• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you remember clotheslines??

red stripe

Denise.
That Square foot gardening system was by mel bartholomew

I see that he has made youtube now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Lu-7FIj_g

The other evening my neighbour was all excited, she said that as I garden, perhaps I would want to read the newest book out. it was Mel's book..
I laughed and told her.. "no thanks, I have his original one in the house"

So funny.. to her this was all brand new.
I still practice what he said to do, and it makes life a whole lot easier.

maw, oh yes, the scrubbing board in the sink or bathtub was how I started out.

That is why I always had terrible ugly hands, even as a child.
large knuckles etc. I spent my life being ashamed of how my hands looked up to my peers hands.
These days I figure I have finally grown into them. And I am rather proud of all the hard work they represent.

And about those diapers...

When I came to America I was allowed 44 pounds of luggage on the plane. And as I had a 1 year old baby.. and would not see our household goods for three months.. you can guess what was in that suitcase.

A stack of those cloth nappies (diapers) and baby clothes.. very little of my own stuff.
I wore my most full skirted dress, with all my petticoats under it, a cardigan and my full-length thick pure wool coat with a very thick lining.
I landed in new York in June..
can we talk heat here?

Cyndi

What a fun thread,,, we had a wringer washer in Germany, in 1972, and I had to fill it with the hose from the telephone shower. (that’s what we called that, now everyone seems to have those types of showers, and our telephones are cordless so you wouldn’t make the connection today ) The Air Force issued the washer, but no dryer,,, I am not sure how I was suppose to dry the clothes, with two boys under 6 and a brand new baby girl,,, as we were out on the economy and had no clothes lines. So we bought an old dryer from someone leaving, and vented it through the sky light,,, long story, anyway we had to start the dryer by pushing the drum,,, and I would forget the water going into the washer in the bathroom and it would over flow. I did have clean floors…..

When we first got married, my mom embroidered kitchen towels for me, which I still have, and they read:

Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Shop on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
And Church on Sunday

Do you remember these,
Every wife was suppose to follow these rules

red stripe

Cyndi, I started one "modern" washer by shorting it with a screwdriver while standing on a concrete slab outdoors.... I knew one day I would be fried.. but two small children, summer in Georgia.. I would have risked anything just to use that washer.

And I remember the poem well.. my nan lived by that.
I have changed it a bit.. as I tend to wash twice a week.. washing bed linens on Friday, so I can start out the weekend fresh

nieciez

Community Sponsor
Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Shop on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
And Church on Sunday
I remember that routine too.:doubleup: I also had a routine on what was for dinner

Sunday - roast
Monday - something made from the Sunday left overs
Tuesday - pork chops
Wednesday - spaghetti
Thursday - chicken
Friday - fish
Saturday - pizza, hot dogs or hamburgers

Cyndi

I hear you Red,,, I remember when I thought wee Peggy put shoes in the dryer and it was the kitten,,, :( luckly I checked it soon after, the darn thing wouldn't stop unless you unpluged it!

Denise, I still do a bit of that for dinner, but now we usually have taco's on Friday and fish at leas twice durning the week... :boogie:

red stripe

Cyndi.. Denise... everyone has stories.. but I think that military wives can top 'em any day.. The things we did in all those moves. The places we lived... I think I have washed every way there is excepting slapping clothes on stones on a riverbank.. and there is still time for that...

Donna - dsw

Denise - that is too funny - - as kids we knew what day of the week it was by what we were having for dinner - - my mom seemed to cook the same thing every week! lol:whistle:

nieciez

Community Sponsor
Denise - that is too funny - - as kids we knew what day of the week it was by what we were having for dinner - - my mom seemed to cook the same thing every week! lol:whistle:
In our early days in the military on a thin budget it was easy this way for economics. Later when I went back to work I set up 4 different weekly "menu plans" that were more creative and varied (but some wort of pasta was on Wednesday and instead of fish sticks or frozen flounder filets we might have shrimp). It made it easier for dinner planning and grocery shopping as each 2 week menu and a grocery list. Back then I did my "big" family grocery shopping every 2 weeks. It was great as I never had to say:scratch:...ah, what are we going to have for dinner tonight:biggrin:

britjc

Great thread, but nobodys mentioned the washing pole, it was a piece of 4 x 4 wood about 10 foot long with either a v cut in the top or a very large nail hammered out the side, when all the wet washing was hung out the line always stretched and I remember my mother used to lift the washing line in the middle with this pole and wedge it in and it kept the washing from hitting the ground.

red stripe

Great thread, but nobodys mentioned the washing pole, it was a piece of 4 x 4 wood about 10 foot long with either a v cut in the top or a very large nail hammered out the side, when all the wet washing was hung out the line always stretched and I remember my mother used to lift the washing line in the middle with this pole and wedge it in and it kept the washing from hitting the ground.
Britjc..good point.... I did not mention it because to me.. it was a part of the clothes line.. you did not have one without the other.... if you catch my drift.. :biggrin:

Our clothes pole has the V cut in it, although at one time Einstein had put one of those screw in "U's" .... ummmm think of it upside down and screwed into the top of the pole, with the clothes line threaded through it.
It made sure that the pole did not fall to the ground.

seamom

My 90 year old neighbour has those leaning against her house and when we were still friendly...oh.there's stories there......she used to yell over every time I did the washing..do you want to borrow my poles!?

NiteStar

Yes, I certainly do remember hanging pants on those wire brackets. In fact, I still have one that I use to stretch jeans that have become a little too snug. :whistle:

My mother used to use liquid starch and then put the clothes in the freezer. So of course one of my chores was ironing and I would have to iron these frozen stiff (literally) shirts and pants!

nieciez

Community Sponsor
My mother used to use liquid starch and then put the clothes in the freezer. So of course one of my chores was ironing and I would have to iron these frozen stiff (literally) shirts and pants!
I remember my Mom putting clothes in the refrigerator and having the "sprinkler bottle" to slightly dampen the clothes. Myself, I've used a spray bottle with water while ironing for "extra steam".

And I remember the prop poles too.

NiteStar

nieciez.....yep, we had the sprinkle bottle. Ironing those clothes was difficult and by the time you were finished, the shirts and/or pants could practically stand on their own!

Cyndi

I remember the pole,,, wow, I had forgotten that one. My mom would use one to keep the dog from pulling down the clothes, that dog must have been a terrier as I remember that he did jump up and pull clothes off the line,, my mom was so mad I thought she was going to kill him,:no: maybe that was when dad made the poles for her,,, not sure:shrug: