Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Cruising W. Caribbean w/Toddler

Discussion in 'Caribbean Ports' started by JacobsMommy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. JacobsMommy

JacobsMommy Active Member

Hi there! This is my first post to this site. I thank you in advance for any and all help!

My family (myself, DH, and will-be 18 m.o. DS) will be cruising on the Conquest this April. Our ports will be Cozumel, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman. I am worried about finding excursions appropriate for our little family.

We are planning on doing Sting Ray City in GC. We are considering X-Caret in Cozumel, and we are dumbfounded about Montego Bay.

I know that it is a bit of a trip to get to X-Caret from Cozumel. We would definately do this through Carnival to gaurantee making it before departure. For those of you who have done this: is this a reasonable day trip for DS?

As far as SRCity, we are prepared to take turns in the water if DS is scared of the rays.

My real concern is Jamaica. I have heard some conficting reports on violence in MoBay. I was thinking about just taking a taxi to Doctor's Cave and spending the day. Do you think this will be safe...or should we enjoy a day on the ship instead? I hate to miss out on a port, but will do that if it is in the best interest of our family.

It will just be the three of us. None of us have cruised before. We have traveled around the states before, so DS is used to that...but we know this will be different.

Thanks for any and all perspective you can give me! I have learned so much from this site already! :smile:

2. MisterD21

MisterD21 If you take me serious, it's your problem

hello and welcome to cruise@'s, enjoy your time here...

I don't t hink you'll have much trouble finding things to do with the whole family.

In Coz, Xcaret is pretty good, you might want to consider Chankanaab park as well. If all else fails, you can go into San Miguel and go shopping.

As for SRC in Grand Cayman, you should be fine... the rays are really tame and actually swim up against you like how cats always seem to find their way between your legs rubbing against you. the Rays don't "bite" as much as gum you with their mouths. The little guy should have a blast in the water petting the rays.. As long as you guys are there giving him positive reinforcement he'll be fine i'm sure.

As for Jamaica, well as with many of the islands, crime is definitely rising. You would be best to stay in well policed tourist areas. Travelling witha group can also deter would be thieves as well. WHile on your cruise it might be a good idea to talk to your table mates at dinner and find others who are interested in doing some excursions in jamaica as well .. safety in numbers you know..

I hope this is helpful to you , and may you have a great cruise.

3. JacobsMommy

Thanks for your quick response. I was waiting a few days to see if anyone else had any recommendations in regards to cruising with a toddler. I am happy to see that you think Sting Ray City would be okay. I am guessing that the commute to X-Caret won't be too difficult either. I am still a little weary about Jamaica. I thought I should have all of the excursions planned before we sail, for fear of things being sold out?

Thanks again!

If anyone else has ANY advice, I am more than willing to listen!!!

:bigsmile:

4. MisterD21

MisterD21 If you take me serious, it's your problem

Not to worry, even if the cruiseline's excursions sell out there are plenty of reputable excursion operators available in most ports. If you use a site like tripadvisor.com, or igougo.com, concierge.com, etc. you can find reputable(and often cheaper), tour operators for each port of call. Read the posted reviews, and make educated decisions on what company is reputable, and which aren't .

As for Jamaica, like i have said... travel in groups, or stay in the tourist areas. Without a doubt, many island countries are already impoverished to begin with, and this rough economy greatly magnifies it's effect on these micro-economic areas. If you must travel alone, or have a specific destination, take the time to secure any valuables out of sight, carry the smallest amount of cash/credit cards(possibly even get a prepaid credit card so you minimize any losses, and your identity remains secure).

5. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

We did exactly what you mentioned going to Doc's cave. It's a bit of misnomer but a grreat beach and facility. We took a taxi off the dock and they guy came and got us right when we wanted to return. No problem man......

6. JacobsMommy

Great Idea--about the prepaid credit card. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that these places will accept ccards. lol....it seems I have a lot to learn!

Bob--I take it as you think this idea is safe to consider???