Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Diamond Princess is more like Cubic Zirconium Princess

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by emd2611, Oct 8, 2006.

1. emd2611

emd2611 Guest

Just got back today from a voyage aboard the Diamond Princess from Los Angeles to the Mexican Riveria. I must say that I can't see us traveling aboard a Princess ship again. We had a good time, but there are better cruise companies.

Last year at this same time we traveled aboard the Saphire Princess on the same itinerary. The Diamond Princess is the sister ship and we would have thought the experience would be the same. It was not. Sadly the experience was crappy.

Embarkation:
    Getting on the ship was an adventure. Check in resulted in waiting in huge lines. They did not start boarding until after 1pm and as a result the waiting area at San Pedro cannot handle the volume of passengers carried by todays large ships. The port employees were really rude and treated passengers like cattle. They kept yelling at people to stand back away from the entrance to the security area. The problem was there was nowhere for people to go as the room wasn't big enough and there was not enough seats to go around.

Crowd levels:
    This cruise was oversold and we learned from other passengers that they were making deals to passengers to change travels dates in the weeks leading up to the cruise. It was a complete sellout. The theater was not big enough to hold everyone. I have been on ships that were smaller than the Diamond and had a showroom that was bigger. The show lounge was just too small for the crowd and if you did not arrive an hour before show time you could forget being able to get a seat.

The pools were packed. On one of the days the pool guy did not do his job for the indoor convertible outdoor pool as it turned green and had to be closed. One of the pools on the stern was drained later in the cruise for some unknown reason.

Food Service:
    We got stuck with anytime dining. While we originally looked forward to having a variable dinner hour this turned out lousy as service was bad. We often found ourselves or other table mates getting up to hale a waiter so we could get service. Once your food was delivered forget getting anything else until dessert.

One incident stands out. On day two at 8:45am we arrived at the International dining room for breakfast. After being seated the waiter scolds us for coming at the peak time and tells our table that if we want hot entries like eggs or oatmeal that we would need to wait at least 30 minutes because the kitchen is busy. Our food arrived at 9:25 and then 5 minutes later the waiter tells us the dining room is now closed and if we need more coffee the pot is on the station next to the table.

We were disappointed with the food quality this trip. We enjoyed the same exact menu the prior year, but the food quality was poorer this year. It appeared that Princess has cheapened out and is using lower grade food. For example the breakfast sausage quality was definitely reduced as was other beef products. The coffee was not as rich as the prior year. The New York steak they serve as always available was not very good and a step below what you get at Denny's. Last year they always had a hot dessert in the buffet. That was cut this year. Generally speaking the desserts were rather poor quality. My chocolate moose on the last night tasted more like piped Betty Crocker icing. My wife had some tapioca pudding that was more like a glob of white slime. Whatever happened to baking cakes onboard? It was obvious they used frozen cakes, but they could at least get some that had some flavor.

Entertainment
    As it turned out the production shows were the same as last year. We were excited to see Piano Man again as we loved it the prior year. However, another disappointment. The vocal performers were lousy. While the females vocalists were not too bad, the males were horrible. We did not even bother seeing the Undercover show.

Brendan the piano bar guy was great and we spent a lot of time listening to him. This guy is really good. The comedians were funny and had some good original material. It was nice that none of them told stupid cruise toilet jokes. We also saw an Australian vocalists who was fantastic as was an illusionist that performed.

State Room
    Our room porter was fantastic. It was as if the guy was always waiting for to leave our room and then got right on it to clean it up.

Passengers
    The lousy service kind of put a damper on dinners as we found ourselves sitting through meals listening to our table mates complain about the experience. On two occasions I motioned my wife to zip it as I got tired of hearing the complaints. I kept telling her lets just wait until I get back to complain as I don't want the discussion of the service to ruin our trip. Even though the service was crappy we still had a good time.

My big beef is it felt as though the dining staff had the attitude that they had the perfect job if it wasn't for these pesky passengers. On the last night I deducted three days of automatic tips from my bill. Then I put $20 into an envelope and gave it to our cabin steward. He deserved it.

I would travel with Princess if it was the only cruise line on earth. But they aren't, and there are several others to choose from. Maybe next time we will give one of the other lines a try not owned by Carnival.

2. Beryl

Beryl Guest

I'm sorry to hear your experience aboard the Diamond Princess was not what you had hoped for! I have to say that I have cruised her twice and she is one of my favourite ships. I hope that your next cruise experience will exceed your expectations.

3. Snowblower

Snowblower Guest

Beryl,
    I am with you about the Diamond Princess. I just sailed this ship for the third time three weeks ago and can’t say one thing bad about the ship, cruise or service. There were a few passengers that needed to be tossed over the side but that’s not any fault of Princess.

I find this post very strange. This is the first post by this person on this board. You check their profile and you will see they registered just prior to making the post. It is now four days later and this person hasn’t made a second post. There is a place on this board to post cruise reviews but this poster has come to the main Princess board instead to throw rocks. There is little value in this post and not much can be gained from it. I am not nearly as cordial as you and won’t offer this poster any sympathy. I hope this poster finds a new cruise company that meets their expectations but with their attitude it might be impossible to find.

4. nimiq

nimiq Guest

Hello all,

I really dont like it also when someone puts a post to destroy a company. All repeat cruisers know for a fact that every cruise even sometimes on the same ship might have a diffrent feeling.

It could all depend on weather,fellow passangers,crew,ship mainteance ect, so thats why it`s always good to stay a little bit more objetive in our comments.

I usually read the above and thank myself not to have such a miserable cruiser with me :)

sea ya

Eric
    PS : I have cruise on the Diamond might not be my favorite ship of Princess but its nothing like mentoined above.

5. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

That's really good to hear Beryl and Snowblower! I totally trust your judgement.

I wonder how often this person has cruised? It seems that he hasn't very much.

He calls the stateroom steward a "porter" and he says the aft pool was drained for some 'unknown reason'. That happens at least once a week on all the ships I've been on, regardless of the cruise line. Does he think they need to post a sign stating what the pool crew are doing and why? It's called maintenance.

The production shows were the same as last year? I find that hard to believe.

It sounds like he was a late sleeper if the cabin steward was always waiting to get into their cabin and the dining room closed down for breakfast while they were eating. Perhaps this poster just isn't used to the way things run on a ship?

Maybe with a little more cruise experience, he'll find the cruise line that fits him better. I certainly hope he gives it another chance. :)

6. CruiseAholic

CruiseAholic Guest

Well I was on the same cruise that Snowblower was and had a fantastic time, my seat in Skywalkers was reserved every night! (won't even talk about how much the tab was for the night).

Our service except for one evening was outstanding, steward most accomodating.

Only complaint ! - I was the 4th most travelled and not one of the top 3! LOL

7. AngelFan

AngelFan Guest

Personally, I found this review quite useful, and I don’t think we should discourage people from posting negative reviews. I was trying to decide whether to cruise the Diamond Princess or the Celebrity Summit over Christmas next year, and chose Celebrity. I found numerous positive and negative reviews on both ships, and had to weight the pros and cons of each, but I appreciate people taking the time to give their opinion.

8. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

I appreciate hearing negative reviews when they're presented in the right way; when they are fair and balanced. This one wasn't. =dunno =huh

9. AngelFan

AngelFan Guest

I completely agree that reviews should be fair. I have read many reviews where the person is just out to bash the cruise line. But I just don’t think this one is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. There are quite a few positive things mentioned, so personally I find it somewhat credible. But that being said, I find it much more impressive that so many come to the defense of the Diamond Princess!! That speaks very loudly.

10. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

[quote emd2611]
    My chocolate moose on the last night tasted more like piped Betty Crocker icing. .[/quote]

I happen to adore Betty Crocker piped icing. :lol :thumb :lol

11. Beryl

Beryl Guest

Well, I prefer my moose on the hoof....Moose Milk is great too! =lolgang

12. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

:lol :lol :lol

13. Einstein

Einstein Guest

Everyone is entititled to their opinions as long as it is NOT a biased personal attack. As this is emd2611's one and only post the eyebrows must be raised in query mode. We can only hope that emd gets another chance to experience what a GOOD Princess cruise is like. :thumb

14. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Amen! :thumb Hopefully, he or she is on another cruise right now and is finding a cruise line that fits him/her better. :wave

15. JimandJerry

JimandJerry Guest

I believe the cause of emd's problems stem mostly from the "anytime" dinning. If you are normally a fixed seating diner, having a different wait staff every night can be unsettling. Jerry and I have tried "Anytime" twice and were somewhat disappointed in wait staff service each time. They don't have the opportunity to get to know you and as such the service won't be as personal. Embarkation problems can happen to any cruise, especially with a full ship (we had a similar problem on the Carnival Destiny a few years ago).

EMD, try again!!

16. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

I agree. We've had Anytime Dining a couple of times and have been disappointed with it also. The service just lacks so much compared to traditional dining. Whenever we have traditional with Princess, we've been very, very satisfied with the service.

17. NiteStar

NiteStar Guest

With so many attacks against this first time poster, I wouldn't blame them if they never posted on this site again! I too didn't find this post bad. He gave some positive things mixed in with what he didn't like. If my very first cruise had been really bad, I might be inclined also not to want to cruise with that line again. I personally love the Princess line, but have only cruised on the Grand Princess (twice), and the Sun Princess (once) so I can't speak for any other ship in that line. Every cruiseline is going to have an "off" cruise now and then, so I try to take that into account when I read a bad review of a ship. But I think people should be able to post how they felt about a cruise.....whether it be good OR bad. Again, yes it was this person's first post, but after they read some of the responses attacking them for making the post, I don't blame them for not posting again.

18. JimandJerry

JimandJerry Guest

Geez folks, calm down. There were 16 responses to emd's post and I only see 3, maybe 4 that were critical of the poster!! The more posts and responses the better. I really enjoy reading so many different opinions. I learned a long time ago that there can be vastly different opinions on the very same cruise. I hope emd will continue to share with us his/hers cruising experiences both good and bad.

Jim

19. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

[quote NiteStar]With so many attacks against this first time poster, I wouldn't blame them if they never posted on this site again! I too didn't find this post bad. He gave some positive things mixed in with what he didn't like. If my very first cruise had been really bad, I might be inclined also not to want to cruise with that line again. I personally love the Princess line, but have only cruised on the Grand Princess (twice), and the Sun Princess (once) so I can't speak for any other ship in that line. Every cruiseline is going to have an "off" cruise now and then, so I try to take that into account when I read a bad review of a ship. But I think people should be able to post how they felt about a cruise.....whether it be good OR bad. Again, yes it was this person's first post, but after they read some of the responses attacking them for making the post, I don't blame them for not posting again.[/quote]

No attacks just opinions!!!

20. NiteStar

NiteStar Guest

I see your point Colo Cruiser. ;)