Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

"" How did we ever survive"" ??????

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by JOHN(NJ), Jun 20, 2005.

1. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Children of the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

2. seamom

seamom Guest

Okay...I got stuck at the blue cheese dressing.........so what's supposed to be wrong with that ( I hate it so I'm interested to know why my intuition was right! :lol)

And as for Little League..........well in this area it is about the only competitive league going here but I remember our local park Tball....so funny. You'd ask what the score was and they'd yell..EVERYONE WON!! :lol

3. cycofan

cycofan Guest

We don't keep score at our son's sporting events either, and it kind of bothers me. Then, they all get a medal for being on the team. We try to tell our son in a way that a 7 year old can understand that there will come a day when it matters if he wins or loses.....it won't always be enough just to "try".

4. jk

jk Guest

Thanks John! I can remember staying outside all day playing with my friends during the summer. Riding my bike, playing hide and seek in the neighborhood, staying outside till it was dark and no one worrying because it was safe. I grew up not that far trom where I live now. I can remember waking up on 4th of July and having a huge bag of fireworks for each of us kids to shoot off that day. We lived on a
    cul-de-sac and we would have huge parties with lot of families pooling their fireworks and we would have our own show at night. I really miss those days and am very sad that my kids didn't get to partake in those kinds of things.

It is scary to think what kind of world my kids kids will grow up in :(

5. yogibear

yogibear Guest

You know you're getting old when you can remember all of those things. There are so many more from my childhood that I wish my kids could have experienced!!.............Karen

6. Ruchela

Ruchela Guest

We made it, didn't we? I think we were happier. I didn't even know we were poor, my folks gave us everything we needed. There are so many things we did that I think the kids of today miss out on.

Just my opinion, of course.

7. Jill B

Jill B Guest

Soooooo true! We grew up like that down here too. Thanks for sharing.

8. The Cruiser

The Cruiser Guest

So true. Thanks for sharing J.

9. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

Good one John. thumb

10. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Yes, that describes my childhood. :)

And those mud pies were delicious...

11. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

Yes, we did all of those. And most importantly we had manners. Kids now days seems to be real lazy on that.

12. geezer

geezer Guest

Amen to that... and i was so poor, i couldn't even afford a middle name.

13. Chippsetter

Chippsetter Guest

I remember all of it. I also remember the whippings I got. I deserved most of them. They never caused permanent damage (of course I did not always learn the first time). I knew that I was loved and still are. I remember sledding down the hill on runner sleds and the hill was the street in front of the house.

14. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

I remember just about all of that too! Too funny & very accurate! Wonder what my kids will say in 30 yrs.?

The most fun we had was sliding down a massive steep slope on cardboard boxes. And, we used to skateboard down a huge sloping street with all of our legs crossed so we were hooked up together. The cars simply had to wait for us! :grin I can remember all the wipe-outs we had, rolling on the asphalt, laughing. :lol

15. Chippsetter

Chippsetter Guest

I remember waxing those metal runners real good to get more speed. Had a friend in school who lived on the side of the mountain and back then the road up was not as busy. He used STP on the bearings of his skateboard and did get additional speed down it BUT the bearings got too hot on the steepest part and fused stopping the board at the same time. Of course he didn't stop.

16. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

:grin..nice reminder..Thanks John...:)..Joanne

17. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Well the seniors have spoken.......................... LOL