Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Have you ever heard of this happening to a magnet?

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by Nessie, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nessie

Nessie Guest

I had a magnet from my son's school on my car. I placed it on the gas tank door, not the body. I tried to take it off when I washed it to clean underneath and I couldnt get it all off! The magnet ripped and parts of the magnetic backing is stuck to the door! It is like cement. I tried glu gone and it would not get it off. I took a butter knife and chipped some of it off but i dont want to chip the paint. I have NEVER heard of this happening to a car magnet before. I have a suspicion that a student at a rival high school thought it would be funny to super glue the letter. I may have to replace the gas tank door. :(

have you ever heard of magnets melting to a car??? or do you think it was super glued??

2. duskbat

duskbat Guest

very strange
    Could you take a picture of this for us? Maybe its heat related. superglue would prolly leave a hard white looking mess if u try to peel it or chip it away. could be superglue. maybe fuel vapors melted it to the car. i dont know.

3. BostonsJ

BostonsJ Guest

Dusky you may be onto something. Could it be a chemical reaction? Weird........

4. gottacruz

gottacruz Guest

never heard of that, strange.
    gottacruz

5. conniecat

conniecat Guest

I would guess super glue, but what do I know, lol.

6. nieciez

nieciez Guest

Dummer. Why not call a car detailing shop and see what they recommend. Or how about trying that tar remover you can get to remove the road tar from your car?

7. Ruchela

Ruchela Guest

Wouldn't know, I've never put magnets on my car.

8. nieciez

nieciez Guest

LOL I came back and looked at this thread.....I didn't mean dummer I ment BUMMER =eek

9. Bobbie

Bobbie Guest

:lol :lol :lol I was wondering what a "dummer" was! :lol :lol :lol

10. Don B

Don B Guest

Sorry, but I understood "Dummer" just fine!:) I thought nieciez was talking to me!

If you have a vented gas cap, it could have been fumes. I think it is a stretch for a rival to happen by with a tube of super glue... I would think a prankster would deface or destroy the item, not make it permanant..

...just my opinion...

The detail shop is the best idea. If they have some MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone) it would take just about anything off. Just make sure they re-clearcoat the area once it is gone to protect the paint.

11. Nessie

Nessie Guest

thanks guys. dummer huh? :lol that's how I felt!