Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

dinner dress changes

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by asmitty, Dec 1, 2004.

1. asmitty

asmitty Guest

I received my docs a couple of weeks ago for our 12/18 sailing on the Zuiderdam and I noticed that it said 1 informal night and 4 casual nights. Has anyone else had a change from the ordinary like this one on any of your sailings? My husband is thrilled but I bought new dresses for myself and for my daughter in anticipation of a formal night. I'm also wondering if there will be a captain's dinner and reception now that there is no formal night. We're just kinda bummed because we were going to have a huge family picture of everyone all dressed up.

Anyone else sailing on Zuiderdam 12/18?

2. bookworm

bookworm Guest

Asmitty, We looked at these shorter Zuiderdam cruises- your 5 night cruise in Dec. to accomodate holiday scheduling and the 4 night cruises in Jan. and Feb. to allow the ship to be used as a hotel at the Super Bowl.

We decided to book a longer one instead. It looks like 'formal night' may be one of the casualties of the lesser number of nights. I think these shorter Bahama cruises on other lines are always a little more casual to begin with and it looks like HAL thought pax might not want to lug formalwear onto the ship for a short cruise.

Take special clothes anyway for the informal night (maybe not a long formal gown, but something quite dressy) and have that picture taken! I bet your informal night will be on the at sea day and you and your family can have a great picture taken! I'm sure others will also get much more dressed up than on a casual night.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Capt. had his reception anyway to meet and greet the pax. A Capt.'s 'dinner' is just for a very few pax if he has one at all, so I wouldn't worry about that. Most people could care less about that or even notice whether it is held or not. Have a great cruise with your family.

3. asmitty

asmitty Guest

Oops. I guess I didn't mention that it is only a 5 day cruise. True, lugging formal wear can be somewhat of a pain, but there is just something special about getting dressed up when you don't normally have the occasion to do so. My stepdad is disappointed too because he bought a tux a couple of cruises ago and likes to spiff up.

Bookworm, I think you're right about dressing up a little anyway. The whole idea of this cruise is for my family to have a great time together, so we'll just what makes us happy!

4. Mal D. Olive

Mal D. Olive Guest

asmitty,

I had no problem figuring you were on a 5 day cruise based on your original post! You clearly stated in your post that the docs indicated "1 informal night and 4 casual nights" which last time I checked adds up to 5!

5. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Asmitty - Couldn't you and your family just dress up anyway? Or would you feel too out-of-place? If so, you'll just have to book another cruise to use that new tux & those great dresses! :thumb

6. sail7seas Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Some of us are mind readers. Sadly I am not.
    > I am so very sorry I tried to assist.

Sail,
    Please don't stop trying to help out with your wonderful wealth of knowledge about HAL! I don't post often, but always enjoy reading the information you have to share.
    Joyce

7. bookworm

bookworm Guest

Since Asmitty gave the 12/18 date of embarkation I took the very few seconds it takes to look up the itinerary on the HAL site before replying . Since obviously a 7 day cruise would be disembarking on 12/25, I figured the scheduling had to have been shifted around, as cruiselines avoid ending/beginning a cruise on the holiday itself . Of course that is exactly why it is a 5 day cruise.

8. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Ouch !!!!!!!! Hurt myself ROFLMAO......... I love the HAL boards. They always provide somekind of info along with the entertainment factor.

9. Actually, I was going to comment on this earlier but shut down the window before posting so I wouldn't get myself in trouble.

I think in general everybody on the C@ site is very kind and tries to be helpful. I rarely visit that OTHER cruise boards site anymore because I find people so rude it's just plain disturbing. After all, aren't we all here because we need info or think we can be of help to somebody else?
    The downside is that this board isn't quite as active, but maybe that's the reason- the bigger the kettle of fish, the more likely one or more is to be stinky...

10. John

John Guest

Hi Everyone, We're glad your here. Posts and/or entire threads that are not conducive to a postive and constructive conversation are removed. Our forums have grown allot these past few years and we have also added new areas that are growing as people find these new boards.

We do take our Terms Of Service very serious as it helps maintain a positive environment and conversations. Please read them here if you have not done so - http://www.cruise-addicts.com/forumguide.html

11. Einstein

Einstein Guest

Mal U have earned E's academic award for the day which entitles U to 1 + 4 olives. :grin The NOT so difficult question is what would U like with them thar olives??? :cheers

12. BSeabob

BSeabob Guest

cheers !

13. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I think Mals answer would be 1+4 Martinis.........................

14. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

VODKA Martinis, John..... made with Ketel One, to be more specific. :)

15. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Yes Ship,
    I seem to remember a night in Atlantic City where the "Olive Man" nailed a few of those. A fire alarm didn't move us from our very comfortable seats in the Blue Martini Bar................................

16. Mal D. Olive

Mal D. Olive Guest

Ahhhh yes the Blue Martini Bar!!! =gulp
    I remember it well.....well ummmmm.....remember what??? =screwy
    What were we talking about anyhow??? :dizzy
    Ummmm.....ouch....way to confused! :dizzy :dizzy :dizzy

Only one thing to do......Yo bartender......."I'll have another" :cheers

17. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Mal - how many cases of Ketel One do you want in January? :dizzy

18. Judi

Judi Guest

Sis,

He's quite happy with Absolut! :grin :grin

19. NCcruisn'

NCcruisn' Guest

Hi Amy, My husband and I will be sailing on The Z with you on the 18th. Since this thread kind of got off the track you started (and has NOT been edited) I have also contacted you via your private messages.

See Ya on The Z !!

20. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I believe it HAS been edited. Think there were a few posts that disappeared.