• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

dramamine vs bonine

J

janes

I know this topic has been talked about on this board before, but I wanted everyones opinion about motion sickness medication. Which do you think is better, dramamine or bonine? I have a flight via Newark to get to Fl Lauderdale, and it's on a puddle jumper, and I know I am going to need to take something for the motion. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

R

RichardK

In my opinion they are the same. The active ingredient in both Dramamine and Bonine is Meclazine. In fact I have gone to Wal-Mart and have purchased a bottle of Meclazine from the Pharmacy (most States no prescription needed) at a fraction of the price.

P

PEB

I have used both and feel they work the same. The one difference to look at is that dramamine can come in a drowsy and non drowsy formula. In other words if you decide to take dramamine look for the one you want.

F

flapr1

Meclizine is the active ingredient in Dramamine II and Bonine. Like RichardK mentioned, just purchase generic meclizine and save a lot of money.

The original Dramamine tends to make many folks sleepy & drowsy (me included). However, we both have always taken meclizine before and during our cruises with no noticeable side effects.

Consult your physician for dosage for children 6 and under.

B

Babyblue

I too use the Meclazine. Cheaper and works fine for me. I take one pill about 1-2 days before any travel- by plane or on the ship and one each night.If it gets bumpy I take 2. I have severe motion sickness and it has worked fine for me on all of my 16 cruises/plane trips.

Over the counter(actually behind the counter at Walmart)

Good luck

Karen

G

Gayle V

Actually Flapr1 is right, that it is Dramamine II that is the same as Bonine. Regular Dramamine is not. It's generic name is Dimenhydrinate, and it does make you sleepy.