Holland America introduces "As You Wish" Dining

K

Krazy Kruizers

Red stripe

I read your post and noticed that you mentioned that you were going to do AYWD instead of Traditional on this cruise -- thus I didn't mention those hours.

R

red stripe

KK, Thank you for telling me the hours for making reservations for the AYWD.. that I would not have know without your input.
So they will not allow you to pick the time that most would want.. 7pm :lol For that, you will have to line up I presume.

Traditional times I know all too well :lol Hal was my mothers favorite line.

I will be sure to tell you how it went when we return.

Conniemc.. I feel your pain :lol

Unfortunately over the years of cruising, I have seen so much change, and not for the better in my opinion.But it is just my opinion.

I used to love the table being completely set when you went in to the dining room, and telling the waiter what I wanted, while watching him remove the silverware that you would not need for that meal. I miss the sommelier, I miss three formal nights, and two semi formal nights (or whatever the term was) Then 'smart" clothes for the rest of the nights..
I miss a lot of things.
But as long as they do not totally do away with traditional dining.. like NCL.. and just offer this as an additional option, then that is OK with me.

And .. yes.. I know that a lot of people love these changes.
This is what makes the world go around.. That we do not all like the same things :grin

S

sail7seas

I don't know why you miss Sommelier........ HAL calls them Cellar Masters and each ship has one. They are fabulous and we have gotten to know a number of them quite well. Very knowledgeable and personable. Interesting folks to chat with.

I also don't know why you miss three formal nights on HAL? Just about all HAL ten day cruises have three formal nights. It is a rare exception when there are less and always a good reason for it.

Happy you know about the Traditional Dining Times but perhaps someone else reading this thread does not. I hoped that information could be helpful to someone if not for you.

Hope you have great cruises.

C

Conniemc

sail7seas said:
I don't know why you miss Sommelier........ HAL calls them Cellar Masters and each ship has one. They are fabulous and we have gotten to know a number of them quite well. Very knowledgeable and personable. Interesting folks to chat with.

I also don't know why you miss three formal nights on HAL? Just about all HAL ten day cruises have three formal nights. It is a rare exception when there are less and always a good reason for it.

Happy you know about the Traditional Dining Times but perhaps someone else reading this thread does not. I hoped that information could be helpful to someone if not for you.

Hope you have great cruises.
I could be wrong, but I beleive he was referring to the many sommeliers in the main dining room, who keep your wine bottle corked each evening, and have your glass and preferred vintage waiting for you when you are seated. I'm trying to figure out it I have to now order a new bottle each venue I go to, since I cannot get traditional dining (wait listed) and my "waiter" will be different each evening. Makes things far more cumbersome and ordering by the glass is far more expensive.

S

sail7seas

I could be wrong, but I beleive he was referring to the many sommeliers in the main dining room, who keep your wine bottle corked each evening, and have your glass and preferred vintage waiting for you when you are seated. I'm trying to figure out it I have to now order a new bottle each venue I go to, since I cannot get traditional dining (wait listed) and my "waiter" will be different each evening. Makes things far more cumbersome and ordering by the glass is far more expensive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No....... .She (Red Stripe is a woman :) ) means Sommelier as that is what HAL used to title the person who is now called Cellar Master but has similar responsibilities as Sommelier.

What you are referring to are Wine Stewards.
HAL has Wine Stewards stationed throughout both levels of the dining room and they are the ones who give you the wine list, who pour your wine, who will cork and keep it for you to finish the next night. They are still very present on all HAL ships. For those of us who have Traditional Dining, we have the same Wine Steward for the duration of our cruise, night after night.

For those with AYW, Dining it is likely you will have different wine stewards same as you have different dining stewards. They mostly stay at the same stations and serve the same tables. If you are at a different table night after night, you will have different stewards. Wherever you are seated ther is a Wine Steward assigned to your section. If you do not see him or her, request your dining steward send him or her over to your table.

That is one of the many reasons we prefer and always have Traditional Dining.

S

sail7seas

I tried to edit my post (but it was too late) to add that wherever you sit in the dining room, you will have a wine steward assigned to you.
If you do not finish your wine and want it saved and recorked to be served the next night, speak with the steward. I am sure they have a sytstem by which they can identify where your wine has been stored and it can be brought to you the following night by whichever steward is serving you.

Should not be a problem. Surely many other guests have come before you who have done exactly that and the Stewards handle it for guests.
Same as they do it for those with Traditional Dining.

S

sail7seas

I guess an employer can title their employee anything they want.

HAL chooses to state their job title as Wine Stewards.
To use other when speaking re: HAL could lead to confusion.

B

Beryl

To me the term Sommelier means someone with more training and responsibility than a Wine Steward. Your Wine Steward should be very familiar with the types of wines available in the dining room, their price and what types of food they go well with. The Sommelier would also have this knowledge (probably even more extensive knowledge than the wine steward) as well as the responsibility for managing and maintaining the wine cellar.

I had ordered a bottle of wine that I did not completely finish at one meal....the next evening we went to the Pinnacle Grill and it was no problem to have my bottle served to me there.

I must say that the Wine Tasting that I attended on the Oosterdam was one of the most organized and educational (as well as fun) tastings that I have ever attended. It was excellent...especially for those who were not very familiar with wines.....and it was easy to tell those that were not very familiar with wine :grin ! It was well worth the cost of admission.

C

Conniemc

Good to hear Beryl!
As long as they know what Korbel Brut is, I don't care WHAT they call themselves!
=lolgang

R

red stripe

I feel like I was graded while I was away :grin

I did not mention a specific cruise line in that paragraph.. so I can see where it caused confusion.. I was listing what I missed on cruises.
Table stuff on Hal.. formal stuff on everyone else :lol NOT on HAL

After a long and very full cruising life on HAL; I switched to Princess (mostly) and RCI and Celebrity back in the late 90’s.
Playing the field :grin

I have only had a few cruises on HAL during the past 10 years, and now have two more booked with them, so I need to brush up on what they do, or have done away with these days.

What’s in a name? :lol “Sommeliersâ€ÂÂ

Yes, that is what HAL used to call the cellar masters.
I can still see in my minds eye..the young man I knew who had just completed his training, and that night he was wearing his tastevin around his neck. He was so proud.

This is a link where they answer a few questions in what they are vs. everyone else :lol

http://www.mastersommeliers.org/faq

Connie.. you join a long list of people who thought I was a guy :grin

C

Conniemc

Yup, always thought you were a guy...dunno why...Red Stripe Beer I guess. I remember being on Infiinity 1.5 year ago and when I went back on her 3 months later, my champagne bartender, who had become my close buddy, was promoted to Sommelier. He WAS SO PROUD wearing his tastevin...whole personality changed. No more magic tricks, etc. Now the Serious Sommelier, at least to most passengers....I was very happy for him.