• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

cruising with a kid - which cruise?

memo

I’ve been thinking about an Alaskan cruise for some time now. I’m having trouble with which cruise line would be the best fit. I would be traveling with my daughter who would be about 8 at the time.

My daughter has been on 1 cruise before and she is NOT a fan of spending her time away from me in a kids club. She is at school or daycare all week long. So on vacations we really like to do things together. So I’m wondering if anyone has experience with an Alaska cruise with kids around her age. What did you like or not like, what cruise do you suggest.

THANKS!!!

Maura

BSeabob

Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change
Staff member
I have had no personal experience with my kids on a ship at that age. Later yes :)

I think that you would be comfortable on pretty well any mainline cruise lline that goes. Some obviously have better kids progrrams but that is not the issue.

Personal favorites in no real order where I have seen families dealt with favorably in Alaska . Hal, Celebrity and RCL.

Yukon

I suggest that what you want is a ship that has a "fun" atmosphere. My favorite ship in that regard is the Radiance of the Seas, but Carnival and Princess also do a good job of it. THe water slides and rock-climbing wall in particular are wonderful things to have fun on with your daughter. All cruise lines in Alaska are family-friendly but HAL and Celebrity ships don't have a fun feel to them (sorry, Bob :) ).

BSeabob

Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change
Staff member
I suggest that what you want is a ship that has a "fun" atmosphere. My favorite ship in that regard is the Radiance of the Seas, but Carnival and Princess also do a good job of it. THe water slides and rock-climbing wall in particular are wonderful things to have fun on with your daughter. All cruise lines in Alaska are family-friendly but HAL and Celebrity ships don't have a fun feel to them (sorry, Bob :) ).
No Apology required Murray... We are here for the info. On second thought I'll agree with you on RCL and that ship and put it first. I've never been on it but from what I have read and heard you are correct.

and I've cruised to Alaska about 5 times mostly on Celebrity and the kids on board always seemed happy as was I. Same for HAL. (regardless of how people seem to feel about HAL being for the older crowd. In the summer months both those lines carry lots of kids.

and I have no experience on Princess.

memo

thanks for the advice. i will check them out. i know Disney is going and i thought about doing that because there would obviously be a lot of kid things. I'm just not sure that the itinerary is what i want for first time in Alaska.

maura

Calgon1

Awaiting results of mental evaluation
Quack !

If your DD is not going to be participating in the on-board youth program, I recommend (in order) 1) Royal Caribbean, 2) Princess and 3) Carnival ...

memo

If your DD is not going to be participating in the on-board youth program, I recommend (in order) 1) Royal Caribbean, 2) Princess and 3) Carnival ...
thanks!! i'll check them out in that order. i'm betting that she won't go. if she does it won't be for long. when we are on vacation she really likes to just spend time with me.