Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

If you could choose one state ----

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by glo-ree-bee, Jan 9, 2012.

1. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Awww so nice to you to leave the choice to Barb :doubleup: To bottom line for us staying in VA was the job market for Leather's career skills and excellant availabilty of military medicine, one of our big benefits as military retirees...and yet we are still close enough to visit my family easily after living so awfully far from them so many years.

2. Rubysky

Rubysky Well-Known Member

I'd like to stay in Southern California. The weather is great, the crime rate is low in both cities where we have houses and I'm close to everything. The snow has the decency to stay in the mountains where I can admire it and it is less than an hours drive to frolic in it (although I would have to be demented to do that.) It isn't humid in the summer and I don't have to screen in my backyard to avoid insects like in FL.
    But the government makes it harder to live here so it looks like we might just cross the country to live near our daughter. We have enough in savings to purchase a house there and the income from renting our CA houses should take care of us.

3. Hooked

Hooked Well-Known Member

After reading this I gotta stick with being a snow Bird but eventually staying in Florida full time. This time of year we aren't holled in going from the car to the garage etc. Monday we took a 4 mile walk on the beaches of Anna Marie Island. Tuesday we went fishing on Sarasota Bay in 78 deg temps. Tomorrow we're going to Siesta Key beach it's gonna be sunny and 75 Deg. If I lived in Western NY I would be sitting in front of the TV.. We go to tiki bars with bands (which there are many) all winter long.. We Skype with the kids, they come down here to visit when they want. Cheaap vacation for them. They have there lives and I have mine. We're not living for our grandchildren. We're out having fun!

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Hooked - blah, blah, blah. :biggrin: Actually, sounds like the good life to me. :doubleup:

5. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Regina, is Cindy still here in Fredericksburg?

6. Einstein

Einstein Well-Known Member

Hooked ... Sounds like reasonable logic to a WNY native. :biggrin: Save us a spot at ALL of those Tiki Bars PLEASE. :cheer: Tobyn ... fear NOT as there is ALWAYS a swimming hole or AC conditioned area nearby in FL for the few months U will need it until your body adjust. U will just be swapping the snow shovel and parka for a fan and swimsuit. :clap: It is interesting to read EVERYONE's take on their choice of retirement and thankfully we ALL do like different things or one location would become pretty populated and expensive to live. :doubleup:

7. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

The good life

8. George C

George C Well-Known Member

I understand western NY is beautiful , but I would not want to spend a winter there, ( my wife is from the Buffalo area), love the warmer climate in Texas. We do enjoy trips up there and to NYC.

9. Rubysky

Rubysky Well-Known Member

Denise, yes Cindy & family still live in F'burg. They bought a house so their coming back to CA isn't in the near future if at all.
    I've been looking online but am having problems with finding something that Ken needs (no hoa) and the lack of a real grocery store nearby. I'm used to having a full grocery within 1 mile of home, what I'm finding has food shopping 3-9 miles away.
    We will be visiting during Easter vacation to check things out.