Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Do wheels count in luggage size?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by pattyb, Sep 6, 2002.

1. pattyb

pattyb Guest

I haven't found anywhere where it says exactly if it's the luggage or the luggage plus wheels and handle that have to under that 62 inch limit. Does anyone know? How many inches can a carry on be and is that including wheels? This could drive a person crazy.

2. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

My understanding is that wheels and handles will be included in the measurements for both checked baggage and carryon.

3. Toto

Toto Guest

I agree, it is all getting very confusing. I think our main question is IF we can use the luggage that we have used before??????????????????????????

4. Alexa

Alexa Guest

I was informed that normal wheels, or handle, do not count toward the size of the luggage. You would just measure the back of the suitcase, (height and width, and then the depth. )
    I have a 29 inch size suitcase, and if handle and wheels were to be included in the measurement, they would not have let me use it for a trip I just took. It is the type of suitcase that can unzip to an extra 3 inch depth if needed. If I had done that, I would not have been able to use it without paying a penalty. I will not use that feature of the suitcase.

5. Bec1844

Bec1844 Guest

I called American Airlines, and they said the wheels and handles DO NOT COUNT!
    We sail on the Brilliance in 45 days!!!

6. Toto

Toto Guest

Well this is much better news than we were getting the other day. Thanks All!

7. Alexa

Alexa Guest

American is the airline I just flew on also, and the wheels and handles did not count.

8. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Alexa....we just flew AA Boston-FLL-Boston and I didn't see them measuring bags in either airport. Are they actually taking out measuring tapes and adding up how many inches? Did you see (or hear about) AA measuring? Imagine how much slower check-in will become....it's bad enough already if we can't curbside check.

9. Toto

Toto Guest

I am sure they would have to have some type of template there is no way that they could measure that many bags that just might be coming close to the oversize limit. They probably just look at them and measure the ones that they suspect might be oversized.

10. Alexa

Alexa Guest

Hi,
    No, I did not see a tape measurer. At my airport the bags are weighed and than placed in a gigantic machine to check for explosives, etc., before they will allow you your tickets. If all is right, you are than handed your tickets, and your bags are tagged. (We have no more curbside check-in service anymore) . I believe that these handlers have seen enough bags in their day, to know which are the oversized ones. I can tell in the stores myself, which are the 29" and the 30" without even reading their tags, because I have owned 29" pullmans for a year now.

11. bOB

bOB Guest