• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Getting Hair Braided

D

Debbie

We are going on the Triumph July 21st. Our stops are San Juan (evening), St. Thomas--we plan on going over to Trunk Bay and then the last port St. Criox. Can anyone tell me where the best place to get my daughter's hair braided? If you can believe this--that is what she is looking forward to the most!
Thanks
Debbie

A

Anna B

Wherever you do it, just make sure you settle on a price before you let them start braiding. My granddaughter ended up with $40.00 worth of braids.

B

Bensley's

Also take your own comb. Sometimes these combs are not cleaned well enough or at all, and your daughter could end up with lice.

D

DisneyBlonde

Someone metioned paying the extra money and having it done on the ship. Not as 'exotic', but usually a better braid. I had a single braid done once at a resort in St Maartin and it was excellent, lasted till my hair grew out and loosened it(several months), and I had one done right off the ship, near the dock, also in St Maartin, I believe, that started falling apart before the cruise was over.

Diz

L

Lady Jag

Just be careful - some people's ideas of 'clean' may not be the same as your idea of 'clean'.

R

Raven

Either St. Thomas or St. Croix should be your best bets. I'd just let your daughter pick who she wants to do the braiding. Over the years, our youngest daughter had her hair braided on the dock in the Bahamas, on a busy sidewalk in Cancun, and on Roatan. She said those will always be a special memory for her, because of the places and that she picked who she wanted to do it and what type of beads she wanted braided in. I can't blame her - getting your hair braided under a huge tropical tree on a perfect beach by the blue ocean on an island you never heard of before (Roatan) by a friendly local woman does tend to make wonderful memories for a teenage girl. If that's what your daughter is looking forward to most, then her getting to pick the time, place and style will make it even more special.

C

Cruz'n_Carol

Buy some spray leave in sun screen for hair. My daughter burned her scalp bad after she had her hair braided the first time. Now she always packs the spray.

L

Lyn

Hi Debbie,
My daughter has had her hair braided 3 times on cruises (Costa Rica, Cozumel and St. Maarten) and she also thought it was the best part of her trips. The braids seemed to be the same wherever we went, but one time, as we'd agreed to a price before hand, the lady just made the braids fatter to get done quicker (my daughter has long thick hair). That being said after reading and thinking more about the lack of clean combs etc. I decided she wasn't going to get it done this March when we cruised. She was very upset with me but I made an appointment for her to get it done, in a salon, when we got home. The lady did a wonderful job and used extensions, which kept it in longer and it cost about the same as the islands. Something to consider doing before the cruise, that's what she's going to do before we go again in December.
Lyn

G

Gayle V

You can have her hair braided on the island AND avoid the possiblity of creepy crawlers. Before you leave on the cruise buy one of the head lice shampoos that state they prevent reinfestation in addition to killing lice. Be sure to read the box, they are not all the same. Have your daughter use it the morning before she gets the braids. I'd still suggest taking your own comb but anyone whose been handling hair with lice in it may have the nits or lice on themselves and could pass them on anyway.

M

Mandi

I think it's overkill to take a lice shampoo. The chemicals in those products are very harsh. Never put them on a child's head for preventative reasons. Take your own combs, brushes and you'll be fine. Lice need a warm host. The braider cannot pass them on simply by touching her hair. If your tools are clean, your daughter will remain clean. Don't subject her to unnecessary chemicals.