Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Dog sledding

Discussion in 'Alaska & Pacific Northwest Ports' started by andie155, Jun 19, 2003.

1. andie155

andie155 Guest

I would like to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with the dogsledding and helicopter tour in Juneau. Did you feel that the it was worth the money? I am concerned about spending $400 a person if you really don't get much time on the sled. Did you have a full amount of time on the sled with the dogs, or do you spend a lot of time standing around waiting for your turn. Thanks for any input!

2. Davida

Davida Guest

Andie,

If you look at my review in the reader review section of this website, I do a whole section on dogsledding. It may help you decide on this. In a nutshell, the dog sledding was the highlight of our cruise. We did it in Skagway due to Juneau having the highest cancellation rate of all ports. We also got a 50% discount for our kids from Temsco. If you book through the ship, price is $400. If you book independently ( TEMSCO), the price is $349 pp/adult, $175 pp/kids. My wife and I took turns driving and sitting. The sight from the helicopter is spectacular and the experience on the snow is worth the money. Because they have multiple dog sleds, you do not have to wait for turns. They do take the time introducing you to the dogs both before and after. They also rest the dogs for 5 minutes at a time several times during the excursion. I don't think you will fill cheated. It was a wonderful experience my family will never forget.

3. DianeD

DianeD Guest

I'd like to tag onto your question Andie155 --- (hope you don't mind)

I'm also concerned about spending almost $400 for the helicopter tour (1/2 the price of my cruise) and dog sledding and am curious to know how much time you really spend with the "dogs and sledding" portion of the trip?

I have heard that the $185 helicopter tour is wonderful and well worth the price, but I think you still only get 20 minutes on the ice.

Thanks, Diane

Star Princess (Inside Passage) 9/6/03

4. andie155

andie155 Guest

Thank you David for your helpful information. That does help me decide on the dogsledding excursion. I think it is something that I would regret not doing while I am there. Thanks again!

5. DianeD

DianeD Guest

Darn -- wish I could go. We arrive in Juneau on September 8 and they are closing the dog sled camps on September 5.

I am scheduled for the helicopter tour in Skagway, so that will be a great experience. Whale watching in Juneau too.

andie55 --- let us know if you do go.

Enjoy :)

6. Davida

Davida Guest

DianeD

I took the 185 dollar helicopter out of Juneau. You do indeed spend about 20 minutes on the glacier. I know it wasn't any more that that. It is also very slippery so wear boots provided by helicopter company. The views are awesome. You will see different colors of ice, some smooth surfaces while others are waves of crevaces. You will see waterfalls and majestic scenes out of a postcard. You have to expect that glaciers aren't snow white. Some are dirty looking but it doesn't take away from its magnitude. Enjoy whatever tour you do. I took the helicopter and dogsled tour. The dogsled tour offers both worlds, great glacier views and dog sledding experience. Have fun in whatever you do.

dave in houston