Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

discover card cashback on carnival?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by melissamw, Jun 16, 2005.

1. melissamw

melissamw Guest

Has anyone used their Discover Card cashback bonus awards with Carnival? My family and I are taking a cruise near Christmas and I would like to use some of what I saved. My mom, however, is paying for the cruise itself and I was unsure if the bonus had to be used toward the purchase of the cruise or if it could be put toward your cabin expenses (drinks, etc.)

2. mikesteg

mikesteg Guest

I looked into this once and didn't go for it. You can double the cashback, but you then have to use their TA and (as I recall) you can only use a very limited amount of credit per cruise depending on cabin type. I may be wrong, but I think this was something like $20 or $40 on an inside (1/2 of which is your original award)... not even worth going to the trouble of getting the coupon issued.

I don't believe the doubled credit can be used for anything but a fare discount. Of course, you can always just put the cashback against the bill in the same month that the ship charges arrive to offset them. That's what I did last time at final payment, though it didn't quite do the trick. =huh ;)

3. mikesteg

mikesteg Guest

I went and looked this up. These are the limits:

Apply $20 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 6-night cruise or longer in all stateroom categories

Apply $40 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 6-night cruise or longer in all stateroom categories

Apply $60 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 6-night cruise or longer in all Oceanview and Balcony stateroom categories

Apply $80 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 6-night cruise or longer in all Balcony stateroom categories

Apply $100 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 10-night cruise or longer in all stateroom categories

Apply $120 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 10-night cruise or longer in all Oceanview and Balcony stateroom categories

Apply $140 to receive DOUBLE the amount towards a 10-night cruise or longer in all Balcony stateroom categories

Certificates must be redeemed through Touraid Travel Cruise and Vacation Desk at 1-888-275-5605. Call to let them help you plan this getaway.

~~~~

This offer is applicable to new reservations only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or coupon. The Certificate may only be redeemed through the Touraid Travel Cruise and Vacation Desk at 1-888-275-5605. Present your Certificate at the time of deposit to receive credit off your final payment on a Carnival Cruise vacation. The Certificate amount will be credited towards the lowest available fare for the vacation of your choice at the time of reservation. Space is limited and certain restrictions apply.

$40 and $80 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories. $120 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in an Oceanview or Balcony room. $160 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in any Balcony room. $200 certificate is valid towards a 10-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories. $240 certificate is valid towards a 10-night or longer cruise in any Oceanview or Balcony room. $280 certificate is valid on a 10-night or longer cruise in any Balcony Room. One Certificate per cabin. The Certificate has NO CASH value. Payment must be made with your Discover Card.

~~~~

So, if you get up into a long cruise and/or a balcony it might be worth it. I suppose booking far enough in advance you could call the agency to make sure they were competitive, then get the certificate. I don't know (but doubt) that it is possible to return the certificate for credit if they can't give a fair deal.