Internet access on Star Princess

C

Carben

Just got our paperwork for 11/23 cruise to Mexico. Hubby wants to know if he can connect his own laptop to the internet on the Star or do we have to use their equipment in the AOL Internet Cafe. Anyone out there have this info?

S

Sunshine

Don't know about Star bit I have sailed on her sister, The Grand, and we could not use our own laptop. The Business Center was very inadequate in my opinion. There were only 5 computer stations there and they were always busy. And they charged an outrageous $7.50 for 15 minutes block. (ie if you use 5 mins you are still charged for 15 mins. If you use 20 mins you are charged for 30 mins). The pursers desk had about 3 laptops that you could use at a table near the pursers desk, but the connections were awful and kept getting disconnected or freezing up.

I hope it is better on the Star, but this is what it was like on the Grand in June.

C

Carben

Thanks Sunshine. I agree with you. Think hubby will have to make do with either the Internet Cafe on board, or try an Internet spot on shore. He's still taking his laptop though for downloading photos. I'm trying to talk him into buying another photo card with more memory. I think that would be more practical...spacewise if nothing else. Wish me luck. Computer nerds have a hard time parting with their computer for more than a few days at a time.

P

Pat

Just returned from the Royal Princess and the policy for Platinum Captain's Circle members was in total confustion. We used the Business Center twice and were told to take our receipts to the Purser's office on the last night and have the charges credited. When we did this the Purser said that the free internet access only applied to the wireless laptops on the Royal Princess (and that the policy will be different on each Princess ship), but since the staff had been confused he credited the charges.

Pat