Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Half Moon Cay

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by LUV2Cruz2, Jun 17, 2004.

1. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

I've been hearing so much about Half Moon Cay. Never having sailed with HAL before, I guess it's a silly question to ask anyone to describe it, but can someone tell me...What does it offer for a couple old broads in their 50's and 70's??

I live on a beach so snorkeling, parasailing and that type of activity isn't important, but do they have hammocks and shade to just "lollygag" for awhile? Will I need to take any cash or credit card onshore with me to purchase anything other than trinkets if I choose? Since it's HAL's island, can everything be purchased with my HAL card? These might seem like silly questions, but sailing a new line brings new questions for me!

2. june24

june24 Guest

I've been to Half Moon Cay several times. The only time cash is needed is if you want to rent a locker. Since the island is owned by Holland America, any purchases are applied to your shipboard account. On the island are several souvenir shops, water rental equipment places, cabana or umbrella rentals, and two outdoor bars. Many people just find a chair and relax for hours. The water and sand are beautiful and worth the trip. There are some hammocks on the beach. Any time I've gone, there are plenty of chairs in the shade. Near the main bar is a covered area with table and chairs. It's nice to relax in the shade and listen to the small band play music.

I know you'll have fun. I'm working on a cruise for later this year with HAL and look forward to Half Moon Cay most of all.

3. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

4. DOn't miss the Angel fish in the Snorkeling area. Buy the fish food they sell on the beach($1 or $2) and just wade in. Throw a few pieces and they will be circling you almost begging for more food. I though this was amazing. They were almost trained and very beautiful. We will be back in nov on our Transatlantic Crossing and I will be feeding the fish for sure.

5. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Plenty of room to just chill out. Probably the nicest private island I've been to. The best point is very clean beach and nice sandy bottom so you're not tripping and stubbing toes on coral.

6. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

I have read several reviews, professional and private that this island is the best of all of them!

I remember years ago when I went on my very first cruise in Florida on the Emerald Seas, they had a nice island with hammocks all over the place, shade, sun, snorkling, barbeque, and everything else and I had a great time!

This one sounds as though it will be really really great!

7. maw

maw Guest

Keep asking the good quesdtions luv2cruise I am learning so much. Thanks

8. Rosie

Rosie Guest

We really enjoyed our first visit to Half Moon Cay this past January and I look forward to visiting it again. HAL personnel announced that there would be more improvements made to the island and that they would be adding horseback riding. Sounds like fun!

9. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Guest

On our last trip to HMC, which was Feb 2003 on the Zaandam, I parasailed and took digital video and stills over the island and ship. Rita remained on shore as she would not go. I stupidly left the camera on a table in the Ocean Bar that evening and lost it and all the film! It was never turned in! I think I was more disappointed on losing the film more then the camera. We have since replaced it via Ebay and I plan on parasailing again with the camera on our New Years Zaandam cruise--our first repeat ship. We love the island, however, we also remember we missed it on our first HAL cruise on the old Westerdam in Oct of '99. The weather caused a cancellation of our stop.

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

We absolutely love HMC as one of our favorite places on earth....literally.

We've been fortunate to visit there at least a dozen (maybe a few more than that) times but have also been turned away at HMC a number of times.

One time on Zaandam, it was a beautiful bright sunny day but the seas were rough. It was far too dangerous to drop tenders and it was so sad to sail off without getting to go ashore. Of course, no one wanted to see anyone hurt trying to tender pax.

Other times we arrived in pouring rain.....no point in going to the beach, obviously.

For the first three cruises we booked that offered a stop at HMC when HAL first bought and developed the island, we did not get there. I started teasing Captains that I didn;'t believe they really had such an island.....couldn't prove it by me. We had yet to get there in three tries. :(

So, I guess my point is you have to keep in mind the brochures really mean it when they state "conditions permitting". There are times when conditions do not permit.

11. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Sail,
    Wonder if you could find out the percentage of times they can't tender in? If anyone has the inside track so to speak and the "ear" of the Captain it has to be you !!!!

Your mission if you accept it is what are the odds we make it to HMC? Report back here after your July cruise.

12. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

John....Think I'll take a pass on that job, if you don't mind :) I wonder if anyone has calculated what the "drop the tenders" percentage is. My guess would be (and it is
    only a guess) that it is about 70% of the time that pax can go ashore at HMC.

What do you think the odds are?

13. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Guest

Well, we guess you could come up with a close percentage based on your own experiences. Especially those who have been on multiple HAL cruises. We have taken four HAL cruises with HMC on the itinerary and have missed one and was forced to leave 2 hours early on another. S7S your 70% is very close based on our limited experience.

14. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I don't want to jinx myself.

15. june24

june24 Guest

I wasn't aware trips to HMC were ever cancelled. I've been on HAL for four cruises in the last 3 years at different times of the year (Jan, March, June, October), and on each of these cruises, we were at HMC as scheduled.

16. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

June....count your blessings, as they say. :)

You've been lucky.

Hope we are all as lucky in the future.

We always love our "day at the beach" at HMC. We try very hard to not book a Caribbean cruise that does NOT include a day there.

17. Beryl

Beryl Guest

Luv2Cruz2....I have only sailed one time with HAL (I am a Princess cruiser usually) and I just loved Half Moon Cay. Every time we plan a trip to the Caribbean I am sorely tempted to book with HAL again just so that I have another chance to visit. HAL offers cabanas for use on the island too but has only a few of them. They can be rented before you sail so if you're interested you might want to look into that! If we were going again I would sure try to get one. I'm sure s7s could tell you all about them.

18. earl_m

earl_m Guest

It was my first time last year visiting( nov1/03 volendam) half moon cay.

what a beautiful place ! it was one of the best beaches I have seen. I made sure
    in the fall on my 2 cruises I will visit Half moon cay both time. weather permitting.

19. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Guest

We remember from our last trip to HMC the scuttlebutt was Carnival may start using the island. Has that happened, or was it just a rumor?

20. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

That's the first I've heard of it. It doesn't seem too likely. There are times when HAL will have two ships there at the same time. If you threw in the Carnival fleet, it seems like it would be overwhelmed. I guess I'm trying to say "Carnival, keep your grubby hands off HMC".:nono