Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Geez, why are RCI prices so much higher than Carnivals?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by luv2travel2, May 13, 2003.

1. luv2travel2

luv2travel2 Guest

I keep getting emails from Carnival with prices frm $299.00-$349.00 for 4-7 day cruises why doesn't RCI have any deals like that?

2. Nessie

Nessie Guest

They do on and off...just have to watch for them. I prefer RCL above Carnival anyway so the difference in price is worth it to me. JMHO

3. Ali

Ali Guest

As Nessie said they do, just have to watch for them. I'm with her though! No matter what Carnival is charging, I would still go on the identical itinerary from RCI paying a higher rate, but that's just me. :grin

4. thulewx

thulewx Guest

7 day out of Galveston on the Rhapsody, 14 Sept - starts at $499... I'm there!!

5. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

I get e-mails alot offing the same deals on RCCL. You just need to surf around and find them. I'm with Ali and Nessie. I would spend the extra and sail on RCCL given the choice.

Laurie :wave

6. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

Another good point on the Bahamas sailing is that Carnival goes to Nassau and parks for 24 hours. RCCL stays at Nassau all day then sails to their private island for a fantastic beach day. The extra port is WELL worth it.

7. Been on both, not much difference between the two, R.C. ships are a little more elegant but my vote goes to Carnival for activities & food.
    Doug

8. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

I agree about paying more for RCI. JMHO

9. luv2travel2

luv2travel2 Guest

I guess my question is, if both lines are so similar than why is Carnival so much cheaper?

10. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

luv2travel2, as we said they are not. When checking same type cabins for same date they are about the same. Also they both have specials for $199.99 and up. The lower price cabins for the short cruises are also for bunk beds not regular twins. So the cabin is smaller. We were just saying that even IF the price was higher on RCCL we would still pay it . But the fact is I see RCCL ads all over the place for $199.99 and up for 3 and 4 night cruises and $399.99 for 7 .

11. Searcher

Searcher Guest

luv2travel2 wrote:

> I guess my question is, if both lines are so similar than why
    > is Carnival so much cheaper?

Was reading this thread and am now totally lost. I also would pay extra to do the same route on a RCCL ship but that statement in no way means that the lines are "similiar". :)

Think of making a long trip in a level entry Cavalier and making the same trip in a loaded Pontiac and as stated, look for the deals. They are out there but not as many.

12. luv2travel2

luv2travel2 Guest

Sorry don't mean to confuse anyone. It's just that I've read on this board and other boards from people stating that both lines are similar and if thats the case I always see Carnival being alot cheaper than RCI. I haven't seen any cruises for $199.00 or $399.00 for RCI but I will keep checking....As that is the next family cruise I would like to take.(including my parents)

13. Ali

Ali Guest

The reason could also be that Carnival has more empty cabins and they are offering the cruises at a discounted rate. Keep checking some of the online sites for cruises. You can sign up for the specials on most of the sites and they will email them to you.

Good Luck with your search. Family cruises can be a lot of fun!

14. JaCar

JaCar Guest

I also think that it is because Carnival is larger so they can do that. I would take RCCL over Carnival any day also, this is just my taste>

15. Petert

Petert Guest

Carnival and Royal Caribbean arein direct competition for the mass market cruiser, but have differentiated their product to appeal to different segments of the cruise market. Both cruise lines have many cabins to fill and must be competetive, price wise, to fill enough bunks on each sailing to turn a profit. I follow the pricing of their Mexican Riviera cruises pretty closely and find that they are very competetive, particularly when the sailing dates get close.

Carnival has a larger standard stateroom size, and has a more contemporary decor. RCI has much nicer theater,and dining room facilities with a more luxurious feel. Food and service are comparable. Carnival's lounge entertainment may be oriented more towards the younger cruisers. We are among the older cruisers and have sailed with both cruise lines, and enjoyed both products. We prefer RCI and might pay a small premium, but haven't found it necessary.

Peter

16. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

If you'd like, maybe I can help. Let me know where and when you want to sail. I'll do some comparing and let you know. I have sailed 4 Carnivals and 4 Royal Caribbeans....my pick is still Royal Caribbean. Since this is what I do for a living, I think I could get you the best prices and then give you an objective opinion as to which I would suggest. my e mail is mbandy@cruise addicts.com. Good luck.

Michael Bandy
    Cruise Sales Agent
    Expedia.com

17. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

I had mentioned before that there are deals out there for RCCL. I found 1 on mytravelco.com it is on their home page and it is for the Majesty of the seas for 4 nights @$199.99 inside and for alittle more you can get an outside. Just to give you an example and a place to look. Hope this helps.

18. luv2travel2

luv2travel2 Guest

Michael Bandy- thanks I will take you up on that once I have an idea on what ship and itinerary.

ljeanbrown- I just looked over at mytravelco and I did not see anything for $199.00 on RCI (unless they are finished promoting that offer)

Anyway, thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!

19. Dick & Linda

Dick & Linda Guest

Why does it cost more at a Hilton or Hyatt than at a Motel 6? You get what you pay for. RCCL is just a cut above. If Motel 6 and Carnival are what you want or looking for, great. If you want a little more, you have that option with RCCL.

20. Dick & Linda,
    Guess you have never been on Carnival.
    Doug