Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Dinning wear ??

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by richnsht, May 10, 2005.

1. richnsht

richnsht Guest

My wife and I are sailling on the Carribean in July. This is our second cruise, the first being on the RCCL Voyager of the Seas, we LOVED it. I had a dinning question. On RCCL I dressed VERY casual for dinner each night. I do dress fashionable, NOT SLOPPY. I wear fashionable shorts, a button down shirt, and fashionable sandals. Will my attire pose any problems for me at dinner on the Carribean? Any comments ( no bashing please) would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Beryl

Beryl Guest

Princess does not permit shorts in the dining room at dinner. You will see a lot of men in docker type trousers at dinner time. Enjoy your Princess cruise!

3. richnsht

richnsht Guest

Thanks for your reply. Would they actually deny me entry?? Or is this just a "rule" that can be overlooked? Thanks again!

4. Beryl

Beryl Guest

We've never pushed the rule so I don't know from personal experience but I have heard that those folks who show up dressed "inappropriately" have been directed to the Horizon Court. I think that people who appear in the "dreaded jeans" are more likely to be allowed into the dining room than those dressed in shorts....even very fashionable shorts. :)

5. DJA

DJA Guest

Whether or not they actually ask you to leave the dining room may not be 100% consistent on Princess, depending on the Maitre d’, but you would likely be the only person in the dining room wearing shorts because they are very clear on the policy. No problem at breakfast or lunch though.

6. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Guest

Agreed on the dress code, and unfortunate that sloppy
    jeans would be permitted before dress shorts.

There's a sign outside the dining rooms that states
    their NO SHORTS policy.

It does stink, I agree! I hated having to get out of shorts
    every night and into slacks just to go to the dining room.

7. eagletwo

eagletwo Guest

I am only 46 years old and by no means want to appear "stuffy", but what is wrong with wearing a nice pair of slacks and a polo shirt to dinner instead of shorts and a tee shirt?

8. richnsht

richnsht Guest

I'm 42, and I am much more comfortable in fashionable shorts, it's just my preference. Not there is anything wrong with slacks and a Polo at all. Based on this thread I will bring dockers type pants and wear them to dinner. It's just my personal preference to wear shorts on a Caribbean vacation, even to dinner. I wasn't even planning on brining pants, as we do not prefer to dress on formal night. I DID dress in a suit on my honeymoon cruise on RCCL in 2002, my point being is I'm not being rebelious, it's all about comfort and preference. I'm spending $5,000+ on a vacation, I would like to be able to adhere to my preferences, that's all. Isn't it all about relaxation, comfort, and fun?

9. richnsht

richnsht Guest

Eagletwo - I also failed to mention, that by no means I would EVER wear a "t-shirt" and shorts to dinner. If you see my original posting, I wear fashionable shorts and a button down short sleeve shirt. I would assure you that I would dress better in my "Island casual" outfit than people at dinner with sloppy jeans.

10. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Guest

I understand your frustration.

I hate having to go on vacation and bring "dress" clothes.

Unfortunately, the fact of life is that if you eat in an
    upscale dining room/restaurant there is going to be a
    dictated dress code.

For instance, I'm staying at an all-inclusive resort in
    Punta Cana next week. It's all about pool, beach and
    drinking. However, if I want to avoid the buffet and snack
    bars and eat in their fancier restaurant I am required to
    wear slacks and closed toe shoes.

11. Miss Honey

Miss Honey Guest

Just returned home from the Caribbean Princess. I seen very casual dress in the dining rooms, but I never seen shorts of any type. After dinner, around the ship I seen very casual dress though, anything from sporty sweats to jeans. The dress on this ship was probaly the most casual I have ever seen. Even on the formal nights many women wore nice dresses nothing fancy, most men in suits. There were lots of young couples sailing last week. Everyone was having fun and enjoying the ship. Miss Honey

12. Karry

Karry Guest

We were on the Island Princess in March. My DH showed up at the dining room in a very nice button down shirt with a very nice ironed pair of long shorts and he was told he would have to change into pants in order to enter the dining room. I think the "no shorts" policy at dinner is written in the "rules and regulations" booklet.

13. LUVMYBIRD

LUVMYBIRD Guest

I HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL CRUISES, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON RELAXATION AND COMFORT.
    I ALSO FEEL THAT YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO WEAR WHAT YOU WANT. I HAVE NEVER SAILED ON PRINCESS BEFORE. MY FIRST PRINCESS CRUISE WILL BE THIS SATURDAY. AS FOR ROYAL CARRIBEAN, THEY DO HAVE A WINDJAMMER THAT YOU CAN EAT IN AT ANY TIME AND FEEL COMFORTABLE. YOU CAN WEAR WHATEVER YOU WANT. FOOD IS EXCELLENT AND SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING TOO. ENJOY.

14. carolsue

carolsue Guest

One reason I have never been on a cruise is because I didn't want to really dress up either. So I was happy about the Anytime Dining on Princess, and I have been reading the thread and see that I don't have to "really" dress up like I thought I would -- I can get by with a pair of silk slacks and a glitzy top even on formal night - or I can go to the Horizon Court or Pizza Place and not have to worry about what I'm wearing. Kind of the best of both worlds.

I have one comment about the shorts. As fashionable as your shorts are, they are still shorts. I have a very fashionable, espensive pair of designer Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that I wear with a silk blouse, but if they let me in with that outfit, the next person coming on with Levis torn in the knees and a logo T-shirt would argue that they just saw someone be admitted wearing jeans. Same thing with shorts. It's just easier to ban ALL shorts and jeans and be done with it.

15. Suzieb

Suzieb Guest

Just off the Sun Princes and everyone seemed to have no problems with the dress code. Those that did not want to wear what was required dined at the Horizon Court. But I wore dockers all nights (except formal nights) with a Hawaiian type shirt and sandels. No problems getting in. DW wore Carpis several times (of course ladies are allowed) and she had several slacks also to wear.
    I really enjoyed on the Sun much better than on Carnival's Paradise due to the dress code and everyone following it

Enjoy

16. cruisechick7

cruisechick7 Guest

the princess cruise answer book does say no shorts allowed in the main dining rooms. i'm bringing a pair of dressy shorts to my dec. cruise but i know i'm not allowed to wear it during dinner unless i go to horizon court (24-hour buffet). i haven't seen any women wear shorts of any kind during our july cruise but i did see one guy wear jeans one time and i hate to say it but he stuck out like a sore thumb.

17. TeePee

TeePee Guest

I worked for Princess and I have to say, shorts for dinner in the dining room is more of a Carnival cruise experience. As the majority of Princess passengers are older they tend to be classy and enjoy dressing for the occasion, which is a Princess experience! :)

18. sailboat

sailboat Guest

I think the reason that "dress codes" exist is not to make people do things they don't want to do, but to give people an idea of what most everyone else will be wearing so that they can feel comfortable in their clothing choices. And I know that most people want to fit in, because the topic of what to wear or what not to wear is one of the most often listed questions on these boards!

I once went to a holiday party at a neighbor's home. We made the assumption that a neighborhood holiday get together meant nice slacks and sweaters. However, most everyone at the party was really dressed up! Our hosts were gracious and no one made a big deal about the few folks who showed up in casual attire, but we felt uncomfortable even though we were more comfortably dressed than most of the guests!

Most ships offer enough alternatives so that those who don't want to dress for dinner can still have a nice dining experience. I think it's gracious to acknowledge that some occasions and some locations call for nicer attire and to dress to the "code" if we want to take part in those events.