Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Formal Nights

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by bwalla, May 21, 2004.

1. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Tom, it's only for a couple of hours. Tell him you want to get a family picture that night. Ask him to do it as a special favor for his mom. I'll bet he'll come through for you. Take him out and let him pick out a special tie.

2. ScottieB64

ScottieB64 Guest

Boy this is a mountain out of a mole hill if I ever seen one!

3. This topic is nothing...................

.................try bringing up the TOPS OPTIONAL subject again!

Talk about mountians................................. ;)

4. Tika

Tika Guest

This is a good informative thread! I hope folks understand that the cruise line they choose may have special "requirements for dress codes"! We have cruised on many ships some very formal some extremely casual. We knew when we booked what dress codes were expected and chose the cruise line, itinerary etc. with that in mind and how we wanted to spend our vacation. There are now so many wonderful choices of ships and itineraries!!!!!!!!!!! People who do not want to conform with a ship's specific dress code should pick a cruise that suits their personal preferences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is just no excuse with so many options available with alterative buffets or an alternative dining venue. Sometimes I like to dress to the nines and look forward to the ambaince of being on a ship, dining etc. with fellow cruise passengers that appreciate this type of elegance at sea. I respect & appreciate the service, staff, officers, etc . etc. that goes into presenting these wonderful memorable evenings on board. I am looking foward to our Carnival Miracle cruise in June and if the dress code states formal as Formal for two of the nights we most certainly will be pleased to comply! Going shopping tomorrow for that special "dress"! Hubby bought his Tux years ago and is so proud it still fits perfect............wish I could say the same LOL!

5. randy

randy Guest

It's easy to get whiplash on this board. Earlier this month, someone got the tar whacked out of him(?) for suggesting that sneakers and a polo shirt was not appropriate attire for formal night on a Carnival cruise, and now it seems that the majority of posters are more inclined to "dress the part." With 2000-plus passengers on each ship, I suspect that there are an equal number of opinions on this subject. For those people who are most comfortable blending with the majority of others on a particular ship, voyage, and evening it represents a very real conundrum to try and visualize such an eclectic mix of clothing despite a relatively clear-shall we say requested or required?-dress code for any particular evening. Social norms are in flux all over, and those who feel confident in their dress choices and convictions are welcome to express themselves however and wherever they see fit. Look at what people wear to church today, versus even ten years ago. Business casual (a term I am still trying to figure out!) has replaced the suit in the workplace, the number of restaurants that require coat and tie are in the decline, and air travelers in coat and tie are nearly extinct except for a cadre of business travelers. For a cruise today, I think that it boils down to:
    Here's what the cruise line suggests you wear--dark suit or tux. If you don't want to comply with the suggestion/request, wear what you like (or what you consider formal), as it is very unlikely you will be turned away at the dining room.

6. jlspence

jlspence Guest

During last year's cruise on the Inspiration, we insisted that our 15 year old dress up in a button down shirt, tie and slacks for formal nights. He hated it...right up to the point where the teen girls on the cruise told him he was HANDSOME. He kept the tie on the entire night on both formal nights and this year he's asked us to buy him new dress clothes, including a nice sport coat. :)

7. NewNCrusin

NewNCrusin Guest

I think the one thing that some people forget to consider when judging other people's choices of "formal" is where people are from, etc. Don't get me wrong-- I am thrilled about dressing up, as is my sister and the rest of my family. BUT I do have friends that a) probably don't own a suit or b) couldn't afford to go buy one if they wanted to right before going on a big trip. Someone said that its how you wear it and I think that is the most important point. NOT everyone can afford to go buy a suit or tux that they might never wear again. It's called reality. And just because of that it doesn't mean that those people should have to go eat pizza for dinner on the desk. Ok. off my soapbox!

8. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

I guess this is something like the people who dress so very casual in church, but if they were to visit the President, would not be caught dead not dressing up.

coffeecups

9. jedgar

jedgar Guest

NewNCrusin
    If your read the dress code for formal night the least that is acceptable for formal night is slacks shirt and tie. If one can not afford that then they can not afford to cruise.

Randy
    Carnival's dress code is posted twice on this thread and no where does it say the code is suggested or requested, it says it is required. Wil you be denied entrance to the dining room if you do not meet the requirements? maybe maybe not. I have seen people turned away or if they already were in, were asked to leave. I have also seen people allowed in with less than the requirement.

Some people say they can not get their teenager to wear a tie or get them to put on long pants, etc. If that is the case they should not be cruising they should be attending parenting classes because they have failed miserably at being a parent..

10. Cruisin Gal

Cruisin Gal Guest

Well, I agree with Jedger. Although I do believe that if someone can afford a cruise but can't afford the formal wear they can always go to a Thrift Store and pick up some formal wear that might just need cleaning or nothing at all for under a hundred bucks, I've seen some for $25 that are in excellent shape.

There's really no excuse. If you don't want to go formal, or feel you can't then don't go into the dining room on formal night...simple as that. You won't starve there are other places to dine...including your cabin.

The cruise line does reserve the right to not let you into the dining room and can ask you to leave...and I HAVE seen it done. I don't think it's worth taking the chance and being made a spectacle of during the rest of the cruise. Then again there are some people who crave attention, even if it's negative attention!

11. NewNCrusin

NewNCrusin Guest

I wasn't saying you should wear shorts and a tank top to dinner. My point that I was trying to make was that people just shouldn't be judgemental. What is acceptable to me and to you -- both of which probably fall under the written guidelines -- are going to be different. Yes, I am excited about slipping on my $12.99 formal dress that I found at a consignment shop but for some people my dress probably isn't dress enough, etc. The bottom line is that people should wear what looks nice and makes them happy. And stop worrying about everyone else. AND certainly shouldn't be judging others.

12. Cruisin Gal

Cruisin Gal Guest

I can understand what you're saying but Carnival sets the requirements. If your $12.99 formal dress or my $12.99 formal dress meets Carnival's formal requirements that's all that matters.

Some people might look nice in jeans and it might make them happy, but it's not for formal night in the dining room. If they can't get with the program...they should dine at the buffet. We're ALL paying for our cruise and we ALL want to enjoy the experience of the "dress for the evening"

I and many others I'm sure would be just as judgemental if people showed up at the pool in the nude. (Well some people might like it...but not many)

I also get judgemental when I'm at the dining table and someone pulls out a tissue or hankie and blows their nose at the table. I just can't help it.

13. I respect everyones opinion, it's what makes us responsible and considerate adults....BUT I do know one thing CRUISIN GAL.........When my husband and I attend our formal night dining and he is dressed in dark slacks and a dress shirt with NO tie (which he hates with a passion), I want you to come up to us and tell us to go "slop in the trough" somewhere else. I would pay money for it. And as far as telling someone at what you call "your" dining table that they are dressed inappropriately - that is not manners, that is down right rudeness !! YES< RUDENESS !!

I don't think you have a "high-society" problem, I think you have a prejudice problem !

Do us all a favor - book a cruise on the QM2 - We'd all be better off.

14. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

With all of this talk of formal nights, I thought I should add that anyone who wants to eat in the Point Restaurant, or whatever it is on your ship, should be aware that a coat and tie is "Required" (not suggested) for the gentlemen. When you go somewhere nice, you should dress accordingly. It makes the experience more enjoyable and more special. I love the formal nights, and think everyone should adhere to the dress code or..... dress in whatever they want to wear, and then eat somewhere other than the dining room. I agree with everyone who thinks that it spoils the atmosphere if you are dressed to the nines, and others come in with "comfortable" casual clothes. You can dress like that every other night of the cruise, but need to get in the spirit of the occasion on formal nights.

Go all out! You may find you enjoy it!:)

Post Edited (05-27-04 01:23)

15. bwalla

bwalla Guest

WOW!

I started this thread with just a simple question! I'm sorry I did. Can the moderator please shut this angry ^(#$@ session down?

Tom

16. Cruisin Gal

Cruisin Gal Guest

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't make Carnival's requirements and I don't think anyone here should be attacking anyone personally.

We're all entitled to our own opinions but it's not necessary to attack individuals just because we don't agree with their views.

I apologize if I've ruffled anyone's feathers.

17. ScottieB64

ScottieB64 Guest

All I got to say is I hope that I am never on a cruise with all you "high-falutin" people. If I wan't to come to dinner dressed in my overalls and boots (which I do wear to church and will be bringin on my cruise with me) I dare one of ya to come say something to my face about it. Like I posted earlier, this is a mountain that started off as a mole hill.

18. JudyKa

JudyKa Guest

Jeff, I think you and your co-heart look smashing!

People, people.......let's celebrate our differences! Life is too short to worry and argue about what other people are wearing.

I just know that I and my precious family will be dressed to the "nines" on our two formal nights just because we have a good reason and chance to do this.....also and lastly, because Carnival requests it. People that choose to do otherwise will not diminish my enjoyment of the occasion. Besides, I don't look at the clothes of a person.....I look at their ability to be considerate and just an all-around good person.

19. TomD

TomD Guest

Let's see... the first question was:
    "What is the real scoop on formal nights for dinner? Would a dark sports coat, slacks, and tie do the trick, or does it have to be a tux or dark suit? Thanks."

A polite question at that.

The real scoop is from Carnival FAQ's: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

"Is there a dress code for the dining room?
    Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. "

I just asked how to get my teenager to comply with the rules. The answer to that was simple:

"During last year's cruise on the Inspiration, we insisted that our 15 year old dress up in a button down shirt, tie and slacks for formal nights. He hated it...right up to the point where the teen girls on the cruise told him he was HANDSOME. He kept the tie on the entire night on both formal nights and this year he's asked us to buy him new dress clothes, including a nice sport coat. :)"

Weather he agrees or not, he will comply. With us it's not the cost, it's a teenager's attitude. If he goes to the formal, he will wear a tie.

Now, let's not start a fight, that's what God gave us children for!

I will be formal, suit that is, not a tux. My son will wear a tie. With or without it, I'm sure the girls on the boat will still adore him. He doesn't really see what he wears, I don't see what I wear. It is everyone else in the room that see us. We don't dress up for ourselves we dress up for others.

Tom

20. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

LOL, Scottie, :)
    I do hope you are making a joke about overalls and boots on the cruise. I would think that type of attire would be hot and uncomfortable on a cruise ship. It doesn't fit the definition of "resort casual" for sure :)

And Cruisin Gal, I have to agree with you that no one should be attacked personally on here when all we try to do is answer someone's question in the best way we can. When someone asks about formal dress required on the cruise, I should think that they really want an honest answer. If not they should not ask. If someone has already made up his or her mind that they will not dress for formal night,,,so be it. No problem mon!! As Carnival states, there is plenty of alternative dining to be found on the ship.
    No need to get riled up if you don't want to dress up. You certainly won't starve.