Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Do people really "hide out" on their balconies during the life vest drill?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by LadyJag1, Feb 21, 2004.

1. LadyJag1

LadyJag1 Guest

I heard people hide on their room balconies instead of doing the life vest drill.
    Just wondering if this was true. What's the point?

2. hkolln

hkolln Guest

They check every cabin so I doubt that is true.
    Last cruise they wouldn't allow us to leave the lifeboat drill area until all passengers were accounted for at the drill area!

3. Alley

Alley Guest

They do check every room! My Mother and I tried to hide out on the balcony during the life vest drill and they found us and paraded us in front of everyone!! The only good thing was we weren't the only ones trying to hide out!

4. rshreib

rshreib Guest

Each muster station has a list of passengers that should be there and they check you off.. Its only 15 minutes of your tiem, its not worth holding up 2000 people cause you dont want to attend and getting stared at the rest of the cruise..

5. zahr03

zahr03 Guest

Not only do they check your cabins and have a list for the drill, they are very precise about making sure folks make the customs check. Our last ship had to wait somewhere around 30-45 minutes or longer to disembark because two people (they ended up calling the by name) didn't show.

6. SandyBeach

SandyBeach Guest

The muster drill varies from ship to ship. We've been on ships where we actually had to give them our name and cabin number. We've been on ships where they just count how many people are there. And we've been on ships where nothing visible was done - perhaps those ships check individual cabins.

It's my least favorite thing to do on a cruise...but it's necessary....so no hiding out here.

The longer it takes to get through the muster drill...the later the ship's departure will be.

7. Dthom54

Dthom54 Guest

Can't imagine anyone not wanting to attend in the first place. It's reassuring to know what to do in an emergency. It only takes a few minutes and could save your life. The odds are in your favor but hey, why take that chance? What is a few minutes going to hurt anyone?

8. txtara

txtara Guest

After being on a ship that caught fire in the middle of the night the last thing you want to skip is the life baot drill!!!!!

9. Alley

Alley Guest

I tried to explain that to my Mother but NO.... she wouldn't listen!! I agree... everyone should attend!! Plus it's fun! Take it from experience.... just do it! Because if you don't you'll look like a total idiot!! LOL

10. PINEVIEW01

PINEVIEW01 Guest

We were on our deck last cruise during the drill. We couldn't hear out there. We didn't hear them knock on our door. We were watching the people on the dock when the door to the deck opened. Out we went. They even check in the bathrooms, so watch out:)

11. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

I'm glad you tried and explain this to your Mom alley... It's really kinda silly not to. I don't wanna repeat the posts here, but they are very intelligient. It's such an insignificant amount of time and frankly.....

IT'S THE LAW.

12. thumperjb

thumperjb Guest

How do they handle the drill for handicapped folks... I understand that you can not use the elevators during the drill. How do handicapped folks who depend on a wheelchair to get around move between decks?

13. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Hmm, I'd be interested myself. =dunno

14. nieciez

nieciez Guest

My father isn't in a wheel chair but he walks with a cane and is slow. We went to a lounge near our muster station 10 minutes before drill so he could use th elevatore to get there.

15. CruisingDiva

CruisingDiva Guest

We had a friend in a wheelchair cruise with us on the Carnival Destiny. He and his wife had a room for "passengers with special needs". Their room was on the same level as the muster drill so no elevators were needed.

I believe all such rooms are on this level. I could be mistaken.

16. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

i was on carnival fantasy last year they didnt check our cabins and we didnt go to muster, sam eon princess grand,,, we watched it on tv in the cabin

17. My husband has a brace on his leg and difficulty walking. On a Carnival cruise he was allowed on the eleveator during the drill. On a Princess cruise our cabin steward told us to stay in our room during the drill and if there was a real emergency to stay in our room and they would come assist us. NCL made us go and then separated the men and women. (That was a first out of 18 cruises.) On a cruise 2 weeks ago on the Spirit nothing was done so he stayed in the room and I went to the drill. They didn't take roll or count people so everything was fine. I have found it is different on every cruise regardless of the cruise line.

18. Nanette

Nanette Guest

As we're not crazy about muster drills, we just waited until the last minute.

(Didn't hold anybody up, but weren't in a hurry to get there, either)

19. DJP

DJP Guest

Why wouldn't you want to know what to do and where to go in case of an emergency at sea? What is the point of hiding out? These are the people who cause harm to others in real emergencies because they are unprepared. It has been our experience on 7 cruises that normally everyone has to wait until all are accounted for at the muster station, so those who try to hide out are only causing grief for their fellow passengers. Don't try to do it!

20. Re: Do people really

Lighten up folks...

We have been on 10 Carnival cruises in the last 4 years. We attended the first 7 lifeboat drills, and have NEVER seen a head count of any kind conducted. We sat in the room twice, and on our balcony once..that is our plan for the future - we never saw evidence of room checking either. When you have been forced to put a vomit/sweat smelling vest around your neck while standing/sweating in the sun for 45 minutes ONCE, that is ENOUGH...

They will have to FIND me to make me go..

..nuff said, the rest of you have fun!

T

Post Edited (03-04-04 15:45)