Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Cozumel - Pharmacy Purchases

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Jeana, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Jeana

Jeana Guest

Has anyone tried getting prescriptions filled at the pharmacy located at the Cozumel dock? I was wondering how it works and if it is o.k. to bring back to the U.S.???

2. Sunshine

Sunshine Guest

We have bought prescriptions there. You don;t need a prescription to get it in Mexico. As long as you know exactly what you are buying and how to take it properly, you should be fine. I wouldn't buy anything you are not familiar with though. I have never had problems bringing the purchases back to the US or Canada.

3. Jim

Jim Guest

I have heard of folks doing same. But remember, they KNOW you are getting back on a ship, you have NO RECOURSE if they dump a bottle full of sugar pills on you!
    AND you have NO guarantee of strength, potency, purity, etc.

4. Rubysky

Rubysky Guest

we have bought in Mexico before. If they refuse to give u what u want , look around, If there is someone else int he shop they will not give u anything without a perscription. If no one else is there (to turn them in) htey will give u anything your little heart desires.

5. Ali

Ali Guest

I have purchased a lot of things from that pharmacy. If you go further into town, the drugs are cheaper than they are on the pier. You are allowed to bring back "legally" 3 months worth of one drug. Also watch for the differences in the milligrams. The one antibiotic that I take, Zithromax is a 5 pill regimen. One 250 mil pill a day. You can only purchase the medication in Mexico as a 4 pill regimen at 500 mil a day.

Oh and the pills are not dispensed at the pharmacy on the pier like our drug stores. They are all blister packed and sealed right from the manufacturer in the United States.

Post Edited (11-15-03 22:00)

6. Corky

Corky Guest

Ali...Do you remember how much the prescription was for the Z-Pac? I just had one filled here - it had 6 pills at 250 MG each...take 2 the first day and 1 for 4 days after and I paid $8.56 after my insurance. Orginally is was $58.19 according to the bill attached. Is it cheaper than the $8.56? If so, I'll pick up a bunch. I've never been in one of the pharmacy's, do you know if they have Vioxx as well?

Thnx!

7. red stripe

red stripe Guest

I know there is a place called "The American Pharmacy" and that you can print coupons off the internet to save even more.. but I do not know if this is the one near the pier or further back in town.
    Ali, do you know the names of the places you go to??

8. BostonsJ

BostonsJ Guest

When Mike and I returned from our Rhapsody cruise they did ask at customs if we had in our pocession any prescription drugs obtained while out of the country. So just be prepared to answer that question.

I know we paid 12.00 for Keflex but that was the pier drug store not in town.

9. This is one subject I know a lot about... I have been selling Timeshare in Mexico for about 12 years and travel there about twice a month....no script needed, just know what you need, no more than three months supply at a time, no need to worry about getting wrong meds, they are all in blister packs from manufacturer. you cannot get a controlled substance such as vicodine and some diet pills (phentermine), but its always good to have some antibiotics around just in case. One last thought, don't get too much if you don't use it that much they really are no good after a year or so, they lose their potency. Michelle

10. As above, no Rx needed but they don't have everything. I tried four different places to get Fioricet, which I take for headaches. Always buy a package of Lomotil, for lower GI difficulties and I did find Robaxin too. Some of this stuff is no bargain, by the way.

11. JEM

JEM Guest

Hi: About half way into town there is a large food store on the right with a phamacy inside, good prices, good exchange rate, and the Pharmacist speaks excellent English. Jim

12. Jeana

Jeana Guest

This is such great information. Thank you, all. I am privately insured and my RX cost keeps going up. Benefits keep going down. I'm sure you can all relate! Just wondering how this worked. Thank you, again.

13. Mcgator

Mcgator Guest

Does anyone know if you can get Imitrex in Cozumel at the pharmacy's? If so, any recommendations?