Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

dramamine vs bonine

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by janes, Jan 15, 2006.

1. janes

janes Guest

I know this topic has been talked about on this board before, but I wanted everyones opinion about motion sickness medication. Which do you think is better, dramamine or bonine? I have a flight via Newark to get to Fl Lauderdale, and it's on a puddle jumper, and I know I am going to need to take something for the motion. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

2. RichardK

RichardK Guest

In my opinion they are the same. The active ingredient in both Dramamine and Bonine is Meclazine. In fact I have gone to Wal-Mart and have purchased a bottle of Meclazine from the Pharmacy (most States no prescription needed) at a fraction of the price.

3. PEB

PEB Guest

I have used both and feel they work the same. The one difference to look at is that dramamine can come in a drowsy and non drowsy formula. In other words if you decide to take dramamine look for the one you want.

4. flapr1

flapr1 Guest

Meclizine is the active ingredient in Dramamine II and Bonine. Like RichardK mentioned, just purchase generic meclizine and save a lot of money.

The original Dramamine tends to make many folks sleepy & drowsy (me included). However, we both have always taken meclizine before and during our cruises with no noticeable side effects.

Consult your physician for dosage for children 6 and under.

5. Babyblue

Babyblue Guest

I too use the Meclazine. Cheaper and works fine for me. I take one pill about 1-2 days before any travel- by plane or on the ship and one each night.If it gets bumpy I take 2. I have severe motion sickness and it has worked fine for me on all of my 16 cruises/plane trips.

Over the counter(actually behind the counter at Walmart)

Good luck

Karen

6. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

Actually Flapr1 is right, that it is Dramamine II that is the same as Bonine. Regular Dramamine is not. It's generic name is Dimenhydrinate, and it does make you sleepy.