• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gratuities in Person vs Automatic

C

Cruzman

I strongly prefer to handle gratuities on a personal level, giving out tip envelopes on the last night of the cruise. Automatic tipping is way to impersonal for me. I like to see the look on someone's face when they are rewarded for a job well done. Will there be a lot of red tape involved in having automatic gratuities removed from my onbard account so that I can handle them personally?

S

sail7seas

Word is that you will only need to go to the front office and ask that automatic tips be removed from your account.

I would think it proper and correct for them to inquire why you do not wish to have the stewards tipped. If you have been encountering inferior service, this is the opportunity for them to "do something about it". To return home and then complain about the service that did not please you, does no one any good. Your vacation is over and you are unhappy; they were not given the chance to improve. If they don't know; they cannot fix it.

So....unless you truly have a "bad service" issue then I suppose you will feel like a cheapskate by responding that "you wish to tip independently". Some folks might (silently, to themselves) think. Yah.....sure!!!

If you truly wish to tip independently, you are certainly free to extend a tip personally to anyone you wish in addition to what is a quite moderate "automatic tipping" amount.

Just my personal view on the matter.......

S

seashell

sail7seas wrote:
>
> So....unless you truly have a "bad service" issue then I
> suppose you will feel like a cheapskate by responding that "you
> wish to tip independently". Some folks might (silently, to
> themselves) think. Yah.....sure!!!
>
> If you truly wish to tip independently, you are certainly free
> to extend a tip personally to anyone you wish in addition to
> what is a quite moderate "automatic tipping" amount.
>
> Just my personal view on the matter.......
>
I spoke to some crew members and was told this was going to be an option. If one decides to tip independently, it should not be implied they are a cheapskate.

I think it is no one's business but yours how you choose to tip. Tipping independently is ok in my book.

Just my personal view.

S

Southbound

SEASHELL:

Agree 100%. IOHO, part of the pleasure of giving is the opportunity to personally express one's appreciation and to see the reaction and smile on the face of the recipient. We'll stick with the cash-in-the-envelope method accompanied with a hug/handshake and a sincere thank you.

L

ljeanbrown

I also like to give the tips to them personally, and will continue to do it that way when I can. There is nothing wrong or incorrect about wanting to tip in person. When we sailed on Princess last year we did leave the tips on our account because we had personal choice dinning and it didn't make since to take it off at that time.

S

sail7seas

BUT YOU CAN....YOU MAY.....YOU WILL BE ABLE......to give the tips to crew persons personally.

You will absolutely be able to give them an envelope with an additional tip enclosed.

You will have the full ability to see their beautiful smiles when you personally thank them and give them an additional tip.

L

ljeanbrown

S7s,
It is not the giving of an extra tip to the cabin stewards and waiter etc. that is being talked about. It is giving the normal last night of the cruise tip in person rather than leaving it on the shipboard account.

S

seashell

Yes, I agree. It is about giving the entire tip not adding something additional.

W

wildvoodoo

Call me a rebel -- but I nearly ALWAYS have misgivings about trusting management to do the right thing...oh I have no doubt they will divvy up the tips and distribute them as they see fit, but isn't "how they see fit" precisely what's wrong with this plan? Who knows better than the passenger which individuals are the most deserving?

M

my3kids

I would worry that when the Excel spreadsheets are printed and the main office looks and sees gratuities removed from account of XXXXX employee, that it would be a red flag on that person's chart. Sure, everyone is doing it for a good reason; you want to extend the money to them in person.....but, HQ has no way of knowing that. Why not keep the automatic gratuity on the account. Figure they are giving $3.50 per day to the cabin steward, $3.50 a day to the server, $3.00 to the assistant table server and whatever is left over to all the others who you don't see. I'm guessing at the figures, but someone will figure out for sure the breakdown.

If you want to give the server $100 total for the trip, then give him $75 in cash, or if you want to give the server $100 for the 2 of you in total, give him $50 on the last night. That way YOU feel good, the SERVER feels good, and the HOME OFFICE has nothing to question.

Post Edited (05-03-04 04:22)

L

ljeanbrown

my3kids,
No ,they still report the tips that they get in cash as they would always do.So it in no way would reflect badly on them or make their performance appear to be lacking.The cruise lines are aware that many passengers continue to tip the way they used to.Home office won't have anything to red flag as the tips in envelopes ARE reported and the employee's file would not suffer.

M

my3kids

If these are not US citizens, and are working on a ship registered somewhere other than the US, are you sure they have to report tips? They are not subject to US Tax law.

S

sail7seas

ljeanbrown....curious how you know all of this to be fact??

I'm not saying it isn't; nor am I saying it is but I am wondering how you know these things you have written to be true.

L

ljeanbrown

My husband and I were seated with some Carnival Corp. people at lunch last year on the Grand Princess. My husband was curious and asked about it. He wanted to know about both methods of tipping and explained why we liked to give our tip personally. We had heard somewhere on the boards that they reported their tips and he asked the same thing about whether or not it would look bad for them if their tip was removed and given in person.They said they had received many customer comments about the auto tipping and many people still preferred not do it that way. They reluctantly said that all tips are reported wether they are in person or by auto tipping and that it would not reflect badly on the crew member if the tip was given in person. They said it was the same process on Princess and Carnival and eventually on HAL. We did leave our tips on our account for this cruise because we had personal choice dinning and had many waiters and asst. waiters during this cruise, so it was the only way to do it.They did say that while it was the passengers choice as to how they tipped the cruise lines do prefer the auto tipping.

Post Edited (05-03-04 09:59)

H

hbogart

The only thing I don't know is exactly how much HAL will be giving each service person of the automatic tip. I havd heard if you remove the auto tip, then ALL cash tips from your particular service people must be pooled. So how much of what you actually give does he/she get? An average amount, or what YOU intended for him/her to get by handing them the cash?

And, if you do leave on the auto tip so the person gets to keep all of his cash tip, as I have heard, how much do you cash tip becauase you do not know how much of the $10 per day your cabin steward gets, your waiter, etc...

L

ljeanbrown

HB,
That I am not sure of, but I read a post below where Shipmaven explained it a bit. I think she said if it was removed it wouldn't be pooled , but I could be mistaken. I would be interested in what they really do as far as pooling the tips, if that is what they do. I have heard the same thing on Princess about pooling but it was if you left it on your acct. because of their PC dining options. I heard that on posts from cruise addicts, I don't know first hand.

B

Bruce

While on the Duckendam last week, I posed this very question on several occasions, to the Hotel Manager, the Food and Beverage Manager, as well as several others. I still have not gotten a straightforward answer, but, this is the best I can do.

Under the present system...giving tips directly to the individual, they can keep all the tip and do not have to share.

Under the new system, automatic tipping, 10.00 per day per person, some of that money is going to behind the scenes personnel...cooks etc. The various individuals kept trying to tell me this is what the crew wanted, that they were big believers in sharing with each other. I never could get a straight answer to the question if you give the tip directly to the individual under the new system do they keep it or share.

If I had been thinking fast enough I would have asked my stewards what they understood the deal to be, and what did they want. I intend to ask this question of them when I cruise next. Talking to people, passengers, TA's etc... I have been absolutely shocked at how many people really believed you don't tip on HAL. For that reason alone I am sorta in favor of automatic tipping, even though I do have some problems with it, and am certain, there will those who have tips taken off and will not tip anyway.