Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

How good is a rear facing balcony cabin?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by ernieandbert, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ernieandbert

ernieandbert Guest

Booking a cruise on the Voyager and i have a choice of a rear facing balcony cabin or regular side balcony (also twards the rear of the ship).

Agent tells me that these are great rooms and highly desirable. I am not sure. I think it will be wierd not to be able to see us coming into port or hanging your head over the rail to see where you are going.

Anyone have past experiences in these rooms? The cabin #'s we are booking are 6390 & 6388.

Thanks all!!!

Ernie

2. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

It is true, you will not be able to see coming into port (unless you have a balcony on the rear corner). However, that is a very limited amount of time (and you can always go on deck for that). Being able to sit on your balcony and watch the whatever is behind you (wake, island, sun, moon ...) slooowly disappear over (under?) the horizon is a very relaxing way to spend part of your day (or night). I have been on both (a side balcony and a rear facing balcony). I am booked on another rear facing balcony in April. Nothing beat a rear facing balcony. If you can get - take it!

3. lonw

lonw Guest

Cruizer Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > It is true, you will not be able to see coming
    > into port (unless you have a balcony on the rear
    > corner). However, that is a very limited amount
    > of time (and you can always go on deck for that).
    > Being able to sit on your balcony and watch the
    > whatever is behind you (wake, island, sun, moon
    > ...) slooowly disappear over (under?) the horizon
    > is a very relaxing way to spend part of your day
    > (or night). I have been on both (a side balcony
    > and a rear facing balcony). I am booked on
    > another rear facing balcony in April. Nothing
    > beat a rear facing balcony. If you can get - take
    > it!

I have had the rear corner balconey, and it was one of the best rooms I have had. I booked it again for upcoming cruise. The balconeys are also larger in the rear than on the side side cabins. We even had lounge chairs.

4. yugfff

yugfff Guest

5. Ali

Ali Guest

7388 and 7688 have a circle cutout on the side of the ship that you can also look out, you do not have that option on deck 6. If you were to book 6388 you cannot get to that circle cut out from your balcony. Also be aware that on deck 6 you will be looking out onto the roof of the crew deck below on deck 5. You can do a search on webshots with "aft cabins" in the search area and find some great shots of the cabins.

6. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

I'm with Ali. Get off of deck 6 aft. Deck 7 is a much better choice. We just had 7388 on the Explorer and loved it. Lots of room, great view, etc.

7. lonw

lonw Guest

I agree with above statements we were on deck 8 the first time we had the aft cabin and will be on deck 9 this time.

8. willing292

willing292 Guest

I've had both, and the rear is great because of the size. I even slept out there one night on one of the four lounges.

9. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

When I booked my aft cabin on a voyager class ship, it was recommended not to book anything under the 8th deck.

10. Christoffer

Christoffer Guest

Had a corner aft balcony on my first Navigator cruise and it was really nice.
    It was great because there was one lounge chair on the balcony.
    The cabin was 9390.

11. LUVTOCRUZ

LUVTOCRUZ Guest

Well, due to all the recommendations, I just booked cabin#7388 on the Mariner for May 2006. I've always booked side balcony cabins because I was scared of too much vibration in the back. But, if Sailing Rose & Ali recommend these cabins, I'll probably like them too. If you have any other info on these cabins, please post. Thanks!

Another thing, are there elevators or stairs nearby, or do you have to walk up to the hump?

Also, the reason I booked this cabin is because you can look out of an open porthole on the side of the ship and see where you are headed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said above, this is my first aft balcony.

12. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

Luvtocruz -

I hope this helps. I did a search on "aft balconies Mariner" and came up with the following link ...

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=aft+balconies+mariner&new=1&source=search_results_top

You will notice many pictures of cabin 7688 (starting on the third row down). It is the other aft corner balcony cabin (in other words 7388 is the starboard aft corner cabin on deck seven - 7688 is the port aft corner cabin on deck seven).

Again, I hope this helps.

13. LUVTOCRUZ

LUVTOCRUZ Guest

Thank you Cruizer! That link answers a lot of my questions!

14. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

Luvtocruz - :) :) :)

15. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

Lovtocruz you won't be sorry. We had 7688 on the Mariner and loved it so I'm sure you'll love the opposite side of the ship. Only downfall to these cabins is the long walk from the stairs and the elevator. DH complained at first but fell in love with the Balcony and now he's hooked!