Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

First Cruise Dilemma--When $$$ is a factor

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by MrsT, Oct 20, 2004.

1. MrsT

MrsT Guest

Which would you rather do? Without going into a lot of detail, it will be our first cruise.
    Would like to go in May 2005, weather wouldn't be a problem, can't be worse than where I live--North Dakota! This wouldn't be a once in a lifetime trip, but just want to stay within our budget.

The May 3 Diamond Princess 4 night Alaska Sampler, where I've found online, the mini-suite, category AC cabins are going for just over $600 pp taxes, port charges included. The thrill of being on a newer, large ship sounds exciting--I'm sure I'd enjoy the sea days. There is only one stop in Alaska--Ketchikan, where we would book the float plane excursion (about $200 pp). The total cost of this vacation would be $1000-$1100.

Or do you think we would be better off booking a 7-night cheapest inside cabin on any Princess ship? I've seen prices as low as $600 pp. Having an inside cabin shouldn't be a problem as we like to visit with other people and have no problem being in the public areas of the ship. The ship would visit 3 or 4 ports and perhaps a day of scenic cruising. We could take in cheaper shore excursion at each ports. The total cost of this vacation would also be around $1000-$1100.

Anxious to see everyone's posts!

2. Beryl

Beryl Guest

If I had to choose I would go for the 7 night in a less expensive cabin! I would want to see as much of Alaska as I possibly could on my limited budget!

3. Yes I'd go for the longer one - inside cabin - no matter where you sailed. Good Luck! You'll have a wonderful time no matter what cabin you have!!!

4. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I'd choose the longer one too!

5. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

I would choose the longer one too..the more ports and scenery will more than make up for the rest..Good luck with choosing...:)..Joanne

6. DJA

DJA Guest

Convinced yet??

Take the longer one. A three or four-day cruise is not a good choice for your first cruise. If you're not particular about your cabin, take a minimum cabin guarantee, you may get pushed up into a better one.

Princess still has lots of options for "newer large ships", as a good chunk of their fleet still falls into that category.

7. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

longer one ......

check out :

smartcruiser.com

cheapertravel.com

i am finding some great rates on them

also kimkruises.com i booked with this site last year for my princess cruise and had a balcony cabin for 727.00 per person with a 200.00 shipboard credit

8. Kathy & Dave

Kathy & Dave Guest

Go for the longer cruise.

When we were on the Coral Princess, we booked the last balcony room on port side (I think it was Emerald deck). Anyway, there was a public balcony on that deck and a few others, that were easily accessible from the inside cabins in that area. There were several lounge chairs and a few tables w/chairs.

We could have saved $500-600/pp if we booked an inside cabin in the area and still had access to a nice "balcony" even if it wasn't totally "private"! It wouldn't hurt to ask around about some of the other ships to see if certian decks have a similar feature. The money you save on the cabin would pay for your excursions!

Good Luck!

9. LBcruiser

LBcruiser Guest

Longer one, hands down. You'd feel like you just got started on the short one and it'd be time to leave. Now that I've cruised 11 days it would be hard to go back to only 7; we always do cheap inside cabin to get the most bang for the buck and get the longest cruise possible. Princess has some great deals out there for longer cruises at great prices.

10. MrsT

MrsT Guest

Thanks everyone for your opinions....I'm convinced!

11. p.g.

p.g. Guest

Yeah, good for you, I too say longer is better, and as you can see you can shop around and get a better cabin than you think.Definately book a guarantee and hope( although don't count on) for an upgrade. We got an upgrade from a cat. K inside to a cat BA balcony cabin on our first Princess cruise!!!! That was a treat! Just don't count on it.

12. CruisinDude

CruisinDude Guest

if your room is $600pp thats $1,200 right there..added you $200 pp excursion puts you over $1,600 ..
    I just got off the brand new Caribbean Princess, 7 days, booked a beautiful aloha deck balcony for $1,550 for the both of us..a no brainer for me...

check out Kimskruises.com

life is a beach~

13. cruisegary

cruisegary Guest

p.s. You might want to check the ALASKA board. Lots of good information over there and I am sure everyone there would also say go for longer cruise.

14. stanleyd

stanleyd Guest

longer, longer, longer, you will love it!

15. Sea-soned1

Sea-soned1 Guest

You also might want to book the lowest form of oceanview cabin..............or a guarantee, if you are not particular about where you would be located. Often the lowest priced oceanview is just as, or more inexpensive than the highest interior cabin.
    Our first cruise to Alaska was in an oceanview cabin and it was great. We could hear the naturalist on the tv, and look outside, when we got tired of being outside and chilly. That was a seven day cruise.
    We took the Alaska sampler last year, for four days, and had a balcony. We tried to be outside, but it was chilly, and drizzly a couple of the days, so I agree with everyone else,..............book the seven day cruise!!! You'll love it, wherever your cabin is, and you'll find your "special places" on the ship that you enjoy.

16. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Longer one. You'll be flying all that way for such a short cruise. Might as well get in all the scenery and experience you can! :thumb

17. cruisegary

cruisegary Guest

Wow! Opinions are often diverse and sometimes opposites, but this is the most convincing one I have seen in a long time on this or any other board. Looks like longer is the answer.

18. Pilgrim Pete

Pilgrim Pete Guest

Plus, if you started in a mini suite on your first cruise how could you better that for your second without going overboard !