Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Extra Charges on Amsterdam Cruise

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by Bill ..., Oct 28, 2002.

1. Bill ...

Bill ... Guest

We just returned frm the MS Amsterdam's 21 day Panama Canal Cruise. Now this was a really great cruise on a really beautiful ship BUT they added $16.80 each to our shipboard account to cover increased Panama Canal transit costs. Now $16.80 each does not beak the bank BUT we thought it was really in poor taste, particularly on a cruise were over 80% of the passengers were Mariner members. We talked to many passengers who were very mad about this.

Makes one wonder what they'll add to our shipboard account next time ...

2. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I'm sure if someone wanted to take the time to read every sentence in the cruise docs....it there in black and white they have the right to pass along additional fuel costs....and additional costs of transiting the Panama Canal.

I feel very bad for the pax who got themselves into such a snit about under $20 that they let it effect their cruise enough they felt the need to keep complaining about it!

IMO...good taste....poor taste.....It's business!

3. jeanoh

jeanoh Guest

I remember on a Costa cruise once, they added $4.80 pp for increased port charges at one of the ports. We were told that by law they have to charge the Pax. and can`t eat the charge...maybe, maybe not.....jean

4. Bill ...

Bill ... Guest

Nah, It didn't really spoil the cruise. It's just a little thing that kinda annoys ya. I'm sure it's covered there in the fine print if one takes the time to read all that stuff.

And ... it was a great cruise. My wife and I really enjoyed it. It was our 5th HAL cruise and we'll definately be back!

5. cantwait

cantwait Guest

I sailed on the Volendam in June, to Alask, and got a shipboard credit due to the port charges having decreased in one port (I can't remember which one). HAL could have easily kept the difference and I would not have known otherwise.

6. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

There have been law suits that cruise lines lost over port charges. They got some hefty penalties in thasecases....and it's good to hear they are no longer overcharging port charges.

But, wow.....port charge actually decreased HOT!