in our early 40's) and my parents are looking for something not too expensive to do but have some freedom on Cozumel. I liked the idea of renting the jeep and looking around on our own and going back to the ship when my parents get tired (they are in their 70's). Do you think this would good for us to do? What does it cost to rent one...if you don't mind me asking you this?

Thank you Nat!!

lil poohbear
    (can you tell I love Disney? I cruised with them last time!)

4. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Renting a Jeep (or any vehicle, really) is a great way to see Cozumel! Since my last post, I have gone again and also rented again from Less Pay. The Jeeps were a lot of fun, we took my 78 year old Grandma and my 80 year old cousin on this cruise, and they loved spending the day our driving around the island. The thing about traveling with people of that age is that if you all go in one Jeep, 2 of you will have to climb into the back. My Gram has a bad knee, so this wasnt possible for her, but 80 year old Maddie had no problem doing this! She was hysterical, hopped right in... "Let's Go!!", she said. Anyways, you may want to consider renting 2 Jeeps (we had 5 people, so we rented 2). The cost was $44 per Jeep which included the insurance (take the insurance even if your company at home says they will cover you, trust me on this), total of $88 for both Jeeps. It was a great time!

If you want more info, email me or send me a private message. I have a good site for maps too.

5. BBrown

BBrown Guest

Nat,

Is Less Pay at the International Pier? We'll be there on the 28th and are looking forward to a day on our own exploring.

6. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Well, sort of. I had emailed them a few times to arrange my reservation and was told they had 2 locations, one at the International Pier and one at the other pier in town. I was also told that their hours were 8am-8pm. Well, the office at the International Pier was located in the Crown Royal Hotel (I think that was the name of it) which is pretty close to the pier, across the street and slightly north, large white hotel. But its somewhat of a walk up the pier and through the shopping area which you have to get through to get to the street. By the time we got up there, my dad was tired, we were carrying a lot of stuff. So we grabbed a taxi just to hop down the street less than a mile. However, it was a good thing we did because I would have been really mad had I carried all my stuff up there only to find out that this particular location doesn't actually open until 9am, not 8. So we had our taxi take us up to the Hotel Barracuda which is north, in town. I think we paid $8 for that taxi. So, if you are planning to get your cars before 8, take a taxi up into town. If after 9 is ok, then the office at the Park Royal Hotel should be fine. I cant say for sure about that location, as both times Ive rented from them, Ive gotten my Jeeps at the Hotel Barracuda location. I did see a Marlin rental office right in the shopping area of the International Pier though, up near the street. But I dont know what time they opened or anything else about them. They had a better location, if that matters to you. They were a few bucks more but it would save you the taxi fare. Only thing for me was that they did not have good email communication with me, so I went back to Less Pay as they were friendly, prompt and I had a previous good experience with them.

7. salesmom

salesmom Guest

Hello.

We actually just made reservation with Avis from CozumelInsider. It will be 460 per day plus taxes and extras. To book directly from Avis we were quoted $112.00. We will be leaving 1-16 on Explorer for one week...I will give you an update on our success with Avis and Cozumel.

8. salesmom

salesmom Guest

correction...$60.00 per day...SORRY!

9. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Not sure why you opted for that rental company... although they carry the name "Avis", they are locally owned and operated, and therefore are not what you encounter at home. They are no different than the local rental companies. I did look at Avis, but decided not to book with them because they were considerably higher in price. I believe their insurance is $25 on top of that price, and I dont have any idea what the "extras" are that you mentioned..?? I assume your price is for one Jeep. But anyways, good luck and I hope you have a great time in Cozumel. Its a fun place with lots to do.