Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

How to fly to Seward, Alaska??

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by John, May 18, 2003.

1. John

John Guest

Can you tell me how to fly to Seward, Alaska? What Airport do you fly to and how do you get to the port? Not very clear.

2. Geez and I was going to say by plane. Capt are you telling us something here????????

3. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

John - Seward is the seaport for Anchorage. The cruise lines offer motorcoach transfers. It's a gorgeous drive. I'm sure Chippsetter, our resident expert, can fill you in with details.

So...what ship are you sailing on? :lol

Post Edited (05-18-03 20:18)

4. nieciez

nieciez Guest

What about Whittier? I hear some of the lines will be using Whittier in 2004.

5. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Denise - Whittier has been another port for Anchorage for years. But both Whittier and Seward require transport to or from Anchorage. Whittier is around 75 miles from Anchorage whereas Seward is around 127 miles.

Post Edited (05-18-03 20:41)

6. BurBunny

BurBunny Guest

Also don't forget about the train option from Anchorage to both Seward and Whittier. :)

Post Edited (05-18-03 20:50)

7. PEB

PEB Guest

The airport you must use is Ankorage. The trip from Ankorage to Seward is beautiful and if you have the right person giving naration it can be quite interesting. Also if you are lucky you may see a beluga whale, some moose or bears on the way.

8. 2TallMike

2TallMike Guest

Flap your arms, click your heels, repeat, "There's no place like Nome....":grin

9. Chippsetter

Chippsetter Guest

There is an airport in Seward but there are no scheduled flights there from Anchorage. You would be flying into Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) then either staying in Anchorage or Transferring via bus or train. Neither Seward nor Whittier are ports for Anchorage. Anchorage has it's own port. It is just that more cargo goes to the Port of Anchorage. There is again a cruiseline porting in Anchorage, Cruisewest. They are a smaller line of ships. The one out of Anchorage will be cruising to eastern Russia to Nome and back with stopping where things are interesting to see (not necessarily at a port) as well as schedule port calls. Princess used to come straight to Anchorage.

10. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Crystal used to go straight to Anchorage, too. Don't know why they changed.

When I said Seward and Whittier were ports for Anchorage, I meant it in the sense that those are the two ports that the cruise lines use at the "North End" (Anchorage) of their itineraries.

11. Lisa

Lisa Guest

I did some research and it seems to me that you would have to take an "air taxi" or charter a plane from Anchorage to Seward if you want to fly there...most take the train, drive, or cruiseline transfer.

Post Edited (05-18-03 22:43)

12. Taters

Taters Guest

There is a small air taxi service based in Anchorage called FS Air. Go to <http://www.fsairserviceinc.com> and you'll have all the information that you need. I've flown with them several times over the last 15 years or so and have been very happy with their service.

Have fun!

Taters

13. Chippsetter

Chippsetter Guest

Shipmaven, it is probably the dockage fees that have them at Seward now. Whitter was dropped too until within the last couple months that the city council reversed their fee increase that drove the cruise lines away in the first place.