• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ever used a Transderm Scop Patch on kids?

L

Lady Jag(Bobbie)

Can anyone tell me if they have used a Transderm Scopolamine Patch on kids for seasickness? I have a 10 yr. old that has been seasick in the past and was wondering if we can use the patch on him. I know the directions say "not for children", but so does Bonine and he's had a double dose of that before without any adverse affect.

We'll be cruising on a small ship in St. Thomas and I'm not sure if I should give him some kind of seasickness medicine or not. I don't know how he'll react to the motion of a yacht. Is it better to give him Bonine (or the Patch) and risk him being sleepy or only give it to him if he seems to have a problem with the movement?

On our last cruise, he wasn't sick at all. The cruise before that, he tossed his cookies. I'm not sure what to do here, so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks! :wave

S

seamom

I'd ask his doctor or at least the pharmacist to find out why children shouldn't take them. I took ginger capsules which the pharmacist said would have no ill effects and son loves candied ginger if that would have helped but none necessary.Poor guy.....hope there is something safe for him.

L

Lady Jag(Bobbie)

I told the doctor the patches would be for "our two sons and us" and he asked how old they were. I said, "They'll be 10 & 12." He stopped, thought for a moment and then wrote out the RX. He seemed a little hesitant, but I didn't ask further. I've read the entire instruction packet that came with the pills. Maybe I should call a pharmacist? I've looked on the web and couldn't find anything other than "for persons over 12". ???

S

seamom

Pharmacist is a good idea............from what I've heard they know far more about the actual drugs than the doctors and are up to date on what is the best. I have had doctors have to look up in books for medications........and how long did that book take to come out.......that's the best next step you could do.

L

Lisa P

Definitely ask the pharmacist - in some cases drugs that are ok for adults react differently in children and the elderly..........there is also non-drowsy dramamine available....works wonders.

K

Kathy Atkins

On my Transderm Scope Patch it said not to give to children under 12. I always use those when I cruise, and I give our daughter Bonine. But now she's fixin to be 13, next time we cruise I'll try the patch on her.

B

Barbarak

The drug in the patch is scopolomine and I would think tthe does is too for a child.
In my nursing drug book it says children 0.5mgs transdermal.
The patch is 1.5mgs
There a lots of motion sickness tablets your doctor could give you if the over the counter stuff doesn't work :eek:)
What about the Relief band? ( it is about $90 though)
I have bought one to try should we hit bad seas again!

M

MarieA

After reading about some of the side-effects some adults have suffered when using the patch I'd sure be careful - double vision that lasts for a couple days after removing the patch, horrible headaches, etc. - might be pretty scary for a 10 y/o if he does have a reaction.

P

paulfredo

I hope I don't sound judgemental, but there's no way I'd use the patch on children, in fact, I don't want any of my family members using it. We prefer to avoid meds period, if there's another alternative... and there is.

We use the Relief Band (not the elastic wrist bands, this is the electronic band that looks kind of like a watch) with the children and everyone in our family. It works, always, and has no side effects (except to my wallet when I bought it). But in spite of the price, I have no regrets, it's great protection, and we don't worry about motion sickness problems anymore, or where we are on the ship, none of that stuff. You can check it out at www.reliefband.com and see what you think.

paulfredo

L

Lady Jag(Bobbie)

Okay, so if the nursing book says .5 mgs for kids and the patch is 1.5 mgs (I checked and it is), then I don't think it would be a good idea to use it on my almost 10 yr. old son. SOOOO---I'll be looking for Ginger Trips and non-drowsy Dramamine!

Thanks so much for all the help everyone. I'll still call the pharmacist, but I feel pretty good about the advice you all have given. Thanks again! :cheers

J

Jeff

Lady Jag,
The Transderm-Scop patch is only for use in children over 12 years of age. However, I would use caution in any child aged 12-14 years of age who is smaller than average. The side effects of scopolamine can be worse in children such as dry mouth, hallucinations, blurred vision, and confusion. I would not recommend using this on your child. A non-drug preventative such as the relief band or more affordable Sea Band is preferred, however, if you don't want to use this or can't afford to then Dramamine(dimenhydrinate) is the preferred drug of choice. Bonine, which contains meclizine, (same as in non-drowsy Dramimine II) is in the same class, but it has not been studied in children. It can probably be used safely in children, there are just no studies on it. I would prefer it over scopolamine. I would stick with the 25mg dose though. You can also use ginger and vit B-6(12.5mg) to help with nausea. Hope this helps!!
Lisa Lawson, Pharm.D.
Pediatric pharmacist

C

crmjmdm

My son is 8 and he used these on the last 2 cruises we were on (first when he was 6 and then again when he was 7). He doctor said they aren't "tested" for children and that's why they aren't recommended. He then said he used them on all three of his own kids (his youngest being 8) and that convinced me. He did suggest cutting it in half though. I would say talk to your childs doctor and go from there.