Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Freedom of the Seas

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by Lonpalm, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Lonpalm

Lonpalm Guest

Fast Facts for Freedom of the Seas

-- 158,000 GRT -- 1,112 feet long
    -- 184 feet wide -- 28 feet draft
    -- 21.6 knots cruising speed -- 15 passenger decks
    -- 3,600 guests double occupancy -- 4,370 guests total occupancy
    -- 1,800 guest staterooms -- 1,360 crew
    Source: Royal Caribbean International

This says that the beam will be 184. Now wheather this is to the bridge wings or the actual beam, I don't know. But, it will still be wider than the voyager class.

2. Roland

Roland Guest

AJ, Freedom will have the same beam as the Voyager class.

3. Ashley

Ashley Guest

Freedom is going to be huge! I hope I get a chance to sail on her just for curiosity. For me, Voyager was about as big as I could handle. I had a hard time figuring out which way I was pointing half the time (when the ship wasn't moving of course ;) ) I did have a good time, though. I do prefer the Radiance class which I believe to be perfect in every way! But loving the Radiance class does make me ever so biased....I can't wait until we see and hear more about Freedom!

Serenade of the Seas, Alaska, July 4th, 2004
    Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, June 28th, 2003
    Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean, December 2002
    World Renaissance, Greek Islands, March 2002

4. Merc

Merc Guest

Does anyone know when they will be booking for the Freedom of the Seas? and what the ports will be?

Deb

Mariner of the seas: Eastern Carib 5/1/05

5. Roland

Roland Guest

Bookings start in the spring and she will be doing Eastern & Western Caribbean sailings.

6. Searcher

Searcher Guest

Merc Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Does anyone know when they will be booking for the
    > Freedom of the Seas? and what the ports will be?
    >
    > Deb

She is going to do the old Enchantment run from what I have read, 7 days East, 7 days West.

7. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Still, it is way too big!!! Do you even feel you are at sea? Why go on a cruise if you don't know you are at sea? Why do you need to go to sea to do things you can do on land (rock climbing, ice skating.) Why go with 4,000 of your closest and dearest friends........give me a smaller and more intimate ship!!!!!!!! Sure hope this is not the wave of the future - where would it leave those of us who prefer a more intimate experience in a mid price cruise line?

8. bicker

bicker Guest

Lisa, I felt much-too-much like I was "at sea" on Majesty! :p

I go on a cruise to visit multiple places in a week without having to repack my luggage. I also go on a cruise as a means of making myself unavailable to work.

I think that as long as there is a market for the smaller ships, and for more traditional cruises, someone will provide that service. It may not, however, be RCI, at least not under that brand. However, you're trying to impose two criteria: the specification of the service AND the price-point. That's not how business works. Rather, the two are balanced against each other, placed in the contexts of artifacts of the market such as demand and economies of scale. What that means is that, given your preferred specification of service, the price at which it will be offered is going to be based on how many people actually share your preferences, and how much companies can capitalize on high demand to lower costs. The more people who share your preferences, the more likely it is you'll get both your traditional cruising experience AND the "mid-price".

From what I've read, it seems that the RCI brand is serving two masters right now: the traditional cruiser, a relatively stable market, which alone cannot justify the lower prices being charged now as compared to years-past, and the new cruiser, a growing market, which is coming into its own as the dominant market in the industry. While, for year, it seems clear that the traditional cruiser has benefited from the traditional trappings that have been preserved aboard RCI ships, while the fare has been reduced over time due to increased demand for the cruise product, attributable to the growth of the new cruiser market. However, at some point, that dynamic will reach a threshold where the new cruiser market is big-enough on its own, and some suppliers will realize they can better serve that new cruiser market by not deferring any of the product specifications to that of the traditional cruiser.

And that's why Celebrity is the key to this: That's where RCI will satisfy the traditional cruiser market, but, as you may note, at a price more commensurate with the size of that market, without the price-support afforded by sharing the service specification with the new cruiser market.

9. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Bicker - your points are well taken...and I knew the truth in some of them before they were put in print. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for the cruise I want.....however, I still feel that marketing and going "bigger and bigger" is going to lose the whole charm of cruising. If some cruise lines feel that this is where the money lies, more power to them. I think after the Enchantment next fall I will be sticking with Princess and maybe trying HAL (and Crystal as their single supplements are outstanding) - they have ships of all sizes and doing many different itineraries.......none to the exclusion of the other. And Princess seem to be doing very well at it. Yes, most of their newer ships are bigger and have many features that are not essntial (in my mind) to a cruise, but in the last two years they bought two of the old Renaissance ships and still have the Sun class and the Regal Princess. None of these ships do less than 7 day cruises (except for some special west coast repo cruises). In general, these two companies seem to be able to meet the needs of the newer cruisers and the veterans without crossing the territory into the luxury (and unaffordable to me) market.

10. bicker

bicker Guest

I checked out RCI, NCL, HAL and Carnival, and it was RCI that attracted my attention. I'll let you know in February, but based on the Majesty OTS cruise, I really think bigger is going to be much much better for me.

I was a bit hampered by a broken toe, but I still managed to walk the decks on-board so much that it became overly repetitive. The ship was just too small, for me, and I'm really looking forward to the additional space on Serenade OTS.

I was relatively unimpressed with the health club on Majesty OTS; it was small and it seemed that there would be competition for the best equipment during prime time. The photos of the health clubs I've seen from the larger ships seem to have so many more pieces of equipment. I can just imagine how many more choices they'll offer on Freedom OTS.

I also love the idea of an adults-only pool area. Having two different pool areas seems to foster a wild one and a quiet one, and being the kind of person who prefers the latter, I think I'll be much happier in the Solarium than on the party pool deck.

11. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

I agree, having been on the Fantasy , Fasciantion, and Grand Princess, I enjoy the larger ships, even on a 3 day cruise the carnival ships were so small by day 2 we were bored,,, 7 days in the grand was great so large so many bars and places to explore, I am very much looking to my first Rccl cruise in may, my second one in december of 05 on the enchanment after the lengthening, and while on my may RCCL cruise i am looking forward to booking the freedom of the seas cruise for 2006