• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How formal is formal?

K

Kircol

We are new to Princess and am wondering how formal the foraml nights are? My partner is Scottish and would dearly love to wear his kilt but I wonder if it is worth bringing if the general scene is not so formal?

N

navymom

Personally, I think it would be extremely cool to see a real Scotsman (is that the correct term?) in the kilt of his clan on formal night. =COOL

As far as what people do, there are usually about half of the men in tuxedos and the rest in business suits. Some women are in actual formal gowns and others in cocktail dresses and similar clothes.

My husband always rents a white dinner jacket--we started that when our boys were younger--they wanted to act like they were James Bond!!

DS1 was at the Naval Academy when we went on one cruise and he wore his choker whites (equivalent of black tie). That got a lot of attention (which I loved, but I think he hated).

So my vote would be to wear the kilt.

B

BruinSteve

Definitely wear the kilt...
Most cruises I've seen a fair mix of tuxes and dark suits...Both of which are acceptable for cruise formal nights...and I've seen the occasional oddball who doesn't quite get it--wearing a tweed sports coat or even no coat at all...

BUT, the two exceptions that I have actually seen on cruises--both of which are ABSOLUTELY acceptable and proper--are Scotsmen in kilts and military personnel in full dress uniform...

J

juggles

Some don't bother and stay in casuals.
In the centre of the ship where it all happens, the captain speaks for a short while from a balcony. There's champagne then everyone goes to do their own thing.

K

Kircol

thanks everyone. I think he will go to the trouble of taking the kilt. He does look particularly gorgeous in it. And I can't wait to see the military uniforms. They look so smart

C

Cruise cutie

:thumb I have been on a 15 day cruise 85% Brit..talk about Smashing in KILTS!! WHOOEE and same with Military Full dress!!..

and I don't care ANTIME.... I see a MIlitary Person in Full dress..on Formal night.. not only does he/she get a handshake or salute... they get a DRINK!!...CHEERS!!.

.as for formal wear as someone who's cruised Princess for going on 15 years JMHO... Bring on the gowns and tuxes.. and even for our family cruise this November!!..:thumb..Joanne

M

maw

I especially enjy seeing the occasional Kilts on a cruise and the dress uniforms. Smashing really.

N

navymom

[quote Cruise cutie]:
and I don't care ANTIME.... I see a MIlitary Person in Full dress..on Formal night.. not only does he/she get a handshake or salute... they get a DRINK!!...CHEERS!!.

Joanne[/quote]

I'll let my son know :pride

B

Beryl

Awww shucks Cutes...if I'd known that I'd have made my DH wear his old mess kit on formal night :grin ! :)-D

C

Conniemc

[quote juggles]Some don't bother and stay in casuals.
In the centre of the ship where it all happens, the captain speaks for a short while from a balcony. There's champagne then everyone goes to do their own thing.[/quote]

Of course, those who choose not to follow the suggested dress code are asked to stay out of the main public areas, yes?

M

Mbandy

Of course, those who choose not to follow the suggested dress code are asked to stay out of the main public areas, yes?

No, that has not been my experience. I like to stay in my tux throughout the evening on formal night but some people choose not to.

As far as military dress, that's great to see.

One formal night on Celebrity I saw an elderly Japanese gentleman dressed in a Japanese Imperial Naval officer's uniform (circa 1940's) Without medallions and rank, of course. His wife was dressed in full Geisha attire complete with Kimono and white face make up. I thought they looked great!

C

cruiseroommates

I was at Princess. A guy was wearing Jean and nice shirt. I asked is that you are wearing? He said.. yes, that's $200 a jean!

LOL

B

Beryl

conniemc said:
Sad to say, no! I think the day is coming very soon when formal nights are going to be a thing of the past....and perhaps that is not all bad. Somehow it does take away from the evening atmosphere when folks in formal wear are milling around in the same areas (and I am not talking about the passageways and open decks but the shops, lounges, theaters, etc.) as those who are not even dressed in "smart casual" garb but rather in the shorts and tees that they have worn throughout the day. I personally was not thrilled to be sitting in the theater to have a man plonk himself down beside me in his stinky tee shirt! He told me he had changed after dinner to be comfortable! ::eek:::eek:::eek: I held my tongue but what I really wanted to say was "If your clothes fit you properly you would be comfortable!!"

Oh yes Kircol......formal kilt attire it entirely suitable for formal evening. Your partner will look smashing!!

C

Conniemc

Yes Beryl, you and I have been on the same page with this for some time. Even Celebrity has lowered its standards of dress this year. Sad. Cruising isn't anything special anymore. Like I've said before, glad I got to sail when it WAS special for many years. Have a great holiday weekend!:daisy

J

Jay

Of course, those who choose not to follow the suggested dress code are asked to stay out of the main public areas, yes?[/quote]

Do you mean that if I don't want to stay in my tux after dinner and get my shorts on and go to a lounge, that would bother you?
Jay

J

Jay

[quote Conniemc][size=medium]If you have to ask, you'll never get it.[/size]:cool:[/quote]

WOW. No need to be rude. I was asking you a question.

C

Conniemc

I wasn't trying to be rude Ray...I was joking. I think the question was answered several posts ago by Beryl.