Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Do you remember clotheslines??

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by NiteStar, Apr 16, 2010.

1. SueC

SueC Active Member

I'd forgotten about it, but..my daughter used to do the same thing!!

2. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Well-Known Member

:doubleup:yes I do remember clothes lines.WHY....

I have one still...AND I use it weekly from April to November...not for towels.totally..I soften them in the end in the dryer...but everything else..and since it's Vermont things are fresh and clean smelling...never had a wringer machine..my Momma did before I was born..and Gramma before her...

but I love the smell of my clothes..

my clothes line is an "umbrella type one"..and it matters not how I hang stuff..my neighbours can't see it..:)..the beauty of rural New England... ..

................:sunny:Joanne

3. shadoesmom

shadoesmom Well-Known Member

My mom still hangs laundry on her clothesline. She is 87.

This post made me laugh as I was doing laundry this am and had to move my bag of clothespins hanging in the laundry room. (I use them for cracker bags, chip bags, etc. now) I bought a new square laundry post to replace an old one in the back yard years ago. Can not find the darn hole for it. It's now leaning against the corner in the shed. :(

I always invited the neighbors to use it during the day as I worked days. They liked that. New neighbors all around us since then.

4. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

I used a clothesline when I had "the time" up to 6 years ago before we moved into this house where we are NOT allowed to hang out due to subdivision covanents.:hammer: Count me as another who really love the smell of sheets hung on the line and I didn't think they were scratchy. The only time I didn't hang out was in the winter and this time of year when the pollen is heavy. And I actually liked the towels that were hung out as I felt like they were more absorbent.

We had a wringer washer at our family cottage. When I was a young mother and 35 years ago as a stay at home Mom and Leatherneck was a Marine we couldn't afford disposable diapers I remember washing the diapers in that wringer washer and hanging them on the line during the summer. I wont forget the time when I got my boob stuck in the wringer....say mammogram LOL :biggrin:

5. seagrandaddy&seagrandma

seagrandaddy&seagrandma Well-Known Member

(SEAMOM at Seagrandparents house) NIECIEZ!!!! How on earth did you manage that...never mind..the image is too much :) So tell me....is one side flatter .....and are mammograms much easier for you now? ...oh dear!!

6. NiteStar

NiteStar Well-Known Member

My paternal grandmother had a well and I remember lowering the bucket to draw water. That water tasted sooooo good and was cold right out of the well. I've never, to this day, even with the wells today in the country......found water that tasted as good as my grandmother's well water.

7. Rubysky

Rubysky Well-Known Member

I love the scent of clothes dried on the line. I have never found anything to be scratchy. Sunshine helps kill bactreria.
    Clothes dryers ruin clothes. If something came out of the wash that wasn't 100% clean, the stain will surly be set for life in a hot dryer. It causes undue strain on seams & buttons. It also shrinks clothes.
    Conservation of energy.

I line dry my laundry most of the year. The only time I don't is when it rains or when it is too cold.

Denise, How did you manage to do that? LOL. Don't bother explaining, my sister managed to get hers caught in her pressure cooker. Sometimes it is a good thing that the Boob Fairy didn't visit me.

8. seamom

seamom Well-Known Member

lol Rubysky!!!! my goodness...between Niecez and your sister...either way..they must be wrinklefree! (couldn't resist!!)

Well..just did 3 loads on the line and I figured out another advantage...VERY LITTLE IRONING...ok...so I don't iron much anyway but I'm a little less embarrassed knowing my son will walk out of the house to school tomorrow with a clean shirt that LOOKS like it was ironed AND smell like fresh air!!

Happy Sunday...and yes...I do washing on SUnday...after all...don't they say cleanliness is closer to God...or something like that...I'm going with that!

9. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

I agree Nita. My Great-Grandparents had a well on their farm.

10. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

"Clothes lines"?
    Still use two of them. only not this last few weeks, as when the yellow pollen is so thick, it just stains the cloths (we are talking serious pollen here).

reading through all the responses...

I still use "blueing"

fabric softeners leave towels beautiful and soft, and almost rainproof... not a good thing when you want absorbency..

So I do not use fabric softener on towels.

What I used to do was to bring the towels in from the line and pop them in the dryer to fluff them. Then my MIL told me to pop them (and everything) in for 5 min when you remove them from the washer.. and then hang them out.
    This actually works.

But After a few years of this, I have gone back to what we did before there was "Fabric softener"
    I add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse water. It removes all traces of soap, and leave the clothes soft. And I do not have to pop them in the dryer at all to 'fluff" them.

I started out with a washboard and a "boiler" a 55 gallon drum type thing, on stubby legs, with a tap near the bottom for draining the water out. You pulled this from under the draining board, used a small length of hose to fill it from the sink taps. then you lit the gas ring that was under the boiler.

This was also before Bleach.

Whites that were boiled and then hung out in the sun were hands down whiter than any wash I have ever seen since.

oh yes.. "blueing" came in a cube about 1 inch square. you put it in the toe of an old sock, tied the sock into a knot. and then when the boiler was full, you swished this in the water and pulled it out, storing it in an old cup between uses.

11. NiteStar

Red.....I also do not use fabric softener with my towels. When you try to dry off with a towel that has been used with fabric softener.....all it does is push the water around on your body and doesn't adsorb it! LOL

12. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I also have stopped using fabric softener and after I stopped I didn't have as many allergic reactions. I still use the dryer sheets in closets & drawers to keep those smelling fresh. For the dryer I now use a couple of blue balls that seem to keep the clothes from getting too wrinkled, but they make a racket in the dryer!

Liz

13. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Well-Known Member

I still use clotheslines. We don't get the thick pollen like what was stuck on my car when I returned from our cruise out of Charleston yesterday. The smell is good and I love hanging sheets up on breezy sunny days.

I do use fabric softener but also the vinegar rinse every once in a while to keep the towels from feeling sticky.

14. glo-ree-bee

glo-ree-bee Well-Known Member

Did you also take an old cloth and rub over the whole line so there would be no marks on the freshly washed clothes? Did you have a clothespin bag that hung on your clothes-line that you could push along as you were hanging up the wash? White clothes laid on the grass were supposed to come out whiter than hanging them on the line. Where we live with all the wind, clothes are never stiff or rough. The wind whips them until they are soft when taken off the line. Did you have a clothes basket to put the clothes in or did you just take the clothes off the line and put them across your arm to carry them into the house?

Today laundy duties are much easier but I did like the fresh smell of clothes -line dried clothes.

15. NiteStar

I don't remember my grandmother wiping off the line, but she did have a clothespin bag that pushed along the line as you went and she did have a basket.....a real basket and not one of the plastic ones.

16. red stripe

All of the above..
    except... when I was growing up, lines were rope, so no use wiping them down. When I came to the States and first used the plastic coated lines, I soon learned to wipe them off first.

My peg (clothes pin) bag loops on my shoulder, so it goes where I go, and I am not having to move something on the line.

We never places clothes on the lawn, mostly because most people had dogs... But I have seen things draped on bushes. I did not do this either.. I thought it gave too big a target for birds...
    And these day, with all the sprays the average person puts on their lawns.. I certainly would not do this.

Ditto, softness = wind action.. and that cap of white vinegar also..

Yes to the basket for the things that fold easily. Sheets etc. I will sling over my arms and carry inside to fold.
    We have a dog.. I am 5 foot tall... there is no way I will be able to fold a sheet from the line no matter how careful I am without some part of the sheet touching the ground.

And in honesty.. I do not find hanging out clothes hard. Lets face it, I wash them, hang them up vs. placing them in a dryer. I forget them all day vs. being tied to the laundry area waiting to fold a load.

later that afternoon or early evening I get to stand out in the sunshine folding clothes and listening to the birds.. vs. standing in a laundry area doing this.

If the weather is "IFFY" like today, then I use the dryer.

In our schools once we were about 14, we took "domestic science" once a week for two or three periods.

You started out sewing by hand.. I never got past the "tacking" (basting) stage.. as I figured that something that had to be pulled out did not need to be neat. Unfortunately teacher did not agree with this. She wanted the stitches to be.. 2 stitches about 1/8 long, and one stitch 1/4 inch long.. and so on.. straight as an arrow.
    but that is another story... The first thing you made was a cap and apron. you did it in whatever chapter you were in. I was in "Chatterton" so my colours was.. (what else?) red and white checks.
    Until you completed this, you could not start the Cooking phase of the "Domestic" .

Once I had the apron etc. I was IN...
    One of the first things we were taught was to wash clothes.. I had a real head start here, as I had been washing them since at least the age of 8.
    The next step was to iron them.
    Now in spite of the fact that everyone I knew did own an electric iron... they started us out on flatirons, that we heated up on the huge iron cooker.

I guess they thought that electric irons were just a fad...
    :biggrin:

17. nieciez

I LOVE this thread...so much fun looking back....progress isn't always the best is it.

Red I took "Home Economics" all 4 years of HS. By Senior year we were sewing dresses and suits but Freshman years we started out with a simple wrap-around skirt. The Cooking phase was always fun.

Anyone remember the "Mangle iron"...now THAT was a sucker you didn't want to get stuck in! Mom would let me iron Dad's handkerchefs on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iftGu2j_I

18. red stripe

Denise, I never had a mangle iron..

but remember when I first went to Okinawa.. they would not allow us to take our own furniture because of the many typhoons.
    So the base supplied everything.. including washing machines. The ones with the bottom agitator and a mangle on the top.

My previous husband was an avid scuba diver, and he had often brought back octopus for the Okinawan's on base.

They would prepare it and then bring it in and he would sample it.
    They told him how to prepare it himself, and that the first step was to remove the slime and tenderize it.

They told him a great shortcut to do this..
    Put about 6 inches of water in the washing machine.. add tons of salt and the octopi... and agitate for a few min.

Picture a 6 foot octopus, oozing slime and ink.. while agitating.....

So he drops this 6 foot octopus into the washer as instructed. at the end of the agitation.. he removed a very compact 3 foot octopus. and went into the kitchen to finish the experiment..

I looked into my washing machine to see something that looked like a cross between Aspic and the jelly you get on spam.. only really very dirty and very solid!

I told him that there was NO way I was scooping this out and cleaning the machine.. and if he ever wanted another piece of clean cloths.. he would clean up the mess
    :biggrin:

19. nieciez

OMG Red, that would freak me out! We weren't able to take furniture to Oki either and I never knew that was the reason...makes sense. I just thought they didn't want expense.

I have "Martha Steward" on TV while I work and they are doing a segment of box and container gardening.....I remember a thread a number of years ago when you taught us about that Red.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  20. maw

maw Wordsmith

My memories go back to wash tubs with boards, the various waters for rinsing and then wringing by hand, thank goodness my mother did get a washer sooner with a gasoline motor-we lived in rural Missouri no REA yet. I raised my kids with a wringer washer and no dryer, hated getting clothes hung on line and the rules did apply as listed. If you left your clothes on line after dark you were tacky and lazy. We did not have paper diapers but had to wash the cloth ones and they had to be gotten white. I don't think I got my first modern washer and dryer until abt time kids were in grade school. I had run to a launderette for many years. Bre3nda hated to go to launderette with me-she says mom you know such strange people. We were never to embarass a client and it was up to them to acknowledge you and they sure would unload a lot at laundry mat.