Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

How are we doing? The State of Cruise Addicts

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by John, Jun 14, 2010.

1. John

John I'm on Island Time Staff Member

I stumbled on this feature and figured it would be helpful to everyone here as well. If you click on the NEW POSTS link on top of the forums menu. It does a quick search and allows you to see the newest posts in all forums. I think this is a good way for users like me who don't click on all forums to look but, would rather reply to questions I can possibly help or participate it someway.

Like I said, this is the New Posts link on the top of the forums main menu.

I also think this simplies things, as you can be on all forums without having to browse around.

2. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

That is a GREAT reminder John...I knew it was there but never think to use it. I'll have to make a effort to use it daily! :doubleup:

3. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got rid of this thing ... :doubleup: :boogie: :doubleup: :clap: :doubleup:

[​IMG]

4. Lurline63

Lurline63 Well-Known Member

I've kept quiet for a few days as I wanted to find a way to express my thoughts in a clear, non-controversial, non-confrontational manner that also offered a potential solution.

I'll start with the solution: Bring back the chat feature, and hold scheduled chats a couple of times a day.

I know that's easier said than done from a technical perspective, but please hear me out. Reading through this thread, and another active one, validated that I am not alone in my thinking that there are two, for lack of a better word, classes of members on this site -- those who go on the official C@ group cruises, and those who do not (or, more likely, can not). Someone mentioned earlier that the board seems to be a meeting place for the regular, official group cruisers between cruises. The other thread, in which a potential group cruise is being discussed, included a statement that there would be further discussion of the potential group cruise on the upcoming group cruise. And, as for the mention in the same thread that there will eventually be official group cruises that can fit into everyone's allotted vacation periods -- I've been hearing this a couple of times a year, every year, for eight or so years. Does all of this add to my feeling of exclusion? You bet.

Yet, the live chats enabled me to get to know whoever wished to join, from the comfort of my own home. We had such fun in these conversations, that generally ran for about an hour. Some people stayed for the whole time. Others popped in and out. We talked, we joked, we comforted -- we had real time conversations as a group of friends. We were all equals, and some solid friendships formed during these nightly get-togethers -- whether or not we had ever met in person.

Let me be clear that this is NOT a complaint about the upcoming official group cruise discussion. There are valid reasons for holding it at the time of year that has been decided upon. Yet, even though I have been very fortunate to meet many @ddicts in person in Atlantic City and San Francisco, the fact that I still feel this way suggests that there is something missing.

(It's also a reason I suggest scheduled chats a couple of times a day, not just in the evenings, as not everyone is available in the evenings.)

JMHO. Thank you, John, for soliciting feedback.

5. Mgram

Mgram Well-Known Member

Awwwww.....that's sweet John! Ok......I guess.......though I still don't quite understand. The only negative thing that I recall ever really complaining about is the Photo Gallery.....and the lost of many photos important to our history here. You DID NOT see me jumping on the "I HATE CHANGE" bandwagon when you went to this software. I could see beyond the challenges to most people and embrace these great bells and whistles. I have to sit on my hands when I see everyone jump in your #%*& when you make some really positive changes. They won't even TRY it. Hey.....I'm getting old, I don't like change either, but I CAN AND DO go with it and actually learn something once in a while. My message to others, in a polite way is "try it, you really might like it when you put forth some effort to understand it".......But no so quietly in my head, I am saying "Quit your bitchin' ..... John is giving us a free home to communicate about something we all love.......grow up and get over it the world does not revolve around you!"

As for not posting much.....I really don't post anywhere much anymore.....except FACEBOOK. My blood pressure reaches dangerous limits when I go to Cruise Critic (You have managed to make everyone play by the rules here.....C@s is a great, friendly environment).......sheesh, what pompous @$$es!!! But, sometimes I do like to join the roll calls for cruises that I will be on.

Since YOU are promising to be more visible.....I will, too......how's that? :sunny:

6. NiteStar

NiteStar Well-Known Member

Hi John. The main reason I don't post on the other boards other than the Aft or Safe Harbour is because I don't have anything to add to those boards. Even though I've been on over 20 cruises, I'm not good at being able to answer a viewer's question regarding cruising, but I do read that board occasionally and if I did have any info that might help, I would most certainly add it. I love Cruise Addicts and feel close to some of the posters even though I've never met them. At a point a few years ago, I did wander over and join CruiseCritics and CruiseMates, but soon found out that I really did not like those boards. CruiseAddicts feels like home to me and I can't picture myself anywhere else. Thank you John, for keeping this board going and even if I might not like some of the "tweaks", I certainly do appreciate all your hard work! :sunny:

7. John

Hi Lisa, We currently have a new Facebook chat bar at the bottom of he page. It also includes a Chat Room feature where all registered users can log in and meet in a chat room. The Chat Room feature has been somewhat of a hit and miss feature at times. I would love for it to work so maybe a set schedule and renewed participation would help. Would you like to host any of these chats and set some times that work for you? At the end of the day it takes advertising and participation for any of this to work.

The group cruises can be started by anyone as long as they have a group in place, this would mean having a minimium group in place (around 8 cabins of dbl occupancy). I'm open to having more groups as long as they are productive and managed properly from start to finish. Many who have wanted to do groups didn't have enough people for a group or asked that I use alter how I do groups for them. This is a business on my part so some things are fixed and not negotiable. Since the groups are a reflection on the community, so they need to be done properly by the group leaders and the agents. Lastly, Cruise Bookings are down in this economy and the exisiting groups aren't selling as well compared to the past.

I appreciate you taking the time to express your feelings. Its my hope that I've created a platform to share everything about cruising and beyond. We have been doing allot behind the scenes to help the community and now Its my hope that members like yourself will feel good about what we have in place and feel good about participating. Its all about enjoying yourself and sharing within the community of friends and fellow Cruise Addicts.

8. John

Thank You Nightstar, I appreciate it. I'm hoping everyone will enjoy what we have and share about cruising and life. :)

9. John

Hi Pat, I'm sorry If my thought is not being expressed clearly via text alone. So I'll keep it simple and say that I genuinely appreciate hearing this from you. Since your one of the original members and neighbor of mine. :) Its a deal, I do intend to be posting more and more. The baby is about to turn 2yrs old. Like I have been saying, I'm happy with the way the site is working so I'd like to use it more and see others having fun. We've done allot of geeky things to help our community grow.. but, nothing can take the place of being active. Lisa just wrote about having more scheduled chats and others have mentioned they really enjoy the community compared to others. So hopefully the planets will align and we can bring back some more of the good ole' days and post more, chat more, meet together more and sail together more in the future. We are all Cruise Addicts! We can't let this place become boring. :)

:doubleup:

10. John

Hi Cruizer, I'm glad your happy its gone. That was my reason for removing it.

11. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

John - does that mean we should direct any gripes to Cruizer and let him do the talking? :whistle: I am kidding...

12. nieciez

Just a thought John....is there a way to have a "button" that shows up when your in any forums to click on "New Posts"....maybe it could be placed next to New Thread.....but maybe on second thought that would be confusing...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  13. Mgram

Mgram Well-Known Member

:eek:k:......got ya this time John! :doubleup: :cheer:

See folks how the typed word can be confusing sometimes? :scratch:

14. John

Hi Denise, It looks like the NEW POSTS in each forum are in BOLD when you first see them. Any new threads that are replied to rise to the top, so they aren't missed. So its fairly easy to follow new posts in the individual forums.

I'm actually learning allot now just by using some of these new features of the forums and new photo gallery. Have you see the new NCL Epic's photos? I just posted some new photos in the Gallery and on the forums (in the right one). :)

15. nieciez

LOL John, I am blind.....I meant this feature above that you mentioned and now I see that is is on every forum in the yellow box between Calendar and Search. :doubleup: I am familar with the float to the top and Bold of active threads :biggrin:

16. John

Hi Denise, I just used it on a forum also.. very cool. :) Thanks.. learning something new everyday. :)

17. glo-ree-bee

glo-ree-bee Well-Known Member

Well here goes!

I used to be a regular on this site. I LOVED it. But that was because we were able to cruise and this site seemed to cater mostly to people who were crusing or going on cruises etc.

After we retired on a somewhat strict budget we found we could not cruise like we once did. Therefore, I truly felt I no longer had anything to share or anything that others would find interesting.

Sometimes, and I do mean sometimes, there were people who knew each other through group cruises and of course, they had more in common with one another and although I am not thin skinned, I could see that some people would find this sort of a "shut out". Not everyone coming in knows another person on this thread.

I stayed for a long time but then I strayed. I went to another cruise site because they provided some silly games that people could take part in as just people who enjoyed playing games to silly topics. This allowed me, who no longer was going on yearly cruises to feel part of a "group" who talked about other things other than strictly about cruising.

I came back in about a year ago because this site has always been my first love but by this time I had lost all the sense of belonging. That isn't necessarily any of you fine people's fault. It is just something that happens.

I WILL be going on a cruise in October with 19 of my relatives and friends and I am very excited about this. But this just might be our very last cruise --- at least for some years. Expenses do not allow for frequent cruises any more.

Now in the past we were overwhelmed when Red Stripe's daughter, sil and two grandchildren came to the Galveston port to give us a bottle of champagne and anniversary card. Our daughter, sil and 4 year old grandson was going with us on this special anniversary. THEY could not BELIEVE someone would drive to Galveston to give us this royal and unexpected send off. As you can see, this special happening has made a lasting impression on us and just shows how warm and accepting this group can be.

Yes, I have lost touch and mainly because since we no longer cruises we didn't feel as though we didn't have anything to offer this site. This site is for cruisers and a lot of times for those who know each other through group cruises.

Now I have given my 2 cents worth. I do not give it in a mean spirit --- only to let you know why I am no longer a regular. But I still love to come in and play your games. This way I can be part of the group.

Love ya, cause the ones I do know still feel like family and I have a warm feeling when I see their name.

grb

18. bob

bob Chief Engineer Staff Member

glo-ree-bee

the site is for everybody, you have a lot of information from past cruises, a lot of insight, a lot of just plain conversation to contribute. All of that is part of the community. We even have a couple of games........ Well OK, not pogo type games but...........

This site has never been about having to cruise so many times a year to be a valid member or contributor, it is about being here and offering what you have in your backpack at the time, cruising, conversation, opinion, on and on, that is what Cruise Addicts is about.

19. nieciez

Glo-ree-bee....I can understand where folks might get the impression that our chatting like in Maw's office is closed knit but it is strickly close knit and I know for myself, I have deleveloped a number of relationships with people on this site that I have NEVER met in real-time....ie Mary Ann, Tango, KathyC, Korina, GloBug, BostonGal, KK, TexasSue, ConnieCat, Reggea, Twinkles, etc etc but that doesn't make them less "my friend" then those that I've met on a group cruise. The bottom line is you have to open yourself up to joining in....otherwise you are outside the Office looking in. Please feel free to jump in with two feet as you and all are always most welcome. :cheer:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  20. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Well-Known Member

Glo-ree-bee - good to see ya posting. I consider everyone on here a friend - some more than others - but hey some days I like my hubby more than not! lol

You are welcome to post anywhere anytime - jump right in. Lots of times I don't have a crusie booked - but I am still here.

Each person needs to take responsiblity to post what they want and not wait for someone to do it. I try as much as I can - -

Of course there is cruise talk - but then how are we gonna get to know each other if we don't talk about other things besides cruising - so post girlfriend.

You want games - tell John we want a game page - doesn't hurt to ask! lol