• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cruising from Galveston on RCCL

I think I have taken my last cruise out of Galveston. I am a native Texan, but the bubba/hillbilly factor has gone from bad to intolerable. Fellow Texans, if you plan to cruise out of Galveston, here's a hint. Don't wear shorts to the dining room for dinner....even if they are "nice" shorts. Wear a shirt (and shoes!) when walking around anywhere on the public areas of the ship other than the pool deck or spa/workout area. Cover your face when you cough or sneeze. I just returned from a cruise yesterday, and while the ship and service were fantastic, the behavior of the guests was the worst I have ever seen. I've never seen anything like that when cruising from other ports. Galveston may be convenient, but it is simply not worth it. A cruise should be something special, not a casting call for Honey Boo Boo.

George C

There was very little of the Bubba factor on my cruise at end of April on Naviagtor but previous April there was a large bubba factor, wish RCCL would enforce there dress codes a little more. I have taken several cruises out of Texas and normally there were a nice group of fellow passengers. I am afraid you may see some of what you are complaining about on almost any cruise.

BruinSteve

I've cruised out of Galveston...
And one thing it is NOT is "convenient"...
It is actually ONLY convenient for Texans...who can drive to port...
For everyone else, it is a major hassle...
Bush Airport is 70 miles away...
Hobby is a little closer--and it narrows your choices...
Transportation options from either airport are VERY limited...and VERY expensive...
We ended up having to take a Limo from Hobby to Galveston and back at a cost of nearly $300 (four of us)...and the limo company tried to hold us up for more money (We had pre-paid our gratuities--and it showed on our confirmation, but, the limo driver made a scene when we got to our hotel--Hilton--claiming we owed him a gratuity...a very unpleasant scene)...Compare this to cruising out of Los Angeles where you can get a shuttle from LAX to the port for $17 per person or to Fort Lauderdale where many hotels even supply free airport and port shuttles or you take a taxi for just a few dollars...

And then, at the end of the cruise, the line for customs/check-out is, by far, the worst I've ever experienced...We spent well over an hour in line, inching slowly along...

And, yes, the cruise was maybe 90% Texans with the rest being mostly from Oklahoma...Definitely a different vibe...
I have no problem with Texans overall...I've cruised with many wonderful people from Texas...
But, I think you are correct...because Texans can do these cruises "on the cheap" with no airfare or pre-cruise hotel, it attracts those locals just wanting a cheap "party cruise"...and that is a different crowd from a typical cruise. Not much different than doing a three-night Carnival cruise out of Long Beach, CA--something we refuse to ever do again as well.