Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Got room # w/ BookModify - over the dance floor??

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by LeanneR, Aug 28, 2004.

1. LeanneR

LeanneR Guest

We booked a balcony guarantee - been checking BookModify every few days and today finally got a cabin #. We are #6298 on Destiny. This appears to be right across the hall from the 'night owl' rooms and almost over the dance floor. An upgrade would have been welcome, certainly, and I understand it could still happen, but I'm not counting on it. I am a tiny bit concerned about the noise, though. Anybody have experience with this part of the ship? Should I be concerned? Should I try to change to a specific cabin #?

2. NewCruzer

NewCruzer Guest

If you've been assigned a cabin from a 'guarantee', then they're not going to change it. Under Carnival's new policy of assigning cabins early, if they were going to change it they simply wouldn't have assigned it yet.
    So, I suspect your ability to change cabins will depend on any remaining availability on your ship/itinerary, and you're willingness to pay the difference in cost -- if any -- between your current booking and whatever cabin you request.

3. serene56

serene56 Guest

yep-- you are stuck in that cabin. If there are cabins available in a higher category you may offer your agent the difference in order to move. But cabins are kinda soundpoof today so I dont think you would have to worry.
    On the Victory we had cabin 6440 over the lounge and didnt hear a sound all week.

I do have to ask---how are you across the hall from the night owl cabins? Your deck is ALL cabins.

4. Cactuscruise

Cactuscruise Guest

The cabins are not soundproof, not even close. I had a cabin over the cabaret lounge on the Glory. The very first night you could hear the sing-alongs quite clearly, the piano player was very good. No big deal, by the second night you didn't pay much attention to it, by the third night we were in the cabaret lounge singing along.

Also, even though you have your "guarantee" cabin number, it can still be changed by your sail date. I've booked four cruises with bacony guarantees. On one the room number given to us in our documents had been changed to a higher deck by the time we got to the pier and on another the room remained the same. With the two others our luggage tags and docs read "TBA" and we were given the room numbers at the pier. I find the surprise part of the fun. No need to stress over the location of the room, that's why I take the guarantees. You know the worst you can get id=s what you asked for. I can save a little money to use for something else, like my bar bill.

I just relax and go with the flow. It makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

5. LeanneR

LeanneR Guest

serene56, my comment about the cabins is based on having read somewhere that the interior cabins on Destiny that are over the dance club are sold by Carnival as 'night owl cabins'. They are sold at a much lower price because the music is quite loud well into the early morning hours. I am hoping that it isn't too loud where we are going to be, but we'll just wait and see, I suppose.

I'm going with the attitude that any day on a cruise is a good day - I'm sure we'll have fun regardless. :)

6. NewCruzer

NewCruzer Guest

Cactuscruise Wrote:
    >
    > Also, even though you have your "guarantee" cabin
    > number, it can still be changed by your sail date.
    > I've booked four cruises with bacony guarantees.
    > On one the room number given to us in our
    > documents had been changed to a higher deck by the
    > time we got to the pier and on another the room
    > remained the same. With the two others our
    > luggage tags and docs read "TBA" and we were given
    > the room numbers at the pier.

That's the way Carnival USED TO do it. But, their policy changed earlier this month. Now, they assign cabins 7-8 weeks out, or whenever a ship is deemed fully booked (by the way, my TA confirmed this with a Carnival source, after we'd been placed in a cabin 59 days out). Carnival, apparently, was the last holdout among cruise lines to do this -- so, now it's universal practice in the industry.

7. serene56

serene56 Guest

I still waiting for my cabin assignment--its now 53 days and still not assigned.

Once cabin is assigned there is no more going to the pier to find out your cabin.

The Victory is the same class ship as the Destiny. I thought the nightowls cabins were only in the older ships like the Fantasy class ships. like i said--we were ontop of a lounge on the Victory and didnt hear anything all week, Good luck to you.
    When did you book your cruise? am wondering how they determined to put you there.

8. LeanneR

LeanneR Guest

Thanks NewCruzer for that information.

Serene56, we booked ours in May, so 5 months ahead. We got exactly the category we booked. DH really thought we would get an upgrade because he in convinced that we were booked 'so far ahead'. :lol He still doesn't believe me when I tell him that some people book over a year ahead. :roll

My understanding of the 'night owl' rooms is that they were a design flaw on the Destiny. Those rooms do not exist on Triumph and Victory. If you have a Carnival brochure, compare at the layout of the 'Upper' deck(Deck 6). There is a cluster of interior staterooms toward the back of the ship that are missing on the Triumph and Victory deck plan. There are a few other changes between Destiny and her two 'sister' ships - from Deck 10 and up they are different. Destiny has 12 passenger decks while Triumph and Victory have 13. The top deck is numbered '14', but there is no deck 13.
    I'm glad to hear you didn't have a problem with noise from the lounge on the Victory, hopefully we will be as lucky. :) Hope you get your room assignment soon, and I hope it's a great one! We are now 48 days out, and just got ours assigned a few days ago, so hopefully yours will be soon as well. :)

9. serene56

serene56 Guest

Leanne: you can tell your husband that I book my cruises OVER a year ahead of time. For me--it does save a lot of money. We booked Our February Miracle last December at 807 for an 8I. If you price that today you will see the price has doubled.

I booked a cruise to nowhere that leaves in Oct last Dec and paid for it in full at that time. See, I thought that the earlier I booked-- the earlier I paid the better the upgrade I will get.

Upgrades work in a manner that I dont think real people like you and I will ever understand. People pay all different amounts for the same category cabin. Take 10 people who booked that gaurantee that you did....whoever paid more then you did---will get the better upgrade. The cruise to nowhere was selling for over 500 pp for an inside cabin. I paid 282 for an oceanview. So I think those people who got inside cabins and paid more for their room then I did-- wil get upgraded to balconies before I do. I have to wait and see. But it will be the last time I book a gaurantee.

PS- what is the price of that cabin today?> If it went down any--get a cabin credit or ask to be moved to a different category.

10. Kim1319

Kim1319 Guest

is anyone having problems with the Carnival site, using the BookModify method? I've been trying everyday to see if I get a cabin assignment yet. But now today I went to check and its not working. I get an error message by Carnival :(

11. serene56

serene56 Guest

Because of the hurricane I think the web page is down. Carnival is based out of Miami. Give it a few days and it should be up and running. I hope to have my cabin soon.

12. Kim1319

Kim1319 Guest

okay, thanks Serene. You're cruising about 20 days before me I think. Hopefully you'll get your room assigned soon. I'm trying not to get too excited. I think when its about 30days is when I'll start getting anxious to see a cabin listed. And by golly this method better still be working by then! LOL. :]

13. serene56

serene56 Guest

I am going on a cruise to nowhere on the Legend. I dont think cruise rules apply to us-- Final payment was made at 60 days out. and once you made a deposit and canceled we lose the deposit no matter when the cruise was booked. We also were charged tips before final payment. Today is 7 weeks and nothing. Im blaiming it on the hurricane and see what happens next week.

Did I ever tell you the Sensation is my favorite ship

14. TooExcited

TooExcited Guest

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.....We are scheduled to sail on Sept. 19, and booked a balcony guarantee. We got assigned room 4208 with our docs, and now it has changed to 8205. If they need to, or they can, they can and will still change staterooms numbers.

15. serene56

serene56 Guest

where did yit change ? on the modify pages? thats the area it will not change.

16. TooExcited

TooExcited Guest

No...I checked it with the gift purchase method. I also mispoke in my last messgae. I WAS in 8205 and then changed to 4208. DOWNGRADED. I have since upgraded my stateroom to a higher deck with extended balcony. For what it cost, It was worth it. I am not liking the whole guarantee thing. I like knowing what I am getting and I am a little spoiled in that I don't want to be on the lowest deck in my catagory.

17. serene56

serene56 Guest

This will be my last gaurantee. I like knowing where I am going to be. Not a big deal to a lot of people. I did that gift buying too. Found my cabin 4 different times and each time they moved me. FIrst time I was in cabin 1101. right next to the show lounge . I was sooo upset but found I was moved a few days later so I was happy again. THen I got moved again and again. I stopped looiking using that method.

You upgraded yourself??

I took an oceanview gaurantee. Booked over a year ago and paid in full at that time. Thought that since I am booking so far in advance my chances of an upgrade were higher. I also booked oceanview since there is only one deck of those cabins available. I paid a very cheap price for our cabin compared to over 50% that are cruising with me who paid double. Those people will get upgraded before me. (damn- so much for my therories...lol)

But finding your cabin number using the gift program-- I wouldnt count on that at all.

Did you get your documents>?

18. NewCruzer

NewCruzer Guest

I believe the trick to booking 'guarantee' is to book that guarantee at the lowest category you'll be happy with. We saved substantially booking a simple 'Ocean View' guarantee, even under what we would have paid for the lowest ocean view cabin. If we had not been upgraded at all, we still would have saved money and been happy. Because we wound up with a 3-category upgrade, we paid about 50% of the last listed price for the cabin we received. We booked through one of the larger cruises-only agencies that send a lot of customers to Carnival (and the others). I figure that helped, too.

19. Kim1319

Kim1319 Guest

Thats what we did too New Cruzer, or well, I mean we also booked an OV GTY. meaning we will be happy with a OV on the Riviera. Hoping we don't get that, but if we do oh well no biggy. I just wanted a window. And now I'm hoping this BookModify method will work again soon. But I don't know, I wonder if Carnival caught on

20. NewCruzer

NewCruzer Guest

Kim1319 Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > And now I'm hoping this
    > BookModify method will work again soon. But I
    > don't know, I wonder if Carnival caught on
    >
    >
    > Sensation in...

Try this, it seems to work, at least some of the time:
    In another browser tab, log onto your "My Reservation" page, then click on the link below right here in this message:

http://www.carnival.com/BookModify.aspx

Don't know why it works, but it seems to.