• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

First Upgrade !!!!

bikevegas

Just got an e-mail from Princess, received our first upgrade ever! Got upgraded from a balcony cabin to a deluxe balcony cabin on the Regal for our March cruise. We are Platinum members and booked through Princess for the first time, usually use one of the one of the on-line cruise agencies for booking. Just curious as to why we got the upgrade...Was it because of being a Platinum member? Booking through Princess? Or just our lucky day? Just curious as to why the upgrade? Comments anyone.......

Haven't cruised that much with Princess, but some things are true across all cruise lines. My guess is that it had nothing to do with your status with Princess. It is close to sail date. If you check prices, you will probably find that prices have dropped in an effort to fill remaining cabins. They typically move people from inside to oceanview and oceanview to balcony, etc, depending on what they think will resell more easily. It is easier to sell your standard balcony to a new booker than the higher priced deluxe balcony. You probably paid more to sail than you would have paid if you booked your original cabin today. It costs them nothing to move you up a little, and they can now resell your cabin. It's a win win situation for Princess.

Rather than wait for an upgrade call, we usually watch prices and when we see a price drop in a higher category to the same or below what we paid for our lower category, we will call them and ask for an upgrade. Sometimes they are free. Sometimes you can upsell yourself for very little $$. We once went from an aft facing balcony to an aft facing Penthouse Suite for a total of $180.

Keep an eye on prices. You may be able to do even better between now and sail date if you are proactive.

Last edited:

George C

Very hard to know, best upgrade I ever had was 1st cruise on Celebrity where we went from balcony to a beautiful aft Sky suite, had several upsells on Hal to suite but they were not free.

BruinSteve

I've never been able to figure out a rhyme or reason to it...
On Princess, we've always booked a cabin...and just stayed exactly there...Until this last cruise...
We were trying to do it "on the cheap", so we booked an "Inside"...but it was an inside guarantee--no assigned cabin. Did that to get the lowest price and because, to us, the view is the same no matter which inside cabin you're in...Somehow, we ended up getting assigned an unobstructed ocean view midship...But, we compared notes with others on our "roll call" (on another cruise message board site) that had booked the same exact thing we booked...and ALL of them ended up in exactly what they booked--an inside cabin...So, why us? We are now Platinum with Princess, but, at that point, we were only "Ruby"...One of the people who got an inside was "Elite"...

Actually, on 40 cruises or so, we've rarely been upgraded by anything substantial...The only true upgrades we've gotten were by booking guarantee rates on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean--where we've often been moved up SLIGHTLY--like from a balcony guarantee (guaranteeing you only the lowest category balcony cabin) and getting assigned a higher category--but STILL a balcony--just a better deck or more "midship"...

We have also been offered "upsells" on Oceania and on Princess...which we've turned down, except, I used it as an opportunity on Oceania--when offered an upsell from an inside to an oceanview for a still substantial price, I managed to negotiate an upgrade all the way to a Concierge balcony at an incredible rate...What cruise lines are willing to do is really based on how sales are going and remaining inventory...

OTOH, from my experience, just booking a lower cabin and wishing and hoping they will magically move you to a suite is likely just a dream...like dreaming about winning the Lotto...

My advice is to always book the category of cabin you WANT...but watch the rates...and if they drop, place a call...take the initiative...