Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Don't worry about formal attire

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by suemare3333, Aug 19, 2004.

1. suemare3333

suemare3333 Guest

Hello everyone
    Wanted to post this to ease any worriers about formal attire. We're back from the Paradise and found that hardly anyone wore a tux or evening gown. Most men were in suits and women in dressy pant suits or black dresses.
    I'm new to cruising and before I left, I was concerned about formal night. My DH wore a dark suit and I wore a black dress and shawl. We were looked dressier than most, so I worried for nothing.
    Just wanted other newbies to know that tuxedos were far and few, same with gowns.
    Don't miss out on the dining experience, the food was wonderful!!

2. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

I do think a dark suit and a dressy black dress are fine for formal night, but I hate to see people encouraged to dress in anything less.

In July we sailed on the Victory to Canada for only a four night cruise. I had heard it said that people to tend to dress less formally on Carnival, and on short cruises in general. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that the majority, 90 percent or more, of the passengers wore at least the dark suit and dressier black dress. There were very few tuxes though.

The people who did not dress formally seemed to mostly be children, and some of their parents, and some of the younger (early twenties age) people. IMHO, in that large group of nicely dressed people, almost all in black, those underdressed folk really looked out of place.)

3. serene56

serene56 Guest

While on the VIctory we saw a guy wear those tee shirts with the tux imprinted on the front.

People do no tknow the circumstances to why people wear what they do- on the Voyager there were 6 cabins that did not get their luggge until midweek. (seems their luggage was misplaced sitting in some one elses cabin-- (if it dont belong to you--why keep stepping over it???)

I found that on both ROyal and Carnival-- you will see all kinds of dress for formal nights. From the beaded ball gowns to pants suits and just plain ole sun dresses.

4. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

It's true, there are always unfortunate folk, whose luggage took it's own excursion to Seattle, whilst they were on their way to San Juan. And when I see someone wearing the same clothing all week, that is what I assume. Poor things. I was very glad to see so very few of them suffering so, on the Victory last month.

5. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

IMHO, if someone wants to wear jeans and a t shirt on formal night, its their vacation let them do what they paid to do, i know im gonna catch flack for this one, but who cares what anyone else is wearing or how out of place it looks... your not there for a fashion show,,,, i dont think that you should not be able to have your lobster just because of this rule... i get dressed up because i like to but certainly not becasue i have too. just go on vacation and enjoy yourself no matter what you want to do, its your money that you spent, enjoy it the way you want to...

just please dont come to the dining room in a thong :) LOL

RELAX, ENJOY , and LOVE THAT YOU ARE NOT HOME !!!!!

6. terri910

terri910 Guest

On the Elation, our of Galveston, last week, we saw lots different "degrees" of formality in attired on the formal nights. There were a couple of men in jeans, plaid flannel shirts, and cowboy hats! (We don't know if they were from the one party whose luggage had not been found as of the 4th day, or if in Texas that IS formal attired - jk, people!) Didn't bother us. Most everyone looked so wonderful. The table next to ours there was a young boy -- probably 10 or so -- in a tux, and he looked wonderful! Still, he wound up hanging/balancing a spoon on his nose, so they may clean up nice, but they're still kids! *L*

Stress is the LAST thing you want to do on a cruise. Wear something nice that makes you feel fabulous and ENJOY!

7. Thanks suemare3333 for posting what you saw first hand.
    ('Formal Attire' is always a heated subject on the boards)

Although we have only been on 3 cruises to date I have to agree that "tuxedos were far and few, same with gowns".

terri910

On our cruises it wasn't just the "kids' doing the spoon thing.........................

[​IMG]

:)

8. ctmak

ctmak Guest

Angel:

I disagree. I think the attitude -- and the argument -- "it's my vacation, I paid for it, I can do anything I want!" -- is, frankly, kinda rude. Unless one is chartering the whole ship, there are other passengers.

Carnival provides guidelines. Seems to me they should be followed because that is the expectation the cruise line is setting. Besides, CC provides alternative dinning if one wishes not to dress up -- the buffet on the Lido deck. So there really is no excuse in the Main Dining Rooms.

Now, will it ruin my cruise if I am seated next to a guy in jeans and a "Yankees Suck" t-shirt? No, of course not. But I will feel kinda embarrassed for him.

Just my opinion.

CTMak

9. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

CTMAK, thats ok that you feel embarrased for him , but thats wasted empathy especially if he does not feel embarassed himself...

I for one do dress up on formal nights, not because ccl has guidelines but because i want to as i posted before, everyone has paid the for the same vacation, and is entitled to all the events not just some,,,

Some people dont care what you think about them your on a hip with 2500 other people whom you will probably never see again. I dont admonish anyone for their own style , my brother is into the goth thing hes 23 years old, so dressed up to him is extra eyeliner and black fingernail polish.... thats how he wants to be and im not emabarrased for him... i certainly wouldnt be embarraed for someone i dont even know, its not going to make my lobster taste any different...i know that this is always a touchy subject but i also feel, that everyones entitled to their own vacation

10. MoJo2Rusty

MoJo2Rusty Guest

I dress up on Formal nights because I think it's fun. I don't get a lot of chances at home to dress up so to me that's a fun part of my vacation. Also all those I travel with enjoy it too. I guess my question is. These ships are like a little city. They have causual dining areas, buffets, and formal dining areas. If you were at home and had to choose between a resturant that required you to dress, ie: guys in a coat and tie, and no shorts, jeans etc. Would you buck the system and try to get in, or would you go someplace that suites the way you want to dress?
    Me, there are resturants in my city that I would not think of entering in jeans, sorts or the casual wear. If I want to go there I would dress as expected by that establishment. If I want to dress in cassual or very casual wear, I hit the drive thru or a resturant that the atire is exceptable.
    I guess I just don't get it. It's not like you can't eat if you don't go with the formal/simiformal thing.

Maybe what they should do is have the first setting for those that don't want to dress up and go with less formal table settings etc. Save the late settings for those that want to go all out.
    On my cruise on the Triumph. Most of the men had on at least a coat and tie and I would guess that at least half of the ladies, maybe more had on long evening wear or coctail dresses. It was so much fun watching them all parade by before and after dinner.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.
    Sorry , just MHO

11. ctmak

ctmak Guest

Mona:

Very well said ... I agree.

However, I don't think they need to change the seatings. It's really very simple. Main dinning room one dresses up a bit. If one doesn't want to dress up that's ok -- just go to the buffet. I just don;t get what the big deal is. Plus, geesh, it's not like putting on a tie is akin to root canal. People make it out like dressing up a bit is like a swarm of bee stings.

CTMak

12. suemare3333

suemare3333 Guest

Jeff&Susana
    Oh, you're too funny.. I LOVED your pic!!
    Yes, formal attire is a sticky subject here.. But Carnival is a bit more casual than other cruise lines and it's pretty obvious that most cruisers aren't about to put on a tux or gown for dinner.
    I was really surprised to see that formal night was far from "formal".
    I was also told that you should dress up a bit for the show lounge. Well, I found that most of the folks were very casual in their attire. Lots of flip flops and shorts.
    My first cruise opened my eyes and I found that there was no need to stress about attire.

13. Eoconnor

Eoconnor Guest

WE do not dress up, and we do not use the main dinning room. On vacation we go casual. If we wanted to dress up we would choose another line.

14. Precision

Precision Guest

When we go on our cruise I will definately be dressing up on formal nights. I am not doing this because of the code or what others think ext.. I am doing so because it turns my wife on. When she gets turned on I get turned on, then we have a wonderful night back at the cabin :) So I guess I will be looking for a new italian suit. Personally I could care less what people do or wear as long as they don't hinder me and my wife from having a good time.

15. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

If you don't want people to be "under dressed" serve them the lobster and steak on the lido deck. I'm going to be purchasing a new dark suit for our upcoming cruises so I won't "stanout" or feel out of place. But if you are offended by what others wear maybe the others should have access to the same food on that night without having to put the formal clothes on.

Jim

16. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

Very well said jimlinalf...

I ablsolutley agree, no one should be singled out from something :)

Only a few months away from my lobster diner

17. MoJo2Rusty

MoJo2Rusty Guest

I thought they did server much of the same stuff in the buffet. AT least I was told that they had lobster, steaks etc in the lido buffet.

18. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

steaks but not lobster :(

19. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

I agree with Mona very much. As an online T/A I wear jeans and a polo to work most every day, Heck, I live in Vegas! Too hot to wear much else. It is fun to put on the tux, tie and studs and cufflinks (which Susan usually has to help me with) on formal night because it is different. That's why we @ddicts cruise; because it is different. The only time I've worn my tux here was at the company Christmas party.

Kakkis and nice shirt at the least for the non-formal dinners. I usually try to put on a tie with my shirt at dinner but that's just me. I'm with a beautiful girl in a beautiful dining room in a beautiful ship with a gourmet meal. Why not dress the part?

I love being a beach bum by day but at night I like to dress for the part. Some don't share that opinion but don't come to the elegant dining room dressed for McDonald's drive through. It is your vacation but it is others' vacation too. Respecting that is important.

IMHO

Michael

20. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

I thought I might add as well, sometimes you also may want to ask for a table for 2 if you dont want to dress up but still go to the dining room..

so as not to " offend one's tablemates", personally i could care less what my tablemates are wearing, i dont go to dinner to be a fashion critic i go to enjoy everyones company , and eat good food, and after 4 bottles of wine per table, who cares what your all wearing...

It makes me a little sad to see, poeple say, " oh i would never do that " , "or i just wouldnt eat there"

I cant stand when people are so worried about what every one else is thinking, i mean really, thats just silly, thats stuff that people did in highschool. I am not far out of highschool as i am only 25 years old. But the last cruise i was on , during formal night , a couple was in the dining room, in jean shorts and souvenier tank tops. SO WHAT!!! Im sorry i just really dont understand why everyone gets so worked up about what you should and should not wear, its absolutley rediculous, if you want to get dressed up every night and that makes you happy, then by god do it , if you want to be casual, then be casual, if you are sitting with me at dinner, and you are in jeans and a t shirt thats okay.. but if you pick your nose at the table please be polite enough to use your own napkin :) thats just bad taste :)

Just what is appropriate by the way..... what about the 13year old girl in a dress thats 4 sizes to small, trying to look all grown up with gobs of make up and the barely there mini dress... is that unacceptable, not according to CCL guidelines,.... come one people... just go on vacation and dont show up in the dining room naked :)