Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Has anyone used scotchgard on material luggage & what cleansers do you use?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Cricket, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Cricket

Cricket Guest

I have a friend who used her new Samsonite Sahora Brights luggage on a cruise and when she got it back it had dirt marks on it and scuff marks on the hard plastic part. I was thinking of spraying mine with upholstry Scotchgard before I use mine. Is there also a cleaner she can use to clean her material part of the luggage? To let you know the Sahora Brights are very bright light greens and pinks etc. I know no matter what, our luggage gets abused but maybe we can protect it before traveling so they don't look awful after a use or two. Any suggestions sure would be appreciated!

2. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

I've given up buying nice luggage. It's a losing battle to keep it nice. My most recent set cost only $99 for six pieces. At that price if it lasts only a couple years, I won't be too upset.

Last time I spent twice that on one piece and I had to spend another $40 to repair it after the first trip. No more, from now on it's cheap and disposable, and I don't care if it looks trashed up.

As for cleaning, here's a suggestion: On our last cruise my Cruise@ddict's tote bag got messed up and didn't wash clean. So I tried the dry cleaning spot cleaning fluid that came with my Dryell home dry cleaning kit, and it worked great. Took off the black scuff marks, some ink stain and the residual red streaks from a spilled Daiquiri. The bag looks great again.

Just a warning, the bag is mostly white, and I didn't get any of that fluid on the navy colored parts. I have no idea how color safe the stuff would be on those brightly colored bags.

3. nieciez

nieciez Guest

I hear you Gayle. We went out shopping for two new roll-aboards a few weeks ago. We ended up getting the Samsonite spinner (forget the style). $150 each on sale. A few days later I seen a Ricardo brand the same size in Kohls for $70 each on sale. Luckily we still had the receipt and tags on the Samsonite cases and we took them back. I figure since we will be rolling them aboard they wont get abused as much and why spend 2x the money. And besides, the Ricardo was green like the rest of our luggage....the samsonite didn't come in green. I like to have everything the same color if I can.

4. gram

gram Guest

:wave :wave :wave

I always spray my luggage with scotchguard. I always worry about the luggage sitting on the dock in the rain. Also, it does not pay to buy expensive luggage. WE had bought a brand new suit case and when it arrived in our cabin there were two holes in it. Apparently they look like they were made from the fork lift that moves those cages around. Same thing happened to another suit case of ours. I just put those iron on patches on to cover the holes.

5. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

Just bought a new set at WalMart - 4 pieces American Touristor for $59.00. The reason we got this is there rolling duffle bag. Jim usues this alot for his weekend golf trips. It is bright red - should be easy to find on the luggage rack.

6. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Donna.. "bright red"??? not if you are traveling with me and maw :lol

I agree on the luggage issue, ours is Ricardo also.
    I would not waste money on expensive luggage for them to tear up.

And I think of the scuff marks as "age spots" and let them alone :grin

7. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Cricket, I'd suggest calling Samsonite and asking what they'd suggest.

8. maria

maria Guest

Cricket - I checked Samsonite website and here is how they suggested cleaning it :

Hardside Care
    To clean hardside luggage, we recommend using a gentle soap and warm water, rinsing well. If you would like to wax the case after cleaning, any good silicone-base automobile or furniture polish will preserve the luster and add resistance to the covering. We do NOT recommend, however, that you try to clean the luggage with a combination cleaner-polish.

Softside Care
    To clean softside luggage, we recommend spot cleaning with a mild soap (i.e. dish soap) and water. If this is not successful, try a product used for spot removal on clothing such as Spray 'n Wash, or using a foam type cleaner used to clean car mats or automobile carpets (sold at car parts stores). If the luggage has an offensive odor, use a vinegar (1 part) and water (5 parts) mixture. This may take the odor out but it will then need to be aired out for a few days. Also, we recommend placing charcoal in the bag for a day or more (depending on the strength of the odor) and close the bag. The charcoal will absorb the smell.

I am going to give it a try. I will let you know.

9. Cricket

Cricket Guest

Thanks for all your suggestions!