Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

John and bOB have been playing

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by Charles, Feb 7, 2009.

1. herb

herb Guest

Well, at least my screen in no longer dark blue , with darker blue writing :lol

I still can't believe that anyone actually noticed a change in the font. Looks exactly the same to me as the former font.... could it be that my computer didn't accept the new font change =huh

2. GloBug

GloBug Guest

[size=large]Every time I have difficulties logging on to C@, I just figure John is playing in the sand box again... and come back later to try again.[/size]

3. John

John Guest

Herb your web browser normally defaults to a different font if your PC doesn't have the websites chosen font installed.

4. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Ah... that's why X Roman is showing up on my pc and not Georgia. Ok, learned something new...

5. The Cruiser

The Cruiser Guest

One, I don't read the NY Times, Second, I'm with Suer and JacquieP, I need a magnifying glass to read the front.

6. Rubysky

Rubysky Guest

Suer, if you are using Firefox you can get a Zoom Toolbar. You will have icons to put on the top toolbar " zoom in, zoom out & reset." This is great if I want to stretch out with my feet up on the desk. I just keep clicking "zoom in" until it gets to the size I want.
    edit: forgot to add this
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=zoom&cat=all

7. John

John Guest

Due to the complaints I've reset the font settings until I have more time to review the changes.

8. suer182

suer182 Guest

Thanks Ruby, but with this change back, I can see again. Maybe I aint that old after all.

9. GloBug

GloBug Guest

The x-height in the serif fonts are perceived smaller then the x-heights on the sans serif fonts, which is why is seems this font now is easier to read. Also, the more rounder fonts like Arial or Helvetica (which is the type of font you are seeing now) have a perceived difference in the spacing between letters, which makes it easier for a lot of people to read then serif fonts like X Roman or Georgia. Georgia is more rounded then X Roman, so it is becoming the choice of long editorials for news papers, etc. But, for shorter pieces sans serifs fonts seem to work better for some.

It's all a toss up. I've been where you are John, good luck! Maybe Georgia in a larger font with looser kerning? LOL...

10. John

John Guest

Thanks Glo! :)

11. suer182

suer182 Guest

Oh for cripe sakes Glo, why dont you add in 1/4 cup, 1 tsp, saute and mix, bake in there too and really confuse the crap out of me. geesh

12. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

What bottle have you been hitting, Glo? :dizzy Can you repeat that in SIMPLE English? :grin

13. BSeabob

BSeabob Guest

Like Rubysky says.....you should all just switch to Firefox and get the size you want.

Bigger is better :)

14. GloBug

GloBug Guest

What's the problem? =huh It makes perfect sense to me!

Ok, for those of you who don't speak TYPE-ESE, I will try.

"Serifs" are the small finishing strokes on the end of a character. "Sans serif" fonts do not have these small finishing strokes. (Serif fonts have also been shown to be helpful to dyslexics, assisting in their recognition of certain characters.) Here is an example of the differences.

[​IMG]

X-height is the height of the small x in a typeface

[​IMG]

So even though John changed the font over to a serif font (Georgia), probably the specified size of the font remained the same. It just looks smaller. And the serif font was probably initially difficult for a lot of people to read because of the difference in line widths within the same font. (See how the x on the Arial has strokes that are the same width, and the x on the Times New Roman font has a thick stroke and a thin stroke.)

15. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Now that you mention it...and now that I've cleared away a few cobwebs in my brain...I've got zoom capabilities in my lower right screen just above the tray. I can enlarge the screen, too. :idea

16. GloBug

GloBug Guest

>> Like Rubysky says.....you should all just switch to Firefox and get the size you want.

BSea, can you tell us how to do this? Some of us aren't as computer savvy as the rest of you!

17. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Glo - may I settle simply for what "looks" nice to me and is easy for me to read? :grin :angel

18. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Oh gosh, I guess I missed a whole lotta replies. I didn't even see Ruby's posting. Thanks, I downloaded that toolbar for my Firefox. Ok, forget everything I said!

19. bOB

bOB Guest

From the Tools dropdown, select Options then the Content tab.
    In the middle block you can select the font type and point size then select
    the advanced button and at the bottom of the top block uncheck allow pages
    to choose their own font.

Bsea uses an apple, he has farmerfox.............................

20. J.E. M.

J.E. M. Guest

Thanks John and bOB for all your hard work keeping Cruise Addicts up and running.