Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Holland America vs. Celebrity

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by viet630, Jul 22, 2005.

1. viet630

viet630 Guest

Being that both lines are considered to be premium lines I would like to hear the opinion's of those who have sailed both line's. In some cases we can sail HAL for almost half the price of Celebrity.Is Celebrity worth twice as much money? Or would we be just as satisfied on Hal?I would like to hear some honest and unbiased opinion's. Thanks in advance. Viet

2. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I believe there isn't really much difference between the cruiselines anymore. They have sort of morphed into the same thing. Personally I thought Celebrity offered better food and service. HALS rooms tend to be a bit larger in comparable categories.

To be honest I look for the itenerary, ship, price and see what seems to be what I'm looking for. I'd say I'd choose Celebrity over HAL, but not for twice the price. Alot depends on what specials they are running and how full the ships are getting. My 10 day Celebrity cruise the year before last was almost identical in price to last years HAL cruise. Shop, Shop, Shop.........

3. Frank Black

Frank Black Guest

Viet 630;

I have been on numerous Celebrity and HAL cruises. But in the past two years or so, Celebrity has pushed prices and nearly eliminated deals. So I have been on 4 HAL cruises in two years and zero Celebrity. Both lines are similar in amenities, staffing etc. I like the Millennium class ships a lot, but the Oosterdam is pretty close. Plus the new HAL improvements (Signature of Excellence) , like beter beds give it a leg up. So basically, I get better prices on HAL and cruise twice as much.

4. viet630

viet630 Guest

Frank
    Thank you for your input.This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Viet

5. viet630

viet630 Guest

By the review's that I have been reading on this board and other's it seem's that HAL is really improving in servive and quality. I am glad to hear they are doing better.May be they will give Celebrity a good run for thier money! Viet

6. NellieB

NellieB Guest

Neither HAL nor Celebrity are "Wild and Crazy Party Ships"! (All of us know where to book when we want one of these from time to time.)

Celebrity ships are HAPPY SHIPS! Passengers always seem to have an easy good time interacting.

NellieB

7. viet630

viet630 Guest

NellieB
    Is Celebrity worth 2 Times the fare? In some cases they are double or close to it in price. What is your opinion? Is happy worth double? I can be pretty happy if i'm sailing for free. Viet

8. Frank Black

Frank Black Guest

Crystal might be worth double, but not Celebrity. Stay with a newer HAL ship and you won't go wrong.

9. viet630

viet630 Guest

Thanks Frank. This is probably what we will do.I have been getting some pretty good offers for Captain's Club members, so maybe Celebrity is starting to feel the pinch from thier high prices and no discount policy's.We really like Celebrity but cannot justify the difference in price. I am going to wait a little longer and see what happen's price wise, several people in the know think that the economy is going tank because of high energy prices and all the storm damage.If it does extra's like a cruise will be one of the first thing's to take a hit.We will see. Jmho. Viet

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

We've cruised Celebrity about 5 or 6 times. We've cruised HAL over 40+ times.

Guess that tells which we prefer. :)

Not that there is a lot wrong with Celebrity.....we just happen to feel very strongly that HAL does it way better than "X". There would have to be a very special reason for us to book another "X" cruise. We currently have 5 HAL cruises to look forward to.

The new larger Vista Class ships offer a different HAL experience, IMO, than the smaller Statendam Class, Rotterdam/Amsterdam and Volendam/Zaandam. I find the cruise experience on the somewhat smaller HAL ships to be more to our liking.

11. NellieB

NellieB Guest

viet: I've never seen the price of Celebrity DOUBLE that of HAL. Normally, they are about the same in pricing.

sail7seas: Like HAL but like Celebrity better because the passengers seem to be MUCH happier and MUCH more friendly. This is an important factor to me.

Best, NellieB

12. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

That's wonderful, Nellie. It's terrific we have choices.

I find it hard to generalize about my fellow pax. One cruise the general mood/feeling aboard can be so different than another cruise. For the most part, we find a similar demographic but you can never predict IMO. If there are a number of large groups aboard, that can change the dynamic radically.

13. viet630

viet630 Guest

Nellie
    Zuiderdam$ 579.00 outside cabin. ---- millenium $1100.00 outside cabin. So I geuss you are correct it is not double the price.But it was close enough for generality's or so I thought. The $29.00 is not much of a difference, but the $550.00 is in my book. Viet

14. Being on the newer end of cruising scale (just five so far), I do love HAL but am still open to other possibilities. We tried Princess last fall and found it not as much to our liking.
    I've considered Celebrity and may someday try it if the price and itinerary are right, but one thing that baffles me about their ships is that I often see other poster's photos from their trips and the ships look so stark! Are they really like that? Particularly when the obligatory photo in front of the staircase is shown- they look very industrial.
    I really enjoy the fine art and traditional wood fittings on the HAL ships. Would enjoy hearing from someone who has sailed on Celebrity as to how the ships compare in decor to HAL ships.

15. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

LandLocked.......You are very observant and I very much agree with you.

I have mentioned a number of times in the past after we returned from 'cruising on the competition' how much we missed beautiful art, decorating and flowers etc. The art and decorating on HAL ships is so much to our liking and seems to be missing on ships we have sailed with other cruiselines. The last ship we sailed on another line was Ocean Princess just before she transferred to P & O. I never saw a fresh flower anywhere on that ship. We were in their largest Suite for back-to-back cruises and the flowers in our Suite were silk!!!! Their was a huge print (tremendously oversized), stuffed into a frame, thrown on the wall of the atrium and called art. No teak decks. Dining Room was 'functional' IMO
    Indoor/outdoor carpet where HAL would have had a fabulous teak deck.

BUT.....I have to admit the Suite was fabulous!!! Marble bath that was at least 5 times the size of the "S" bathroom on HAL ships. :) Not worth it to us if the rest of the ship leaves us cold.

This is just my personal observation and I'm sure there are many that disagree and that is better than fine. No matter how many times we cruise on the same HAL ship, we never tire of the wonderful art and magnificent floral arrangements and the elegant dining rooms etc etc etc etc :)

JMHO....

16. sail7seas Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > The last ship we sailed
    > on another line was Ocean Princess just before she
    > transferred to P & O. I never saw a fresh flower
    > anywhere on that ship. We were in their largest
    > Suite for back-to-back cruises and the flowers in
    > our Suite were silk!!!! Their was a huge print
    > (tremendously oversized), stuffed into a frame,
    > thrown on the wall of the atrium and called art.
    > No teak decks. Dining Room was 'functional' IMO
    > Indoor/outdoor carpet where HAL would have had a
    > fabulous teak deck.
    >

Ewww! Silk Flowers? I don't like silk flowers and have no use for them. The only exception was a wedding i went to where the bride was allergic to flowers, so she had to carry something! I think the "little things" are really what seals the deal and makes the cruise so fabulous.
    We sailed in a mini-suite on the Diamond Princess and it was the first time we'd ever had a balcony. The cabin was quite nice and we spent a lot of time in it, however I was disappointed in the dining rooms, as well- low ceilings and none of the grandeur of any of the HAL ships we've sailed on. The balcony we had was also open to the entire side of the ship (no privacy) which is a design flaw well known on that ship. Not only did we feel that others were watching us, it also lent to more of that party feel with pax talking to each other and hooting and hollering at the shore side folks upon departure from each port. Not sure if this is routinely done on other ships because, like I said, this was our first time having a balcony, but we do not cruise for a party atmosphere and would have preferred to sit and idly watch the water and shore go by without having to hear a lot of party conversation from others.

17. NellieB

NellieB Guest

viet630 Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Nellie
    > Zuiderdam$ 579.00 outside cabin. ---- millenium
    > $1100.00 outside cabin. So I geuss you are correct
    > it is not double the price.But it was close enough
    > for generality's or so I thought. The $29.00 is
    > not much of a difference, but the $550.00 is in my
    > book. Viet

Maybe you have found a REAL DEAL! For EXACTLY "Apples-to-Apples" the same thing I could like HAL better! LOL!