Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Formal Nights

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by Jacklyn, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Right, Amy. That's why they have alternate dining (Lido buffet). If people don't choose to follow the guidelines, they should have dinner in the more casual buffet area. I'm sorry to hear that about the Glory - people allowed into the dining room in jeans and ...uh...shorts? Sure, it's fine for breakfast or lunch, but dinner? I think the Maitre 'd wasn't doing his job.

2. RosieRosie

RosieRosie Guest

We enjoy dressing up on formal night. My hubby usually rents a tux (so he doesn't have to pack a suit). I wear a cocktail dress or a long gown. After dinner we go dancing. I guess you could say it's our "prom" night! Being on a cruise is very special for us so dressing up just seems natural.

3. LF

LF Guest

I understand that many people like to dress up, but it appears as though there are just as many that don't like to.

My question is this: Why should those who choose not to dress up have to be relegated to the buffet? Why should they not be able to enjoy the same dinner menu in the dining room as everyone else? We've all paid for the same cruise have we not? Everyone should be afforded the same luxeries.

I don't feel that because I am wearing a gown I should be allowed to eat lobster while someone else who chooses to wear shorts should have to eat a burger.

The cruise lines need to make some changes. Maybe make one dinner sitting informal?

4. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

LF, originall the idea of formal night comes from the old days when only the rich and famous sailed the seven seas. People years ago, OFTEN dressed up. (just FIFTY years ago people wore suits, hats and finery to church on Sunday) The custom has varied into something like one of the other ship ACTIVITIES although many people may not realize it. It really is an activity for those who like to dress up, as in years past and also done on other cruise lines. Many people seem to think that this is a unfair carnival thing, but actually it did not start with carrnval. I would bet that especially the people on Queen Mary II dress up for the restuarant.

Now to relax those who do not like to dress up, carnival does not always (maybe almost never) demands complete adherence to formal night. I and many others on this board have seen many situations where the rules have not be enforced, not even for the person wearing blue jeans.

Sometimes I find it comical that in the past some people have complained about formal night and carnival with its dress code. They fail to realize that carnival is perhaps the LEAST RESISTRIVE on formal night dress code of all cruise lines.

Sorry if I offend anyone because I know that this is a hot potato sbject and offending is not something I want to do.

Happy cruising!!!!!

coffeecups

5. LF

LF Guest

No offense taken coffeecups. I am am fully aware that the "dressing for dinner" is a policy on most cruise lines, not just Carnival. I am not sure if I led you to believe that I thought it was strictly Carnival, but my statement that "Cruise Lines need to make changes" was meant for all cruise lines not just Carnival.

I think it is time for all cruise lines to make changes to accomodate all of their customers.

6. Amy2005

Amy2005 Guest

LF, It still wouldn't be fair would it?? I mean, then those who like to dress up could eat Lobster TWO nights instead of just one. :) I'm going on a 4 day cruise and there is ONLY ONE formal night. I think i agree with coffeecups. . . formal night is an activity just like any other. If you WANT to do it, fine and if not, fine. Nobody is forced to participate in ANY activity. . . at least i hope not. :grin

Of course, i've never been on a cruise so i don't know exactly what you'd be missing if you chose not to go to dinner on formal night. Is it THAT much better on formal night than on other nights? if not, then its not much of a big deal. Eat buffet ONE night (if you don't want to dress up). I might eat buffet one night myself. . . who knows! I'm going to try not to sweat the small stuff.

7. LF

LF Guest

I think you misunderstood me Amy2005.

I used lobster simply as an example and I am not saying that lobster should be served 2 nights on a cruise. I am talking about making one of the seatings 6:00, 6:15, 8:00, 815 a non-formal seating each night. (NOT JUST FORMAL NIGHT).

Yes, going to formal night is an "event", but why should you be forced to eat at the buffet each night because you want to wear shorts to dinner? There is a dress code for dinner each night, not just formal.

No, I don't think that dinner is that much better on formal night. I am saying that instead of being "forced" to dress up those who choose not to should be afforded the same menu EACH and EVERY night as those who do choose to dress up.

It's quite simple. Just make one dinner time seating in the dining room a non-formal or non-dressed seating each night. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy the menu equally.

8. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

LF, my observation that some people think that formal night came from carnival comes from previous postings during the past year that I have been on this board.

That's a really nifty idea about an extra sitting for the non-formal dressers. Only thing needed is enough people pushing for it and how many meals can they fit in a day. Personally, I just wear a suit and enjoy the meal.

Know you will have a fabulous cruise!!

coffeecups

9. LF

LF Guest

Coffee,

I have no idea if the idea of a non-formal seating each night would work, but it would be an option right? Maybe if more people suggested it some cruiselines would give it a try?

I just think it would afford fairness to all. If a person opted not to dress up and not to do the "non-formal seating" designated time then they would have to eat at the buffet. At least they could have the choice.

We are going to formal night! I already have my dress and DH is bringing a suit! I would just like to see some fairness for everyone. We have some friends that love to cruise, but the DH absolutely HATES dressing up. They want us to cruise with them, but I don't want the how to dress issue to be a problem!

Thanks we will have a good time...we are cruising in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!

10. Amy2005

Amy2005 Guest

I guess having a "non-formal" dinner seating time would be an option. Say about 5:45 seating. That way, parents with children wouldn't have to dress everyone up to eat at dinner. ?? And night time is more of an elegant time anyway. Of course, then you'd probably have people complaining about the time they chose to make the "non-formal" seating. Can't please everybody. But I know how you feel about the people in your party not liking to dress up. I got one if not 2 in my party that don't like to dress up. One being my dad. But when he complained i told him he didn't have to dress up to eat, he can eat buffet. :) You know. . . i don't think i've heard a complaint since. :) Of course, if the only thing you have to worry about on your cruise is dressing up. . .sounds like a good cruise to me!

11. Zolo

Zolo Guest

From the cruises I have been on, a cocktail dress for the ladies and a suit or a jacket tie and dress pants for the men will be fine on formal night.

So many of the formal night devotees, make it sound like you have to be dressed for the Oscars or something. And that is great if that is what you enjoy.

But a gentleman in a nice suit and a lady in a nice cocktail style dress will fit in beautifully.