Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

dress codes

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by jenibq, Apr 19, 2004.

1. bconley24

bconley24 Guest

Ok,

Thanks for all the information. I guess we will just buy him a suit and hope he can at least wear it a few other times.

2. sunworshiper

sunworshiper Guest

We just did a seven day cruise. There were two formal nights and some people were really decked. I can tell you the nights after formal night you were able to wear shorts in the dining room and a lot of people did. We wished we would have known that before we cruised because the men in our group brought pants for every night. Carnival posted casual night in the capers, when we called info to find out what that meant exactly, they said "you are allowed to wear shorts".

3. jedgar

jedgar Guest

You are not allowed to wear shorts in the dining room with the exception that on certain ships on certain nights when the ship is on port late at night, they do allow and announce that shorts are permitted.

4. ScottieB64

ScottieB64 Guest

Folks, is this really that big of a deal??? God forbid that someone wear comfortable shorts to eat dinner while on vacation. What are they going to do, make you swim back to shore for wearing shorts???

5. randy

randy Guest

Just a step up from "no shirt, no shoes, no service." Good thing there are so many dining venues on newer ships. You can literally spend the entire cruise in your swim trunks and (3-for $10!) t-shirt and still gain weight!

6. cherbat

cherbat Guest

I've been on several cruises. There is no reason why men can't wear Levi's on casual or informal nights in the dining room. As long as they don't wear shorts, no one cares what type of long pants they have on. No one is going to throw you out of the dining room for having on jeans. Not with what you pay to be on the cruise!

7. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

I agree. My husband always wear Levi's, with a nice Polo shirt or the like, at least one night. Now they are nice Levi's...not his working in the yard or fishing pants!!! That does make a big difference. He has always liked to look nice when we go out so I don't have to push him at all.

8. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

I usually dress with a coat and tie on formal nights and causual shirt and pants on other nights. I dress like I was going out to eat at a restuarant.

I too have seen people overdressed and underdressed on formal nights. Sometimes we need to remember that the younger generation after the 60's are different and the generation of the 90's are absolutely different! They do not have the same decorum (I think that's spelled right) as previous generations. I guess it's because of this that some rules of ettiquette are ignored.

The thing that we need to remember is have fun, fun, fun. Relax and go with the flow.

Happy Cruising. I'll be on the Conquest in mid June!! I will looking for your review.

coffeecups

ps I agree that unless your son is going to use the tux a few times, it is best to just get him a sports coat (I think that is what they call it) and a nice tie.

9. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

coffeecups wrote:

>> Sometimes we need to remember that the younger
    > generation after the 60's are different and the generation of
    > the 90's are absolutely different! They do not have the same
    > decorum (I think that's spelled right) as previous generations.
    > I guess it's because of this that some rules of ettiquette are
    > ignored.
    >
    >

That's a pretty broad stoke you're painting. Much like the post about ALL teenagers wanting to run around with nose rings and baggy pants. I teach high school and see 180 students each day in my classroom. They run the gamut of punk/druggies future drop outs to athletes and scholars. The in-between kids are pretty great, too. Then there are the cross-over kids with the piercings and the dark clothes and makeup who are some of the smartest, and most polite of all my students. You just can't hang a label that says 'one size fits all.'
    My sons came into adulthood in the 90's. They absolutely do have "decorum" and know how to dress properly for the occasion. Of course, they were brought up right!
    I also know many kids who were "brought up right" that have broken their parents heart, and many other kids were wonderful DESPITE a lack of good parenting.

10. Plus, Coffeecups, you may want to consider that the laws of decorum have changed over the years. In my opinion, I'd rather sit with polite and friendly people dressed in shorts than rude or overbearing folks dressed to the nines!

11. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

Boy, you said it. Give me friendliness and politeness anytime over "dressed to kill", snooty types.
    And before you jump all over me, I don't mean all "dressed to kill" people are snooty or rude. It is just that you can't judge a book by it's cover. Give everyone a chance. Even if they aren't in formal wear.
    Personally, I intend to be very dressed up on both formal nights, but just plain ol' me the rest of the time.

12. I'll be dressed too, observing "proper decorum"! Last year though it was the best-dressed couple (tux, beaded gown) who treated our poor waiters like slaves...demanding two dinners each, never saying thank you ...it made things very awkward and tense for the rest of us!

13. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

How sad! People like that just really get under my skin. Those are the same ones that don't want to leave a good tip because the waiter wasn't good enough or fast enough to suit them. They must have a miserable life if they think most people are beneath them. :(

14. You are so right!! It was terrible sitting withthose two....all of the rest of us felt guilty by association. The good news is that we all fell over backwards trying to be nice to the servers, and I think the nasty couple got the hint by the last night!

15. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

Kensterfly! wrote:

> My sons came into adulthood in the 90's. They absolutely do have "decorum" and know how to dress properly for the occasion. Of course, they were brought up right!
    >
    >

I don't know what makes this person the authority on knowing who was brought up right and who wasn't and not brought up right because they perfer jeans over a tux or a suit? I am bringing up my kid right. He is to polite sometimes (if that is possible but he is) but he prefers jeans instead of a suit. And I can confidently say he is being brought up right in every single way.

16. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Cole, I don't know why you continue your bitter attacks on me. I apologized to you. You said that you accepted it, then you post an entirely new thread with my name in the subject line, continuing the attack. (which, you will notice, has been removed by the moderator) I don't claim to be an authority on much of anything.
    You are interpreting words the way you want. Must everyone put "JUST KIDDING!" in their posts to avoid offending you? Improperly raised children is either a very touchy subject with you, or you are just too thin skinned. Not everything in these posts is directed at you. Please lighten up, as many other members have been suggesting, and unclinch!

Post Edited (04-22-04 15:14)

17. beccabt

beccabt Guest

=cheerleader

18. Yup....defintely time to put this one to rest! Jeez... I hope my fellow cruisers are alot more laid back.... no matter what they wear!!