Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Its got to be said

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by mlzangel78, Jul 28, 2005.

1. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Lemme tell you....the cruiseline industry is much kinder than the airline industry when it comes to this.

I used to work for a small airline that was affiliated with America West. We flew to smaller colorado cities that, in the winter, often had very inclement weather. We'd get "weather advisories" where we actually had to announce to the boarding area that their flight *may* be diverted to another city and IF they were diverted, the airline would not provide them transportation to their actual destination.....if the plane was diverted, they'd be totally on their own. It was completely up to the captain as they got closer, so they needed to decide if they wanted to board the plane and possibly be stuck in another city, miles away from their original destination.

The airline offered no refunds, no credits, and they would not pay for a bus, rental car or plane flight if the plane got diverted. After all, they really have no control of the weather, right??? OMG...we had people threatening to sue and getting all kinds of upset. I understand it's a frustrating situation, but people got ridiculous. I mean, HOW DARE the airline even think of not landing in unsafe weather and inconvenience me for goodness knows how long!!!!

Anyway.....I agree with the original poster....you gotta roll with the punches. I try to look at every vacation as an adventure....maybe it won't go the way I'd most prefer, but I worked hard to get there and I'm still on vacation, for crying out loud!!!

2. TropDaddy

TropDaddy Guest

NOW LISTEN ALL YOU CRUISE ADDICTS I JUST POSTED A NICE ARTICLE ABOUT STORMS AND NO PORTS AVAILABLE. READ IT SO YOU CAN SEE ALL YOUR MISSING BY GETTING OFF THE SHIP.MELISSA I LOVE YOUR ARTICLE "LMAO"

3. TeriM50

TeriM50 Guest

silly me, why didn't I think of that????

4. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

You know i just read 3 reviews that are posted today on the VOyager should have been bermuda trip to canada new england instead... 1 of the 3 was good, I ofcourse dont think you can substiute Bermuda for canada new england, like you could substitute eastern to western caribbean... and sure no one was packed for it and the shipboard credit was lame, wth no future cruise credit... BUt to spend your entire vacation signing pettions and threatening to sue.. come on ... what a waste. Then i read a review about a guy who complained about the Fantasy... how on earth do you spend 3000.00 on a 3 day cruise?? i mean everytime ive gone ive never spent more than 600.00 and that includes cabin, airfare , grat, drinks, and an excursion... i guess if you book a suite, i don tknow , but any who, if i was spending 3000.00 on vacation it certainly would not have been on a 3 day cruise,,, try a 7 or 10 day :)

Anyways I am so happy you are thought my post was great, i love seeing everyones smileys... people need to lighten up... and enjoy that they are not at home working,.. i love that poeple say they are going to sue, when the cruise docs clearly state, a subustitute of ports is subject to change at any time,,, i guess those people would have rather been in a storm in rainy bermuda... then im sure they wouls have sued for that any how :)

5. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

You know, Melissa....I thought the same thing when I read all of those reviews. More people need to have the attitude of the person who wrote the good review of the Voyager. And, yeah....I was wondering how the one guy spent that much on the Fascination myself.....maybe he took his whole family and was including cross-country airfare?? =dunno

6. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Melissa.. I'm not sure of just how many people equate a land based vacation with a cruise vacation and don't realize of just how different things really are. To get upset becuase their cruise vessel rolls around in the ocean......."oh my this ship is just soooo big, how can you feel movement!?!?! "

Uh, no. Your "such a big ship" is a tiny, little, insignificant, spec in the Atlantic ocean.

I am absolutely positive that all of the passengers do not read the cruise documents and know the risks. If you cruise during hurricane season, there is a very, very good chance you won't get to where you wanted to go. I'm not saying anyone deserves it, but for heaven's sake..just be aware of these things that things like that can and probably will happen

Judging by the reviews and all the reports on the TV, some of the people actually got upset!! One guy on the news told the reporter this vacation was a living hell.

Hell. Yea, Sure. Then I supposed he'd rather have a maniacal supervisor breathing down his neck and chewing off his earlobes trying to meet deadlines when it's 10 minutes before the 5 o clock whistle than to go to Canada.

7. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

It just kills me how many people seem to sabatoge their OWN vacations! I've never been on a vacation where every little thing was how I wanted it to be. I've learned to go with the flow and adapt to whatever the situation may be.

Ken, you're right....even the worst cruise is better than a day at work!!! :lol

8. AndrewC

AndrewC Guest

After reading their reviews, I do feel for these guys. For the second year in a row, my wife and I are taking a cruise in the heart of hurricane season. I like the idea that the schedule could change. It adds a bit of excitement. Like was said above, one island is pretty much the same as the other.

But taking them to Canada? That's a bit harsh. I'd rather the captain find some nice warm weather in the Atlantic and cruise to nowhere for a week than go north. Heck, it doesn't even sound like they had clear weather up there. I'm sure the somebody didn't have a good day at the office over that decision.

That being said, it's more time to hang out at the bar. And I bet finding a deck was easier. So cheers! I swear if Carnival takes me to the cold north, I will scarf down their food with a vengance. (Who am I kidding, I probably will anyways.)

9. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

On the other hand Andrew, I understand the dissapointment. I really do. I'm sure they all got all phsyched up and got all excited becuase they had it in their minds that they're going to the warm caribbean waters. But the alternative of subjecting the ship, her crew and passengers to the fury of Mother Nature would have been much more harsh. Forgot who said it before but it's a real litigous world we're living in now. Maybe RCCL would have gotten sued no matter what they did.

Taken Voyager into a hurricane, or into a cool Canada.

Hey Jenni! =hug just speaking from the heart.

10. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

Sure i Feel for those guys too, but the point is when you cruise during hurricane season, you take the chance of missing some or all your ports of call. Plus I heard on the news this morning this year was supposed to be very bad for the rest of hurricane even up the eastern seaboard... On the other hand lets put it in a different perspective, if they were supposed to go the canada new england, and got re-routed to bermuda do you think they would have been as UPset?? I dont think so. Im sure even if they stayed on course to Bermuda, and hit rough seas the same people would have complained anyway, and according to the review the port of bermuda was ONLY open for 2 hours one day, the cruise lines cant help 2 things one namely the weather, and 2 what foreign countries decide to do with their ports....

Either way they werent going to Bermuda wether the ship headed there or not. Some people said ohhh we should have just stayed out at sea for 5 days, , yeah im sure that would have gone over real well...

I wish i was on a cruise right now, no matter where it was headed.,., instead im sitting here at my desk at work , its 99 degrees out and humid as all hell, and IM WORKING,,, im not on a cruise ship somewhere drinking frozen drinks, i dont have anyone waiting on me, i dont even have a buffett close enough to work to pretend.... what a rough life those people have, that they were STUCK on a cruise ship for 5 days,, the nerve :)

11. Mr. Utley

Mr. Utley Guest

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't it obvious that you may get re-routed in the event of a hurricane? And don't you get a price break by booking in that season because of the risk of encountering a hurricane?

12. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

Mr utley, you would think that it is obvious, I also seem to think that the people who posted those reviews , probably arent Cruise Addicts, or any other board addicts veterans at all , and have also probably never booked during hurricane season, much less HUrricane season to BERMUDA of all places...

I am booked to Bermuda next year at the end of September 06... I know that theres still a chance i could get rerouted, and if i do , well then heck even though its not free MAINE/ New england LObster house sounds good to me,... but i also had enough forsense to book at the end of hurricane season,,, Also its hot enough here in NJ right now the LAST place on earth id want to be in is the caribbean,,, canada new england yes, alaska, sure, europe, heck yeah... I know that this may be the only time of the year some people can cruise, but then you take your chances cruising during hurricane season, you take a chance cruising at any time really.

My friend cruised to the Bahamas in January last year, I have cruised there in Nov, and Dec,,, she said it was horroble weather, rough seas, and the bahamas was cold,,, i can say we were there in nov , and we had goosebumps,,, weather can not be predicted.... and thats that,,, it can be a bad weather cruise any time of the year. BUT it could never be a bad cruise... even IF the ship sank :) those tenders are comfortable enough, and id prob get a refund... so id still be a happy camper,, then muster drills would finally pay off :)

You never see the poeple who post the reviews on the boards, I love the poeple who have only been on 1 cruise and say ILL NEVER sail with that line again... ill tell you what if the cruise was free id bet theyd sail, and still want a shipboard credit :) lol