• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do YOU spend much time in your stateroom?

G

GloBug

Everyone says they only sleep and change clothes in their room, and they don't spend much time in there at all. We are getting a Jr. Suite on our first cruise, mostly because there are three of us, and no one wants to sleep in a fold out from the wall. But the balcony seems like it will be an added inducement to spend some time in the stateroom.. and since we aren't "lay out in the sun" people we won't be doing that when we aren't in port... but it seems like a nice comfy big enough stateroom would be a great place to go to just watch the ocean or shore as we pass by, rest up between bouts of craziness, relax after dinner, etc.

Or maybe I just have NO idea what's in store for us yet!

A

Ali

I spend a lot of time in the cabin. It's relaxing for me to be out on the balcony just watching the waves. My daughter spends hours out there reading. You'll love the room you have in that cabin.

S

sailingrose

I probably spend more time in our balcony rooms then any other cabin. I love coffee in the morning, a drink before dinner and a cup of tea in the wee hours all on the balcony watching the waves. I love the scent of ocean!

We're getting our first aft cabin next month and we'll have an extra large balcony so I expect to spend more time there.

G

GloBug

I know I will! Daughter threatened to spend the entire cruise on the balcony, reading and playing her guitar, until I told her she didn't HAVE to go to the teen disco, and could hang with me! Gees! Now she's looking forward to it more than she will admit. She teases me all the time, saying she just hopes to heaven they have a napkin folding class!

Hey Ali, we have JS 1076, on the right (starboard?) side of the ship. I assume that half the time on our 4 dayer Mexico, we'll see ocean, but will we get to glimpse land some of the time?

A

Ali

Glo I have no idea..I haven't sailed on the Monarch since the ship stopped sailing the southern Caribbean route. Try emailing lizardstew or Lady Jag they both recently sailed on the ship.

You are going to have such a wonderful time on that ship.

Post Edited (05-12-04 00:05)

C

conniecat

We spent lots of time in our cabin. (Explorer 4-17-04). I loved sitting on the balcony and listening to the swish swish of the waves. We watched docking and leaving ports from there, also. Watched first run movies, and took a nap every afternoon. Sat up late watching old TV shows. My very favorite place on the ship, tho, was the "H"-- the helicopter landing pad on the bow.

N

Natalia

Glo.... you do realize that 4 days are going to go soooo fast, and you will wish you had booked a 7 day itinerary?? I had my first balcony cabin last time I cruised... assumed I also would spend more time there, but dang it, I cant stay away from all the fun! Maybe once I have 20 cruises under my belt, I will be able to slow down, sit and enjoy the quiet more. But for now, Im too wound onboard to sit for long, even though I love to relax and watch the ocean (and read, chat, whatever). Not sure about those 4 day itineraries, but on the 7 day one, you dont see much land other than when in port (nearing and leaving too, of course).

L

ljeanbrown

Yes we spend plenty of time in our cabins, even more so when we have a balcony. I wake up before sunrise and have coffee out on our balcony and watch the sunrise, it is such a great feeling being out in the middle of the ocean sipping my morning coffee and watching the ocean.We also enjoy being out on the balcony at night and any other time of the day for that matter :lol since you have a nice size cabin with a sitting area right by the balcony I bet you will find time to enjoy your view also :thumb you can either sit on the balcony or on your sofa with the curtains and balcony door open. You will be out and about a lot because this is your first cruise, but I think you will find having a coffee or light breakfast on your balcony a nice thing to do.

A

Al

I'm a champion of the "get out there and enjoy the ship" style of cruising. Living in Florida, with the Gulf of Mexico virtually at my doorstep, water views are not a priority for me. I truly use my stateroom as a place to hang my hat for the week, and genuinely enjoy meeting some wonderful people while exploring my five-star floating resort. Having booked a shorter cruise, you should avail yourself of whatever the ship has to offer; but if relaxation is your objective, you'll have a grand time on the balcony. You made a wise decision to book accommodations with a little elbow room. Three in a standard size cabin is akin to living in a phone booth. I know you'll be back for more. Have a fabulous cruise!

S

ssatterly

I plan to spen time on our Balcony on the Radiance in Dec. With my man. And enjoy the ship as well..

C

cfurry

G-Lo,

For us, the balcony was a real plus. Last summer on Rhapsody, there were three of us staying in our jr. suite (one of them a teenager), and the balcony provided a nice bailout area. You also get maximum sunlight from a balcony room because the window is larger than with a regular ocean view. And, as so many others have mentioned, it's relaxing to hang out and read or enjoy a meal overlooking the ocean.

Whether you spend hours out on the balcony or use it just a few minutes a day, it's nice to have the option. And with three of you in the cabin, there's bound to be someone who enjoys the balcony more than others. So it helps provide some privacy and space for whoever needs it.

I think that's the best way to look at it. I wouldn't try to pre-plan how much time I'm going to spend on the balcony vs. doing things on the ship. Just let your impulse be your guide. Do what you want. That is the essence of the cruise experience!

C

Cruise cutie

We love our balconies,and just go with the flow..we do escape the hustle/bustle and slow down and grab a catnap as we tend to ebb and flow our schedule according to the Princess Patter sheets..so we really do utilise our room here and there..enjoy your whole experience Globug and resign yourself to the fact you are addicted already!!..:grin Welcome to a huge club!!....;)..Joanne..

K

kitten

Last year's cruise on the EOS, me and our daughter spend quite abit of time out on the balconey, we had an aft-cabin. I would read and snooze, and she would either read, listen to her c.d. or even takle a nap, there was nothing more relaxing than listening to the "whooshing" sound of the waves as we sailed by! Sometimes I would just sit and stare out on the ocean, with the book I had been reading falling down in my lap. Something very relaxing and hypnotic about just sitting and staring out over the ocean/

C

Cruzman

Before I booked my first balcony stateroom, I was pretty much like those who say that they spend very little time in their cabin. THEN, I made a "fatal mistake" and booked a balcony; now I'm hooked! I will never again find much satisfaction in any cabin without a verandah; and yes, I now spend lots of time out on that verandah, starting each day with room service breakfast while watching the waves go by.

H

Hucc

as you can see, there is a relationship between the kind of cabin and how much time one spends there :)

R

Rubysky

Very little. Shower, change clothes, sleep. I'm by myself enough at home, I hate it. When I'm on a cruise I want to be where the action is.

A

Ali

That's it exactly Hucc! I like Cruzman made the fatal mistake of taking a balcony cabin many cruises ago and from that moment on I only booked balconies. When I did have outside cabins, I spent as little time as possible in there. Morning coffee is great out on a balcony. :)

D

dreamer

Totally agree!! If you have a balcony....you tend to spend more time in your cabin.
On our explorer trip....the family had one balcony and one inside.
Needless to say...we hung out in the balcony cabin. One afternoon before dinner, I sat on the balcony enjoying a drink and writing my daily journal....and when I looked inside.......I saw 5 bums lounging on the bed and pull out...watching t.v.
eheheheheheh
What a site!!!
No worries...you will have a great time.
Glad to hear your daughter is coming around...sounds like she is looking forward to this
good news!!!
dreamer
:wave

O

oriolesfan22

I've always laughed when people have said "you don't spend much time in your cabin anyway..." because we always have enjoyed the alone time in the cabin. Now you guys are scaring me though because in 4 months we have our first balcony and I have to wonder it we'll be spending a ton more time in the cabin! It's always very nice coming back to a quiet room for a quick nap or just time away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the cruise.

B

BP

We always have a balcony and spend a lot of time in the cabin and on the balcony. I always have breakfest in the morning on the balcony and enjoy an afternoon and pre dinner drink just sitting on the balcony and enjoying the ocean view. It is quiet and very peaceful.